How to gain root access to google ion rom?

Search This thread

hankit

Dec 22, 2006
I'm have the original ION phone with Ion Rom...
But from what i search from wiki to forum's here, mostly I see is reflashing the whole rom to get root access..

is it possible to get the root access on the rom I have now rather than reflashing it?

This is what I have right now in my phone:
HBoot-1.33.3004 (SAPP30000)
CPLD-10
RADIO-2.22.19.261

Amon_RA

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Jan 2, 2009
Yes this is possible.

1. Download a rooted recovery image (recovery.img) with nandroid support.
2. Switch your ion to fastboot mode.
3. Execute "Fastboot boot recovery.img" (this will not flash the recovery to your Ion, it will just load it).
4. perform a nandroid backup.
5. unpack the boot.img you find in the nandroid directory on your sdcard.
6. change the ro.secure property and repack the boot.img.
7. flash the rooted boot.img image to your ion.

hankit

Dec 22, 2006
So the instruction mention is the same as the one posted on wiki?
http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=Magic_Rooting

Many thanks!
Mike

Yes this is possible.

1. Download a rooted recovery image (recovery.img) with nandroid support.
2. Switch your ion to fastboot mode.
3. Execute "Fastboot boot recovery.img" (this will not flash the recovery to your Ion, it will just load it).
4. perform a nandroid backup.
5. unpack the boot.img you find in the nandroid directory on your sdcard.
6. change the ro.secure property and repack the boot.img.
7. flash the rooted boot.img image to your ion.

Amon_RA

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Jan 2, 2009
No, it's not the same, with the instructions on the wiki your are overwriting your ROM with a different one... so you basically undo the ion rom.

hankit

Dec 22, 2006
Im very new to this, do you mind bring me throught the how process?

I have just went ahead to try that process..(as i thought its just bascially rooting the magic with the recovery rom and ended up on a boot loop)

No, it's not the same, with the instructions on the wiki your are overwriting your ROM with a different one... so you basically undo the ion rom.

yochaigal

Nov 29, 2008
Boston
Hello,
Just got a google ion. Originally followed the instructions in the link above about rooting an htc magic... which allowed me to put haykuro's rootme on. Everything works fine now, I have root (I was able to add new fonts as su). However I do not have a superuser app--- and I am a bit confused about who I receive updates from now. I have read that jf1.5 does not work on this phone.
I did not need to unpack any .img files.
I have a recovery where I can flash new update.zip files, do nandroid backups, etc.
Can anyone fill me in on where I can get a superuser app, who should I receive updated update.zip fles from, etc?
The ion rom that is floating around installs but wifi doesn't work, so I'm back at rootme.zip.

Wolfyy7

Jun 5, 2009
I have the original Ion as well. The way I rooted my phone was by followed an excellent written tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w_Iyv7wctA (in the upper right hand corner click more details. Then after step step 17 or so continue from the guide on http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=Magic_Rooting

Great for noobs like me, wouldn'nt have known the commands to put into prompt up to that point and from other guides was not clear if I was supposed to input from phone terminal or prompt on PC but the combination of these two guides helped me get my phone rooted and now I have been trying out the french ROMS 1.8/1.9 and Nok2's V4 full, which is great.

pep1t0

Jul 21, 2009
Im very new to this, do you mind bring me throught the how process?

I have just went ahead to try that process..(as i thought its just bascially rooting the magic with the recovery rom and ended up on a boot loop)
I had the same problem and had to restore from nandroid backup... did you solve this issue?

pep1t0

Jul 21, 2009
Where could I get an image as mentioned here?

Second question: Once rooted, will my phone auto-update the system anymore?

thanks for all the thoughtful answers,
m0j0
Mojo, if the root process is done by unpacking and repacking the boot.img you won't alter the original rom so all the features will be untouched.

I've complete the root process on my original ION, if you need any help... post in this threath...

digable1

Jan 10, 2010
The manual total-geek method on N1?

Yes, I am aware of superboot. downloaded it. Looked at it, and noticed it was an image.

I am one of the weird ones that would rather do this process with the least disruption of the stock bits as possible, or at least know exactly what this image modifies. And while I could be totally blind, I didn't see this listed in my Googling.

I tried the procedure for the ION in this thread and it appears that the Nexus One does something different (maybe an extra checksum check??). Note: I also do have an ION and this procedure worked - so it appears that the procedure is known.

Any further information either about how to modify the appropriate images manually or a description of what the superboot image actually plays with?

Thanks!

zul8er

Jul 1, 2008
I too have a ION and if 2.1 doesn't hit soon I want to root. I am confused. Can someone just post the instructions in order with out having to got a billion links to get the next step.