I'm done with this tablet, about to put on ebay

Search This thread

bkmaracas

Jul 10, 2012
Cardiff
Safe mode helps you to troubleshoot by confirming whether or not a 3rd party app is the problem. This can save a lot of guesswork, then you can focus on the right areas to actually locate the problem. Plus its a quick way to see how tab should behave under optimal conditions. Its helpful, as opposed to not helpful.

Sent from my Nexus 7

SayWhat10

Jun 27, 2010
Miami
www.msn.com
Safe mode helps you to troubleshoot by confirming whether or not a 3rd party app is the problem. This can save a lot of guesswork, then you can focus on the right areas to actually locate the problem. Plus its a quick way to see how tab should behave under optimal conditions. Its helpful, as opposed to not helpful.

yeah,i get that its "helpful",but you neither havent explained HOW to confirm whether a 3rd party app or not is the problem. I mean go to safe mode then what? nobody has elaborated. is it the method that I said may take up to a whole year?

Last edited:

stiggy2012

Nov 15, 2012
yeah,i get that its "helpful",but you neither havent explained HOW to confirm whether a 3rd party app or not is the problem. I mean go to safe mode then what? nobody has elaborated. is it the method that I said may take up to a whole year?

I was hoping that you'd leave this forum and go and moan about a different device elsewhere, however you recent posts are actually pretty funny. :good:

Can you list all of the 180 apps you need to have installed? I suppose others could then check the list and inform you if they think the app is likely to be problematic? Though personally I only want you to post a list as that's likely to be pretty funny too! :cyclops:

Reactions: styckx

SayWhat10

Jun 27, 2010
Miami
www.msn.com
I was hoping that you'd leave this forum and go and moan about a different device elsewhere, however you recent posts are actually pretty funny. :good:

Can you list all of the 180 apps you need to have installed? I suppose others could then check the list and inform you if they think the app is likely to be problematic? Though personally I only want you to post a list as that's likely to be pretty funny too! :cyclops:

Not sure what your problem is buddy, but if you dont like me just move along to another thread, why cause problems here?

so if you want to provide some constructive help, fine. If not, why not just kick rocks?

Im not posting my apps for a couple reasons:

1) you seem like 180 is lot, but its my tablet and i can have as many apps as i want on it. And even if i have dumb fart apps, in the worst case they should NOT make my tablet reboot. Did google set a limit on the number of apps I can have? How does anyboy have the right to dicate what I put on my tablet that i purchased for hundreds of dollars out of my hard earned money?

2) being that its almost been a full day on my new tablet, and i have the EXACT same apps installed and have not experienced a reboot, I fail to come to a conclusion that i have a faulty app(s). If so i would be experiencing reboots right?

at 3pm it will be a full 24 hours that I havent experienced a reboot. That will be a record so far. I just hope you didnt jinx me!!!

Last edited:

jonstrong

Jan 20, 2012
www.jonathanrstrong.com
... snip ...

at 3pm it will be a full 24 hours that I havent experienced a reboot. That will be a record so far. I just hope you didnt jinx me!!!

Good luck! I've had my Nexus 10 (stock, unlocked, rooted) since early December, and it's been generally fantastic. I was actually skeptical about the value of a tablet until I got this and had a couple of months to use it. Truly wonderful, especially as I sync up the ecosystem between the N10, my Galaxy Nexus and my PC (tools like Chrome to Phone / Mobile, Dropbox, Box, OneNote, Google Docs, Evernote, etc.). I know that people with issues aren't thrilled when I post about my "near perfect" Nexus 10 -- but I'm not sharing this to be argumentative -- only to reassure you and others that when the device is working properly, it's wonderful. I had very few issues with freezing or reboots, and these were all early on, and generally happened only when using Chrome. When I switched to Chrome beta the lagging issues almost disappeared, and since the 4.2.2 update, I've literally had zero issues.

