Ringke Fusion case review and high res photos

Search This thread

grndc2gsr

Jun 18, 2013
Amazon.com: RINGKE FUSION® Google Nexus 5 Case Bumper [BLACK] The Best Selling Shock Absorption Bumper + Anti Scratch Clear Back Panel + Design It Yourself Premium Hybrid Hard Case [Eco/DIY Package] for Google Nexus 5

I just got this case in today and so far I really like it. It is a slim case with a clear back, be sure to remove the plastic covers on both the back and front of the clear back. The fitment is great, there is cut outs for the usb, speaker/mic and headphone jack. The cut outs alignment is perfect. The back is crystal clear and I can see my white Nexus really well. This case also comes with a hard plastic template that you can use to make cut outs and place inside the case to give you a custom look. I don't think I will be making my own cut outs just now because I'm enjoying the white Nexus logo. The power and volume buttons are flush with the case and depress nicely. The buttons are not ultra sensitive like some cases, they have a nice pressure to them.

Packaging

Speaker/mic and USB port cutouts

Headphone jack and volume buttons

Side profile, the case does not add very much bulk at all

Fitment is spot on

Crystal clear back

RayLancer

Sep 24, 2011
Sacramento
Looking at the audio port and usb area cutout, can you see a gap between the phone and the case there? I just noticed the Spigen Ultra Hybrid has a gap where dust can get in...

grndc2gsr

Jun 18, 2013
Looking at the audio port and usb area cutout, can you see a gap between the phone and the case there? I just noticed the Spigen Ultra Hybrid has a gap where dust can get in...

Yes there is a small gap around the back side of the audio jack. There is a even smaller gap on the backside of the USB port. I wonder how this will effect the case over time?

Nov 5, 2013
Yes there is a small gap around the back side of the audio jack. There is a even smaller gap on the backside of the USB port. I wonder how this will effect the case over time?

Got one and I'm not a fan so far. The part where the side of the case meets the raised lip to protect the screen (lay on face design) has a REALLY sharp edge to it all around the perimeter. I don't know if it is just leftover material from the mold (flash) or what. Have you noticed the same on your case?

I know a few folks on Amazon have mentioned it in the reviews. Do you have the same issue?

I emailed Ringke yesterday but I haven't heard back. I really like the case except that it is just so uncomfortable to hold with that sharp edge as it is now.

Last edited:

grndc2gsr

Jun 18, 2013
Got one and I'm not a fan so far. The part where the side of the case meets the raised lip to protect the screen (lay on face design) has a REALLY sharp edge to it all around the perimeter. I don't know if it is just leftover material from the mold (flash) or what. Have you noticed the same on your case?

I know a few folks on Amazon have mentioned it in the reviews. Do you have the same issue?

I emailed Ringke yesterday but I haven't heard back. I really like the case except that it is just so uncomfortable to hold with that sharp edge as it is now.

I don't have the same issue on mine. It has a nice beveled edge on it, not sharp at all.

grndc2gsr

Jun 18, 2013
This case has been working out nice for me. I'm not going to use my Spigen Slim Armor any more, it's just too bulky for my taste.

reignlight

Jul 6, 2011
Google Pixel 3
OnePlus 7 Pro
Amazon.com: RINGKE FUSION® Google Nexus 5 Case Bumper [BLACK] The Best Selling Shock Absorption Bumper + Anti Scratch Clear Back Panel + Design It Yourself Premium Hybrid Hard Case [Eco/DIY Package] for Google Nexus 5

I just got this case in today and so far I really like it. It is a slim case with a clear back, be sure to remove the plastic covers on both the back and front of the clear back. The fitment is great, there is cut outs for the usb, speaker/mic and headphone jack. The cut outs alignment is perfect. The back is crystal clear and I can see my white Nexus really well. This case also comes with a hard plastic template that you can use to make cut outs and place inside the case to give you a custom look. I don't think I will be making my own cut outs just now because I'm enjoying the white Nexus logo. The power and volume buttons are flush with the case and depress nicely. The buttons are not ultra sensitive like some cases, they have a nice pressure to them.

---------------------
My Ringke Fusion case has come in, so I've taken the liberty to create a rough template for anyone who wants to open a photo editor program like photoship or paint.net to fit their image before cutting it out. This might be a fraction of a milimeter off but I placed the clear cut out on my monitor and cropped it as tight as I could from what I saw on screen.

