[Q] Soft brick.

Search This thread

Makertronic

May 27, 2014
Ok, I believe that I have officially soft bricked my phone. I guess for any help to be given I should give a little background.

These are the things that I did to the phone when I got it about 2 months ago:
  • Unlocked bootloader using steps on HTC dev
  • Installed Philz Touch CWM
  • Rooted

Ok, so a few days ago I got a notification that there was a KitKat OTA update available. I knew that because I had a custom recovery installed that I wouldn't be able to let the OTA install by itself. So, I went ahead and downloaded the OTA and tried to flash it via CWM, it didn't work. I reverted to the stock recovery and tried it again, nothing. Then I did something, I can't remember exactly what I did. I think I took the firmware zip out of the OTA and tried to install that using CWM, but it failed because zip was corrupted. After that it will only boot into Hboot. From what I've read it being able to get to Hboot still is a good sign and that it can probably be saved. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get it up and running again? I really appreciate any help that can be given.

--Makertronic

Vency77

Apr 5, 2012
Plovdiv
What's the version of the hboot? Upload a photo of the screen if you can, so we can know how to help :)

Makertronic

May 27, 2014
Screen Picture

Here's that picture of the screen.

Attachments

• CAM00002.jpg
    CAM00002.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 170

TehFlash

Oct 18, 2012
After you get back into your phone again, I recommend you S-OFF your device, and then downgrade to JB HBOOT then run the RUU and then reboot into JB and do the OTA to get to KitKat properly.

4ssassin91

Jul 12, 2014
massillon
in need of some help

i can no longer do this on my own, i've had my phone for about 6 months or so now, and about february i successfully rooted my device. like the OP i got the notice a few days ago for the KK OTA and tried to install it and it obviously didn't work. now i've gotten a new computer since then and don't remember all the programs and files i had/need to install this new rom. i did try downloading a KK .zip and installing it from the philz touch bootloader and that didn't work either, so now my device is soft brcked. my hboot is the same as the OP, i clicked on that link and couldn't really understand what it was saying to do. if someone could dumb it down a bit for me and explain it some in greater detail, it would be heavily appreciated.

Makertronic

May 27, 2014
YES!!!! Thank you.

Ok everything works perfectly now. Thank you so much. And thanks to TehFlash for the post. Also, @TehFlash what do you mean downgrade to Jellybean Hboot. Do you mean just follow the same steps as before just use the Jellybean Hboot? And do you recommend any good methods for getting s-off?

--Makertronic

Child's Play

Apr 27, 2014
Ok everything works perfectly now. Thank you so much. And thanks to TehFlash for the post. Also, @TehFlash what do you mean downgrade to Jellybean Hboot. Do you mean just follow the same steps as before just use the Jellybean Hboot? And do you recommend any good methods for getting s-off?

--Makertronic

instructions for getting s-off http://xdaforums.com/desire-601/help/how-to-s-off-t2814086/post54103450
if u wanna run the ruu, u need to downgrade to jb hboot with s-off bec the ruu only works with jb. we dont have the KK ruu yet. u r s-on u cant downgrade to jb hboot

Makertronic

May 27, 2014
Now a new problem.

Ok, I finally got around to following the s-off instructions and it doesn't seem to be working. I am not able to get an ADB connection now that the phone is updated to KitKat. Anyone know what the problem could be? I tried installing new drivers and uninstalling HTC sync like the instructions at http://rumrunner.us/instructions/ says, but still nothing. Any help is appreciated.

--Makertronic

Last edited:

Toasticuss

May 29, 2013
Ok, I finally got around to following the s-off instructions and it doesn't seem to be working. I am not able to get an ADB connection now that the phone is updated to KitKat. Anyone know what the problem could be? I tried installing new drivers and uninstalling HTC sync like the instructions at http://rumrunner.us/instructions/ says, ut still nothing. Any help at all is appreciated.

--Makertronic

Can you access the recovery menu? Does fastboot recognize the device? Can try setting up drivers on another computer?

Makertronic

May 27, 2014
I am able to access the recovery menu, and fastboot sees the phone.
When I do adb devices it gives this output:
Code:
PS C:\Users\Tyler\Documents> adb devices             
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *                      
List of devices attached