I hope you get to experience the same success with your Nexus 10. Great device!

rxnelson

Aug 30, 2011

I reflashed 4.2.2 and mine has been up for ~109 hours so far. I'm starting to wonder if it is a memory leak or something that takes time to show itself. Last time I made it over 130 on a fresh flash so time will tell.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

derrick603

Jan 10, 2013
I reflashed 4.2.2 and mine has been up for ~109 hours so far. I'm starting to wonder if it is a memory leak or something that takes time to show itself. Last time I made it over 130 on a fresh flash so time will tell.

While I can't say for certain that my reboots are caused by the same problems as yours, I don't think memory leaks are the issue. I've been keeping an eye on reported free memory via Settings->Apps->Running Apps and, assuming that what's reported there is accurate, I've always had 600MB or so free around the time of my freezes.

This morning, I had two reboots in an hour with light usage, I'd be surprised if memory leaked that fast.

xNiiCADEMUS

Jan 5, 2013
www.youtube.com
The Nexus 10 was made for those who like to tinker. And as such, the reboots aren't as big a problem as they would be on other devices since they're easily solved by flashing a custom rom.

If you want something working flawless out of the box and dont see an issue with a walled garden, get an iPad. If you can put up with manufacture skins and a lack of speedy updates, get a Note 10.1. If you want to play russian roulette with your build quality, get a Transformer TF700. If you dont care about vast application support, get a Surface. If none of those sound appealing, give up on tablets.

I have a Nexus 10, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, Asus tf300 and an Asus tf700t and I must be a luck one because my Nexus 10 has been almost perfect. I do wish the battery life was better though. I love the tf700 as well but the tf300 and the Galaxy tab 2 leave a lot to be desired.

rxnelson

Aug 30, 2011
While I can't say for certain that my reboots are caused by the same problems as yours, I don't think memory leaks are the issue. I've been keeping an eye on reported free memory via Settings->Apps->Running Apps and, assuming that what's reported there is accurate, I've always had 600MB or so free around the time of my freezes.

This morning, I had two reboots in an hour with light usage, I'd be surprised if memory leaked that fast.

Admittedly grasping ...what was your uptime prior to those reboots? It is similar to my experience where it ran fine after flash then rebooted twice in 20 minutes.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

plznote

Jun 1, 2011
You got a new tablet that works for you? That's great, lets stop arguing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

bkmaracas

Jul 10, 2012
Cardiff

Well if you Go to safe mode and use the thing, time passes..... No reboots > its prob an app and yes you may then have to bugger about with many apps. If Reboots > you don't have to do that and so seek alt solutions. Ergo you know more after doing it than before and have not wasted energy in the wrong direction since entering safe mode is so easy.

Also, folk browsing forum are free to ask you to stop sunbathing on the street if its a bit off putting..

I hope 'my little pony' runs flawlessly for our little princess from now on... :D

Sent from my Nexus

Last edited:

SayWhat10

Jun 27, 2010
Miami
www.msn.com
Well if you Go to safe mode and use the thing, time passes..... No reboots > its prob an app and yes you may then have to bugger about with many apps. If Reboots > you don't have to do that and so seek alt solutions. Ergo you know more after doing it than before and have not wasted energy in the wrong direction since entering safe mode is so easy.

Also, folk browsing forum are free to ask you to stop sunbathing on the street if its a bit off putting..

I hope 'my little pony' runs flawlessly for our little princess from now on... :D

Sent from my Nexus

Well i skipped the whole safe mode thingy

With new tablet off RMA been 2 full days with no reboot. Thats not 2 months but its a record for me so far

SayWhat10

Jun 27, 2010
Miami
www.msn.com
3.5 days...... 1 freeze/reboot
definitely a lot better on the new tablet
was getting mininum 3-4 daily reboots

if you ordered from google direct, then i'd RMA
they'll send you a tablet first so that you want have to go without a tablet for even 1 second

derrick603

Jan 10, 2013
3.5 days...... 1 freeze/reboot

That's about what I get, so I'll hold on to this one. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but when I get a UI freeze and let the UI restart on it's own (by waiting 30 seconds or so), it starts to crash a lot more often than if I force it to do a full reboot with the power button.