** Note my image is square, use it to create the general shape of your image and the included template to trace inside of it before cutting it out

Grab the png picture below -- is flat w/ colors but can create layers by color select in any respectable photo editor. I'm uncertain of the placement of the nexus logo but tried to center it on the back and crop a photo i had to fit (?) :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96937956@N03/10771644276/

Last edited:

kentobi

May 18, 2010
Already ordered mine too, it looks cool.

Is any1 of u going to design custom backs? I really like the idea of being able to..

TypoCorrecto

Mar 26, 2010
Just got received it in the mail today and it is a really nice case. It's thinner than I expected, as the one for the N4 felt a lot thicker. The buttons work flawlessly and the case fits very firmly to the device. I plan to play around with the template for custom covers later today. I prefer this case over the Spigen case because of the buttons mimic the actual phone versus the block buttons. The Ringke Fusion case is a definite buy...

Reactions: reinert012

NuxMortis

May 23, 2011
Got the Ringke Fusion since yesterday.
I can compare the Spigen Ultra hybrid und the Fusion, as I have them both.

Pros:
Fits good, the cut outs are perfect. It's slimmer than the Ultra.
The buttons can be used like on the naked N5, same feedback, not that sharp edges though (better imo).
The material of the Fusion feels a bit smoother than that of the Ultra, the front edges are a little bit sharper.
The clear back seems to be a bit harder and more scratch resistant (until now).

Cons:
The Fusion fixes not the rattling power button.
The quality seems not that good, there are some spots, which seem to be bad glued (or whatever treated) between the bumper and the back.
The N5 feels not that good protected like in the Spigen (which is softer and bulkier).

Conclusion:
I like the Fusion more than the Ultra because of the buttons and its slimness.

Reactions: floepie

GSLEON3

Retired Senior Moderator

Pros:
The buttons can be used like on the naked N5, same feedback, not that sharp edges though (better imo).
The material of the Fusion feels a bit smoother than that of the Ultra, the front edges are a little bit sharper.

Cons:
The quality seems not that good, there are some spots, which seem to be bad glued (or whatever treated) between the bumper and the back.
The N5 feels not that good protected like in the Spigen (which is softer and bulkier).

Conclusion:

AGREED! The Spigen is not as nice in hand, it is a slightly harder composite. I also like the buttons on the Ringke version better. It is hard to find the buttons on the Spigen, since they are flush. I also like the slight back curvature of the Ringke better, whereas the Spigen is flat.

I will however say that if debugging is on, the Ringke activates the power button bug capture feature much more often than the Spigen. In all however, I choose the Ringke over the Spigen.

Reactions: floepie

floepie

Feb 28, 2006
Amsterdam

Pros:

Cons:

Conclusion:

Thanks for the comparison. Would there by any way you could take similarly positioned photos of each of the cases? Is the black rim around transparent window on the back of the case comparable in size between the two? In other words is the window larger on one or the other?

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 PM ----------

AGREED! The Spigen is not as nice in hand, it is a slightly harder composite. I also like the buttons on the Ringke version better. It is hard to find the buttons on the Spigen, since they are flush. I also like the slight back curvature of the Ringke better, whereas the Spigen is flat.

I will however say that if debugging is on, the Ringke activates the power button bug capture feature much more often than the Spigen. In all however, I choose the Ringke over the Spigen.

If the Ringke is slightly curved, can you rock it back and forth when placed on a flat surface?

Bleys43

Nov 4, 2010
Thanks for the comparison. Would there by any way you could take similarly positioned photos of each of the cases? Is the black rim around transparent window on the back of the case comparable in size between the two? In other words is the window larger on one or the other?

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 PM ----------

If the Ringke is slightly curved, can you rock it back and forth when placed on a flat surface?

No, the clear back isn't curved, the black bumper is beveled where it meets the clear back. It's actually a really nice and smooth join if two different materials. Additionally, there are little nubs or feet at the corners, so when you lay it face-up on a surface, the clear back doesn't touch.

Over all, the build quality is very impressive, the cut outs are perfect, and the buttons feel just like a naked phone, except for a gentle rebound, which feels like an improvement.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts