[Q] Trouble achieving S-Off

Search This thread

smvogel73

May 8, 2013
Howdy! Lemme preface all of this by saying that I'm less than a noob here....really inexperienced. Here's the background......

I rooted my DInc and I can't even remember which unrevoked tool I used. I was just reading along and punching commands and when the process was done I was rooted. I installed CWM successfully and flashed to CM7.2 which I've been running for quite some time. Lately I got an itch to try a JB ROM like infected, so when I looked into it, it clearly says I need S-off to accomplish that flash so I checked and realized I was S-on still.

At this point, I added the unrevoked-forever.zip to my sdcard root and tried to flash that ZIP by way CWM and i get these error messages:

E: unsupported radio version
E: update failed. Check/sdcard/soff.log
E: error in /sdcard/unrevoked-forever.zip (Status 42)

I am running Android version 2.3.7 and radio baseband version 2.15.10.12.20

Is this one of those things that I shouldn't be trying from CM7.2 and I should've dealt with before my initial flash to CM7.2?? Basically I'm totally freakin lost and in WAAAAY over my element, so any guidance would be duly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Scott

smvogel73

May 8, 2013
Just going to leave this right here...
http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/forever

Read the page, tell me what your issue is, and we'll go from there.

Sorry....i guess it pays to be extra thorough in the description of the problem. The link you left me is the one that I followed. I researched achieving S-Off on the DInc first and found this same page in my research. I followed the process and all went smooth right up until i started to flash the unrevoked-forever.zip from my sdcard via CWM. The aforementioned error messages came up on my phone and it said the process failed.

I thought it might be because the radio baseband versions that are list as "supported" do not match mine

Pons

Sep 2, 2010
I thought it might be because the radio baseband versions that are list as "supported" do not match mine

Sounds good to me. With the way HTC handles S-OFF, you don't really need it. I'd go the legit way and unlock your bootloader with HTCdev.

http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/

Edit: and for the record, you're lucky you didn't brick your device. Reading the supported requirements and ignoring them is a good way to do it.

smvogel73

May 8, 2013
Sounds good to me. With the way HTC handles S-OFF, you don't really need it. I'd go the legit way and unlock your bootloader with HTCdev.

http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/

Edit: and for the record, you're lucky you didn't brick your device. Reading the supported requirements and ignoring them is a good way to do it.

Yes thx....I'm gathering that! So this is where terminology gets so dang confusing for me. I didn't think unlocking my bootloader meant the same thing as achieving S-Off?? I already thought my bootloader was unlcoked, as I was able to flash CM7.2, which I didnt think I would be able to do if I had a locked bootloader. So wicked confused!!! And try as I miught to educate myself in these forums, I haven't located a sticky or guide that really thoroughly explains all the vernacular regarding android dev/modding/rooting/flashing/etc

So this other method will work with any radio baseband version then?? Or is it important to check compatibility there too??

smvogel73

May 8, 2013
So after looking at those two links, it sure seems like not only is S-Off a potentially dangerous thing to do, it might also not even be necessary on the long-run. I say that carefully tho, as u just got thru telling me that flashing a new ROM against spec is a very dangerous thing to do and could potentially brick mu phone.

The ROM I'm looking to flash is Infection JB 4.2.2. The instructions say that if you're coming from. A non-AOSP ROM and are S-On that you've gotta extract boot.img and fastboot it after the ROM flash......whatever the heck that means???

Pons

Sep 2, 2010
So after looking at those two links, it sure seems like not only is S-Off a potentially dangerous thing to do, it might also not even be necessary on the long-run.???

Correct. Staying S-ON minimizes the danger. It locks your radio, and HBOOT, which are the main dangers.

I say that carefully tho, as u just got thru telling me that flashing a new ROM against spec is a very dangerous thing to do and could potentially brick mu phone.???

Not really ROM flashing, but radio and HBOOT flashing, which is what unrevoked-forever tweaks.

I'd try to flash it one more time. When you do, what, if anything, are you wiping? You should be doing a factory reset, system, and boot wipe/format, then flash the ROM.

If that doesn't work (it might not, it's been awhile since I've worked with S-ON devices), then we'll move on to S-OFF (if you want).

smvogel73

May 8, 2013
Oh no.....I didn't even attempt to flash the Infection JB ROM specifically because I was not able to achieve S-Off. Whether it was intended or not, yea.....u sufficiently scared me about bricking the phone if I'm not to spec per the developer.

Are u saying I should wipe and then try to flash this ROM despite still being S-On?

Pons

Sep 2, 2010
Up to you. Personally, if it were me, I would try flashing the ROM with S-ON. The inc is a very friendly device, as long as you don't try to break the HBOOT and/or radios. It is next to impossible to break those with S-ON.

If you want to go S-OFF instead, grab the latest supported radio from http://dinc.does-it.net/ and then do the unrevoked-forever.

smvogel73

May 8, 2013
Up to you. Personally, if it were me, I would try flashing the ROM with S-ON. The inc is a very friendly device, as long as you don't try to break the HBOOT and/or radios. It is next to impossible to break those with S-ON.

If you want to go S-OFF instead, grab the latest supported radio from http://dinc.does-it.net/ and then do the unrevoked-forever.

Well there you have it....I will trust your wisdom (as it is far supperior to my own) and I shall flash this ROM tonight!! I already have a nandroid backup of CM7.2 that Im running, as well as a Titanium backup of all my user apps/files.

Sincerest thanks for all your help!!

nodixe

May 12, 2011
Hello. Im no expert but i think Cyanogenmod is aosp so you should be good.
I was where you were 2 yrs ago when I rooted my 1st phone: a friends froyo Dinc (ahhh...froyo). A few months ago I aquired my own and went to research how to root GB and everything has changed and is now vastly more complicated. Also I think every phone has a locked bootloader but not encrypted and I think Soff is extra security since I've only encountered it on htc phones. Anyway I've managed to get my inc to Soff but its still locked, idk how lol

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts