No microSD card extension a new trend lately

Search This thread

eletro

Apr 5, 2010
What if sgs3 comes without sd slot .. would you buy it :eek: ?

(Trend .. samsung like to release 16gb versions .. and make 32/64gb hard to find)

corge

Apr 15, 2012
I am not an expert, but can the absence of memory card be some (intentional) obstacle to unlocking / rooting the device?

sreza

Oct 5, 2011
Fort Worth
I am not an expert, but can the absence of memory card be some (intentional) obstacle to unlocking / rooting the device?

Not to my knowledge, most custom ROMs that I've flashed to my Atrix and my Transformer are flashed from the root of the internal memory, and rooting/unlocking was done from my pc via the USB connection.

Reactions: corge

mello9119

Apr 6, 2012
For me my phone to phone transition is much easier with a sd card. My music, photos, videos, and backup are in there. Just remove it and put it to another phone. It will be a pain, perhaps a small one, if I have to copy these files every time and make sure their backed up. So, I I would want a phone with a sd card. Kinda of a deal breaker for me.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA

Mar 10, 2012
The external SD card just confuses the average consumer.

It would be like base desktop computer shipping with 2 hard drives. Power users may want another HDD, but the average consumer that just uses facebook, youtube, email, MS office, and itunes will not. Just having it there can cause serious confusion and damage the experience.

I don't really need an external SD. Biggest thing that takes up space is music, and I have the Google Music cloud for that. What else is taking up so much space for you guys? Pictures maybe? Are you putting videos (like TV shows) on your phone?

sreza

Oct 5, 2011
Fort Worth
The external SD card just confuses the average consumer.

It would be like base desktop computer shipping with 2 hard drives. Power users may want another HDD, but the average consumer that just uses facebook, youtube, email, MS office, and itunes will not. Just having it there can cause serious confusion and damage the experience.

I don't really need an external SD. Biggest thing that takes up space is music, and I have the Google Music cloud for that. What else is taking up so much space for you guys? Pictures maybe? Are you putting videos (like TV shows) on your phone?

That is horrible reasoning. A proper analogy would be a basic desktop computer shipping without CD/DVD drives nor USB ports for external storage.

Cloud services are well and good.. so long as you have an internet connection. Good luck listening to your music on a flight, or on a military base, or out of your service area, or the files you need are small enough to be downloaded in seconds, etc...

Most desktop computers do ship with 2 hard drives. C drive for storage and D drive for backups. What will you do on your backup-less device if something goes wrong? Waste time and money taking it in for repairs? Give me 2 min to re-flash my firmware from my external SD backup..... done.

This is XDA. We ARE the Power Users. If you're on this site, and you're not a Power User, then you're doing it very very Wrong.

Drzfr3shboialex

May 9, 2010
Manufacturers need to make phones have 16/32/64gb with a micro SD slot but no SD. That would be awesome, come one gs3 have SD slot and/or tmobile One X.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

died4u525

Jan 8, 2012
I needed to replace the 8GB microSD card that came in my EVO 3D before I ever rooted it due to needing more space. I got a 16GB class 4 card. Now with ROMs being 400mb+ and Nandroid backups being 700mb to over 1GB I'm looking at getting a 32GB class 6 microSD card. I probably don't need all of that space but 16GB isn't enough for me. I'm sick of having to delete things (songs, pics, and the Nandroid I did before my last one, etc) to make room to do a new Nandroid backup or whatever else I need room for.

I'm on Sprint so I'm very glad their version of the HTC One X, the EVO 4G LTE, has a microSD card slot in addition to 16GB of internal memory! That will most likely be my next phone. However, if it didn't have a microSD card slot, I wouldn't even consider getting it. I'm not happy about the non-replaceable battery but so far I've never bought a larger battery or even a spare one so I guess that'll just be one thing that doesn't change for me.

Also, I don't care for the idea of phones with internal memory ONLY that comes in 16, 32, and possibly 64GB because you can pretty much be guaranteed that we will end up being forced to pay a significant amount more than the average consumer who only needs, or thinks they need 16GB, or buys it because it's the more common model and they know nothing about microSD cards and storage space, etc. It's definitely easier for me financially, to buy my phone and months later buy a larger microSD card if I need more space. I just can't afford to spend and extra $50-100 or whatever it would be for more storage space.

Sent from my rooted Kindle Fire running CM7

luftrofl

Jul 18, 2010
San Francisco
That is horrible reasoning. A proper analogy would be a basic desktop computer shipping without CD/DVD drives nor USB ports for external storage.

Cloud services are well and good.. so long as you have an internet connection. Good luck listening to your music on a flight, or on a military base, or out of your service area, or the files you need are small enough to be downloaded in seconds, etc...

Most desktop computers do ship with 2 hard drives. C drive for storage and D drive for backups. What will you do on your backup-less device if something goes wrong? Waste time and money taking it in for repairs? Give me 2 min to re-flash my firmware from my external SD backup..... done.

