Lost LTE signal after rooting. Please help!

Search This thread

danny2146

Feb 2, 2014
Hi, I recently decided to root my Nexus 5 using this guide on youtube: /watch?v=J1AKqrrf-5o
But after I'm all done with the rooting process, I noticed that my Nexus 5 has lost its LTE signal. Now it onlyy uses 3G. I managed to put it back on LTE by doing: *#*#4636#*#* and changed my prefered network, but by doing so, I lost my service with T-Mobile. Can't call or send messege with LTE on.

Please help me! I'm very new to Android and rooting but this first experience is not so good. Can you tell me what went wrong? Also, I rooted using the Linux guide.

MisterRich

May 15, 2013
Anchorage, Alaska
Agreed. A root alone should not have caused an issue with your radio unless something went incorrectly. I would ( personally ) flash Google's stock nexus images and then possibly try again. Gaining root access can be done different ways, you may need to read into other alternatives...

danny2146

Feb 2, 2014
I don't know. I use the ChainFIre CF Auto root on Ubuntu. I did unrooted the device earlier and was able to get LTE and service to work. Though after I use this samw method again, LTE stopped working properly, so I guess something is wrong with this method. Will try the "standard" method later though, if I can get a hold of a windows computer.

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
Let's back track a bit. What is the goal with root? Are you wanting to keep a custom recovery? What network are you using?

If you are going to just root stock and not go for a custom rom, I'd just flash a custom recovery via fastboot then boot to recovery and flash the SuperSU zip from Chainfire. At that point, you're rooted stock. If you decide to take an OTA update then you'll just need to make sure that you have the stock recovery installed. However, it's just as easy to flash the update when one of our devs packages it as a rom zip to flash via custom recovery, if not easier really.

danny2146

Feb 2, 2014
Frankly, at this point my knowledge about android phone is still very hazy as this is acually my first ever phone, let along rooting, but I am eager to learn. So what's wrong if I didn't get a custom recovery? I just followed the instruction that they (chainfire autoroot) have for Linux and got this. Dunno if it was something in my phone nor the root. I am on T-Mobile BTW.

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
Yea, I'm baffled by that method affecting anything to do with service. It should be one of the least intrusive ways to root. However, weird things happen. So where are we now? Are you still rooted with the service issues? Which update / baseband are you on? You have the correct T-Mobile APNs? Have LTE(Recommended) selected under Preferred Network Mode in Settings / More... /Mobile Networks? Shouldn't really be necessary to mess with changing stuff in the Hidden Menu in this instance.

danny2146

Feb 2, 2014
I'm on T-mobile Nexus 5 KitKat 4.4.2, with LTE in prefered mobile data. I rooted, the problem happened, unrooted this morning, the problem gone, rooted again with same method, the problem came back. I think I have the right APN since there are two with T-mobile options and I have tried both of them. As of now, I am still on root, but thinking of unroot it again...

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
I'm on T-mobile Nexus 5 KitKat 4.4.2, with LTE in prefered mobile data. I rooted, the problem happened, unrooted this morning, the problem gone, rooted again with same method, the problem came back. I think I have the right APN since there are two with T-mobile options and I have tried both of them. As of now, I am still on root, but thinking of unroot it again...

Still scratching my head over that, as the whole idea of Chainfire's auto root just literally is only supposed to install the SuperSU app and the binary and make no other changes. Obviously that isn't the case for you though. Are you unrooting via the settings in the SU app or via reflashing the stock img files?

danny2146

Feb 2, 2014
Still scratching my head over that, as the whole idea of Chainfire's auto root just literally is only supposed to install the SuperSU app and the binary and make no other changes. Obviously that isn't the case for you though. Are you unrooting via the settings in the SU app or via reflashing the stock img files?
I used the stock flashing method. I only unrooted it though, not lock the boot loader.

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
I used the stock flashing method. I only unrooted it though, not lock the boot loader.

Ok. So at this point, I would have the SuperSU zip (contains the SuperSU app and su binary) http://download.chainfire.eu/381/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.91.zip on your phone, then fastboot a custom recovery like TWRP http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/hammerhead (fastboot flash recovery nameofrecovery.img), boot into recovery, and flash the zip. No need to wipe anything. Should just be able to flash and go. Then open SuperSU and make sure the binary is updated.

danny2146

Feb 2, 2014
I'm sorry but how does one flash a custom recovery? Do I need a PC alondside or I can just do it entirely on my phone?

