Telus Getting HTC Hero 850/1900 MHz

Search This thread

craig0r

Sep 24, 2008
Toronto
Craig your the expert here, ok not according to you, but you rooted the thing and are obviously happy. As mentioned I was just trying my own workaround to solve the problem and it did work yet not when time to flash. It is the same thing as being in the phone so technically should work yet did not. They were both started at the same time just before I went into the hex editor under admin and then when I completed the final steps I had thought successfully I simply took the sd out of the card reaDER PUT IT IN THE PHONE WHILE STILL CONNECTED AND IT DID NOT WORK.

Hmm... I wouldn't say I'm an expert, maybe I just got lucky. The only other thing is to make sure the gold card is in the phone when you reboot it.

Also, I did the whole procedure on a WinXP 32-bit machine at work. Just a thought.

dvice19

Sep 28, 2008
I'm having no luck rooting this thing, what kind of sd card are you folks using? Are you using the stock sd that comes with the phone?

dvice19

Sep 28, 2008
What's going on? I've tried this goldcard method a million times and a million diff ways. It should just work. There's got to be some good explanation as to why it'll work for some and not others. Hmmm... I'm using xp on my computer, all that stuff. I'm using the sd hero came with which has worked for most.

I keep the error about the phone model when I run the ruu. It's got to be something to do with the phone itself.

I have a white hero. Does everyone who's rooted have black? Please let me know all you rooted folks. Are you using a black hero?

craig0r

Sep 24, 2008
Toronto
What's going on? I've tried this goldcard method a million times and a million diff ways. It should just work. There's got to be some good explanation as to why it'll work for some and not others. Hmmm... I'm using xp on my computer, all that stuff. I'm using the sd hero came with which has worked for most.

I keep the error about the phone model when I run the ruu. It's got to be something to do with the phone itself.

I have a white hero. Does everyone who's rooted have black? Please let me know all you rooted folks. Are you using a black hero?

Mine's a white one.

I don't know how much attention everyone's paying to the step about formatting the SD card in the phone, but make sure you do that step each time. Use the phone to format it, not your computer. I don't know if it makes a difference, I'm just brainstorming here. I really don't know how a few of us got so lucky and others are having so many issues.

craig0r

Sep 24, 2008
Toronto
ok when you use the hxd program, do you have the sd in the phone or in the computer?

The SD is always in the phone EXCEPT when you run hxd. For hxd, the card should be in a card reader. (It may work in the phone as well, but that's not how I did it,)

And when you run hxd, the sd card must show up as a *physical* disk, not just a logical disk, and of course you must select it under "physical." Whenever you reboot the phone, the SD card should be in the phone. The SD card should be formatted in the phone, and needs to be in the phone when you run the cat /sys/class/mmc1..etc,etc,etc command. (Make sure this command is typed *VERBATIM* from the guide.)

dvice19

Sep 28, 2008
when you take the sd out of the phone do you unmount it first? what about when you take it out of the computer?

craig0r

Sep 24, 2008
Toronto
when you take the sd out of the phone do you unmount it first? what about when you take it out of the computer?

I was about to say "yes, i unmounted it every time," but I actually can't recall if I unmounted it after the hxd step. Maybe try both ways. I unmounted every time it came out of my phone though. (That would be just once.)

dvice19

Sep 28, 2008
k just tried with format in phone and hxd in computer and still nothing (although i think i tried this already). i just found a kingston 1gb in my blackberry and i think i have another micro sd kickin around somewhere in my house. i'm gonna havta try this again tonite. thanx for all ur help craig.

craig0r

Sep 24, 2008
Toronto
k just tried with format in phone and hxd in computer and still nothing (although i think i tried this already). i just found a kingston 1gb in my blackberry and i think i have another micro sd kickin around somewhere in my house. i'm gonna havta try this again tonite. thanx for all ur help craig.

Not a problem, that's what a community's for. I did try it with like 3 different SD cards before I got it to work with my 1GB Sandisk (also tried the 2GB that came with the Hero, and an 8GB Centron.)

ericlin0122

Apr 2, 2006

Always unmount... even when u plug into windows, if u wanna remove, plz click on "enject".

Btw, here is everything I have tried with the stock sd card.
1. using phone format function
2. using windows format function (not the quick format)
3. using ubuntu gParted
Notice: You probably don't need to do gParted format. I couldn't get the phone connected (error 170) until I switch to XP.

craig0r

Sep 24, 2008
Toronto
A full format shouldn't be required, if you're going to format with Windows. The only part of the SD we care about is the boot sector, so there's no reason to clear the data off the rest of the disk.

Maybe I'll put my 1GB Gold Card up for auction. Wonder how much I could get for it ;)