This is XDA. We ARE the Power Users. If you're on this site, and you're not a Power User, then you're doing it very very Wrong.

I get the feeling that you believe the average user is technically literate enough to use most of the benefits of external storage. For most people (i.e. stereotypical iPhone users), nothing you said is true. The phrase "out of touch" comes to mind.

For XDA members, your analogy makes sense. Most people, however, don't care nearly as much about putting files on their phones. Once they get their music on their phone, they're done - ROMs? Video files?? These things confuse most people.

Most people have access to "the cloud" for most of the day. If they don't, they don't care.

Most desktops ship with 2 HDs? Most people I know don't have desktops - they have laptops. Last I checked, most of those come with only one HD. Yes, when something goes wrong, most people will go waste their time and money to get it "fixed" - hence, the existence and success of Geek Squad, Apple's "geniuses" (lol, would not use that word to describe them), etc.

Don't mean to be offensive - you're just severely overestimating the technical ability of the "average user" ... or expecting manufacturers to actually care about people like XDA users.

kowloon12

Apr 18, 2012
If it has 32gb internal I do not mind, but battery :/ sometimes I have to pull the battery b/c it freezes. I still really want the HTC One X on T-mobile though

sent from my Virtuous Unity :D

this! one thousand times this! from one who mess around custom roms and other unstable things a way to cold boot the phone is a must...

But I must say that a swappable memory card is sooo useful, for backup purposes, for instance, but also for a great number of tasks like exchanging files between phone and other..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    the 1800mAH is gonna die!! click thx if ur agree with me!!
    the 1800mAH is gonna die!! click thx if ur agree with me!!

This craving for "Thanks"-Hits lately is really annoying, to say the least. (Not directly in your direction, but in general).

Back on topic:

I´m not that fond of this trend, but it seems it is going that way.
    My only concern about this, is the fact that it is getting more difficult to, let´s say, flash a firmware, that won´t boot up with your current rom etc.
    Other then that, I don´t see that much of an disadvantage.
    No micro sd card slot is a disaster for me. My music collection is over 40gb, games are often up to a gb each, my European maps are about 2gb and I like to have a few films or tv shows on board to kill time too. With a more powerful phone I'm going to want have hi-def films on board so I can stream to my tv (or to a friend's tv). I also have loads of photos from holidays and stuff which I like to keep on my memory card. Not only do I want a micro sd card slot, I want new devices to support micro sdxc for MUCH greater storage capacities and faster transfer speeds.

The cloud has its place for me, but I don't want to be left looking like a chump when I can't access a photo or song because there is either a slow or non-existent data connection. What about when my phone has to be on flight mode? Why would I want to eat into my data allowance to stream a song that could so easily be on a memory card? Streaming stuff to my phone uses noticeably more battery too.

Manufacturers want us to have fixed storage so we have to upgrade our handsets as our storage needs grow. They also realise that people are prepared to splash the cash on larger memory cards so they figure they would rather put that memory in the phone and take the extra money from us instead of letting that cash go to a card manufacturer. Finally, networks want us to store our stuff in the cloud because sooner or later we will go over our data allowances and they will make a killing in extra charges.....the next time we get a contract we'll all go for more expensive plans with a better allowance. They're not worried about the unnecessary data slowing down our mobile networks because they'll just throttle connection speeds accordingly.

Choice is good. 'Light' users won't mind a lack of SD card slot, but those of us who truly use our devices for media storage, communication, photography, sat nav and increasingly as a dockable pc replacement are really gutted. Windows mobile used to be able to connect in two ways, so there's no reason why our current devices can't pull the same trick.
    no micro sd slot = no purchase for me

Sent from my MID7022 using Tapatalk
    http://www.htcphones.net/htc-one-x-specs-pros-and-cons/
    Pros
    • The HTC One X sports a 4.7-inch 720p Super LCD display similar to the HTC Titan but with higher resolution and pixel density. Still the latter can’t be equaled to iPhone’s Retina Display, but it is getting closer — 720×1280 pixels and 312ppi pixel density.
    • Though we don’t know what dimensions the phone will come at, the manufacturer has managed to fit all high-end features in a solid housing.
    • The key feature is the Nvidia Tegra 3 processor clocked at 1.5GHz.
    • The One X can take photos with the help of an 8MP rear camera and there is also a VGA frontal camera for web chat. You can check out the sample photo’s quality in our post.
    • Beats Audio.
    • Super connectivity options in face of WiFi (2.4GHz & 5GHz), Bluetooth 4.0 and NFC.
    • 1800mAh battery.
    • Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and Sense 4.0.

Cons

• No microSD card extension ability.
    • The limited colors of a notification LED on the device.
    • Support for only microSIM cards.

So is the no microsd support becoming a new trend now? Started with Google Nexus followed by Sony's Xperia S and now HTC Endeavor. I understand the advantage of not needing microsd, that you can just plug your phone to the pc and then still able to play music (or whatever apps) through your phone uninterrupted, but there are still people who find the fix capacity a little...hard to deal with.