[Q] Q: Controlling the LED with PhoneAlarm or Lightflow or some other app

Search This thread

Andyw2100

Feb 11, 2008
I've used PhoneAlarm from PocketMax since 2007 and LightFlow for years as well, and was always able to get one or the other to control the LED on whatever phone I was using. But I have messed around with both apps on my new HTC One M8, and can't get either one to function properly.

I think I've really only seen the phone's LED generate two colors--green and amber. Is it possible those are the only two colors it is capable of? I find that hard to believe.

I see warnings and special modes and things in the LightFlow configuration options for HTC phones, indicating that HTC phones are different, but nothing I try gets me any other colors.

I'd settle for being able to have just a few different colors for missed calls, missed texts,, etc.

Anyone know of a way to get either of the apps above controlling the LEDs, or have a different app that --IS-- working to control the LEDs with this phone?

Thanks!

I've used PhoneAlarm from PocketMax since 2007 and LightFlow for years as well, and was always able to get one or the other to control the LED on whatever phone I was using. But I have messed around with both apps on my new HTC One M8, and can't get either one to function properly.

I think I've really only seen the phone's LED generate two colors--green and amber. Is it possible those are the only two colors it is capable of? I find that hard to believe.

I see warnings and special modes and things in the LightFlow configuration options for HTC phones, indicating that HTC phones are different, but nothing I try gets me any other colors.

I'd settle for being able to have just a few different colors for missed calls, missed texts,, etc.

Anyone know of a way to get either of the apps above controlling the LEDs, or have a different app that --IS-- working to control the LEDs with this phone?

Thanks!

Not sure if you're talking about front LED's or rear flash LED's but I have FlashMe working on my M8.

Andyw2100

Feb 11, 2008
Not sure if you're talking about front LED's or rear flash LED's but I have FlashMe working on my M8.

Thanks. I was talking about just the main, front LED. I'll have to check out FlashMe. Thanks for the tip!

Edit: So after taking a look at FlashMe, it appears that app does, in fact, just control the camera's flash. I'm trying to use the phone's main LED to see the status of things. So, for example, if I've been away from my phone, or if it is on silent, and I have a missed call, I might see the light blinking red, and similarly it might blink purple for an unread text message.

Last edited:

ParaScoob

Dec 18, 2011
I'm trying to figure this out as well. Have you found any app that works so far, Andyw2100? Or are we just stuck with green and Amber?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Andyw2100

Feb 11, 2008
I'm trying to figure this out as well. Have you found any app that works so far, Andyw2100? Or are we just stuck with green and Amber?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I posted in another thread that I have LightFlow working, I'm pretty sure I included the details of my configuration, which differed slightly from someone else's who also said it was working for him.

Light Flow, when running the LED test, can actually generate three colors - green, amber, and red--but the notification options can't make use of the red. So for now it's still limited to two.

Also, since posting, I've discovered that from time to time, probably due to the bug that others mentioned, the LED will just stop working completely.The "fix" I have found is to uninstall and reinstall Light Flow. As long as the settings are backed up, this isn't that big a deal, but it's not a great situation, of course.

I've written to the Light Flow developer, but apparently he is away on vacation for a while. I'll write again when he returns.