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
I'm sorry but how does one flash a custom recovery? Do I need a PC alondside or I can just do it entirely on my phone?

I included the command in the parenthesis in the last post.

In bootloader mode on the phone, of course, flash from PC, with the file in your fastboot folder:

fastboot flash recovery nameofrecovery.img (note - you can change the name of the file you download to whatever, as long as you leave the extension .img alone. ex: twrp.img)

If you are rooted already or still, you can flash from the phone either via the GooManager app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.s0up.goomanager like this:

Install the app and open it. Tap menu then hit Install OpenRecoveryScript. Tap Yes. Verify that the filename displays your device's code name and hit Yes. The file will download and your device will install the recovery automatically.

or

(Rooted only) You can also use the app Flashify to flash the .img file directly from the phone. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cgollner.flashify

So yea, to solve your issue, I think it would be best to just start clean/stock, then go with the custom recovery flashed from PC + SuperSU zip method. If you can fastboot the other files to return to stock, this is no different and very quick. Should not take more than 5-10 seconds to flash the recovery. The whole operation, starting from scratch should take make 3-5 minutes to flash recovery, boot to it, flash the SuperSU zip then reboot, assuming you have fastboot set up properly and the 2 files you need downloaded already.

Last edited:

danny2146

Feb 2, 2014
I included the command in the parenthesis in the last post.

In bootloader mode on the phone, of course, flash from PC, with the file in your fastboot folder:

fastboot flash recovery nameofrecovery.img (note - you can change the name of the file you download to whatever, as long as you leave the extension .img alone. ex: twrp.img)

If you are rooted already or still, you can flash from the phone either via the GooManager app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.s0up.goomanager like this:

Install the app and open it. Tap menu then hit Install OpenRecoveryScript. Tap Yes. Verify that the filename displays your device's code name and hit Yes. The file will download and your device will install the recovery automatically.

or

(Rooted only) You can also use the app Flashify to flash the .img file directly from the phone. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cgollner.flashify

So yea, to solve your issue, I think it would be best to just start clean/stock, then go with the custom recovery flashed from PC + SuperSU zip method. If you can fastboot the other files to return to stock, this is no different and very quick. Should not take more than 5-10 seconds to flash the recovery. The whole operation, starting from scratch should take make 3-5 minutes to flash recovery, boot to it, flash the SuperSU zip then reboot, assuming you have fastboot set up properly and the 2 files you need downloaded already.

I don't know , but this is very interesting. I now suspect that the problem is from T-Mobile's end, not mine, nor the root. I just dug into my mom,dad's phone and what did I find? 3 goddamn G! Not LTE. But when I tried to force the thing to get LTE, it disconnected from the service. However, when I moved to another location this evening, both the LTE and service came back. I think something odd is happening either in my neighborhood or T-Mobile service. Anyways, seems like nothing of major, might have to have a talk to T-Mobile about this.

But last question, with my CF root now, how can I know if I already have a custom recovery yet? And which one? You know for if I want to flash a ROM in the future. And thank you for your help!

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
I don't know , but this is very interesting. I now suspect that the problem is from T-Mobile's end, not mine, nor the root. I just dug into my mom,dad's phone and what did I find? 3 goddamn G! Not LTE. But when I tried to force the thing to get LTE, it disconnected from the service. However, when I moved to another location this evening, both the LTE and service came back. I think something odd is happening either in my neighborhood or T-Mobile service. Anyways, seems like nothing of major, might have to have a talk to T-Mobile about this.

But last question, with my CF root now, how can I know if I already have a custom recovery yet? And which one? You know for if I want to flash a ROM in the future. And thank you for your help!

Just boot into recovery and see what you have.

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
If you used CF-Root, then it would not have installed a custom recovery. This is something that you would have done on your own and not likely to have forgotten. If you root access is working properly, I'd suggest installing TWRP from the GooManager app as it's pretty easy and no PC required.

http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/205

Then make a nandroid back up of your phone and make sure to back up the EFS folder too and save them to a safe place. You can back that up in TWRP or from the method described here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2514095

Pirateghost

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 24, 2010
androidninjas.com
Let's back up here. Why do you think you need root if you have no idea what you are doing? Are you just rooting because you can or do you have a real purpose?

Sent from my Nexus 5