SayWhat10

Jun 27, 2010
Miami
www.msn.com
That's about what I get, so I'll hold on to this one. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but when I get a UI freeze and let the UI restart on it's own (by waiting 30 seconds or so), it starts to crash a lot more often than if I force it to do a full reboot with the power button.

gotcha,thanks for tip
guess we wait on google to try to come u with a solution to give us a total of zero reboots, like tablet life should be

bigmatty

Feb 26, 2013
It does start to feel like a waste of time talking about N10 problems and fixes, so I barely know why I'm posting this, but...

-Right now I'm trying a re-flash of stock 4.2.2 to see if that helps
-Previously I'd considered factory wipe good enough, but then learned thats not as true of a 'reformat' as Id thought
-Previously I'd done factory reset, then ZERO apps, ZERO use and would still get a crash after 2.5 days
-That hopefully lets people know that, even if there is ALSO app-related crashes there are NON-app-related crashes
-Because there are NON-app-related crashes its IMPOSSIBLE to actually quickly trouble shoot an app (IE - what do you do, install it then wait and then if it does crash how will you tell if its the new app you added or the 4.2.2
-Yes I am aware of logcat and the k/dmsg and trace etc, but I cant seem to capture notable info in those
-We all actually use different terminology. Most of my 'crashes' or 'reboots' are more like 'sleep-of-death'
-Based on that, when some people say 'I dont have crashes' it dosent mean those of us that do wouldnt with your hardware, it could go either way
-We all have different other factors that NO ONE seems to be talking about, take for example how I like to treat the battery: I like to fully charge, unplug, wait until fully discharge. Those who 'have no crashes' maybe charge multiple times a day? (Just one example of many other factors)
-You cant discount other peoples needs with the tablet because they are not the same as yours. For example, IF I wanted to use this tablet as a primary work device then it would need to stay on so that I could then rely on the LED indicator light to check for new emails, that is what I would need my work device to do
-What if I am a medical app developer who needed this massive screen resolution for a key point in my system? Would it then be acceptable for a device to shut off "every so often because its not really a big deal"? I mean, "Sorry your life support system clicked off grandma, its really not a big deal..."
-Yeah, thats an example that exagerated for clarity :)

Anyways, speaking for myself - I'm a technical enough type a guy who can usually fix things. But as others have said, it seems like Google hasnt given us the ability to really fix this. I dont want to return my N10 or not have an N10, but I also dont want to have a device that seem unreliable, at least not for $500. The reason I speak up on these threads is two-fold: 1) Im hoping to tap into this global network of N10 users all in the same or similar boat in hopes of finding a definitive fix and 2) Im hoping those numbskulls at Google see the posts about their FLAGSHIP device and say, "you know what - just to be decent human beings we should fix this for these people."

I'm hoping the re-flash works!

NIK516

Mar 4, 2010
I'm looking at the new Sony z tablet looks nice and waterproof

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Too many damn reboots!
    Even on 4.2.2

Only good thing is the incredible ipad beating resolution.

So whats the next best tablet over this nexus 10?I'm in the market to buy like today!

Cya. I'll let you know how Ubuntu is, and you can sit behind from another 10" tablet and receive all of the future android updates 3 months behind, or a month later and half baked.
    The Nexus 10 was made for those who like to tinker. And as such, the reboots aren't as big a problem as they would be on other devices since they're easily solved by flashing a custom rom.

If you want something working flawless out of the box and dont see an issue with a walled garden, get an iPad. If you can put up with manufacture skins and a lack of speedy updates, get a Note 10.1. If you want to play russian roulette with your build quality, get a Transformer TF700. If you dont care about vast application support, get a Surface. If none of those sound appealing, give up on tablets.
    Too many damn reboots!
    Even on 4.2.2

Only good thing is the incredible ipad beating resolution.

So whats the next best tablet over this nexus 10?I'm in the market to buy like today!

Ha ha, no reboots here.....ever on any ROM. You were a baby on the note 717 forums too so I don't expect any less

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
    To be fair, its pretty safe to assume he won't like his replacement unit either! :good:
    I tried it all. Pointless now though. Already RMA'd it and new one should arrive monday according to tracking info so we'll see

So you should change the title of the posting since you're not done with it :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app