[ROM] ota 8.6.5.21 US rom

Search This thread

jadesse

Aug 19, 2007
What version of recovery are you using?

There is no need to unroot, just flash this with a non-stock recovery and you'll have a rooted, stock 8.6.5.21 rom.

Maybe you have a bad download? Try downloading it again. Also, if it fails at the boot.img then you probably have the stock .21 system with a .19 (or previous) kernel. Check in the settings/about phone.

CWR - v3.1.0.1

Kernel - v2.6.36.3

Build # - HTK75.US_epad-8.6.5.19-20111107

I have downloaded the file twice onto 2 different SD cards.

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

CWR - v3.1.0.1

Kernel - v2.6.36.3

Build # - HTK75.US_epad-8.6.5.19-20111107

I have downloaded the file twice onto 2 different SD cards.

I noticed the the newest version of CWM is 3.2.0.1. Some how my Transformer must have been reverted to 3.1.0.1. I had 3.2.0.1 already downloaded & remember updating it.

After updating it again to 3.2.01 the update did work. However as other have pointed out I am still at 8.6.5.19. I'll try fixing this per previous posts.

Last edited:

skeeterpro

Jan 8, 2011
Iowa
Since it would appear several are having possible reported corrupt file downloads it might not hurt to make absolutely sure your uSD card is formatted correctly. Often a badly formatted or even corrupt uSD will throw those types of errors. I learned that the hard way when using windows to format uSD card. Been using this since and so far no problems.

Just a thought

cashberry

Jul 25, 2007
Flashed this and it freezes on Eee Pad loading screen. I got razorclawed B70 model shipped with 8.6.5.19. Any ideas what's wrong?

Sharpe351

Jul 3, 2011
Central Florida
Flashed this and it freezes on Eee Pad loading screen. I got razorclawed B70 model shipped with 8.6.5.19. Any ideas what's wrong?

If you're referring to the initial boot screen, then you need to wipe data first. If you're referring to the 2nd boot screen, it could take up to 10 minutes to boot the first time depending on the apps you have installed.

sent from my ASUS Transformer running Prime 2.1.1 using Tapatalk

gee one

Jul 29, 2010
linux command line

This means it's a rooted stock rom. The apk and jar files have their associated odex files with them, rather than baked right in as classes.dex files. You won't be able to add themes.

It will also have all the stock apps, so if carrier iq or other bloatware is installed in the stock rom, you'll get it here too.

Literally, all I did was add root to the stock system.

sent from my cyanogen(mod) vision

surfmly

Jul 13, 2011
San Diego
SU problems?

This means it's a rooted stock rom. The apk and jar files have their associated odex files with them, rather than baked right in as classes.dex files. You won't be able to add themes.

It will also have all the stock apps, so if carrier iq or other bloatware is installed in the stock rom, you'll get it here too.

Literally, all I did was add root to the stock system.

gee one-

I have been seeing SU errors come up lately after using your .21 rom. I rooted my .19 with Razorclaw, then flashed your .21 rom and it all went well, no errors, etc. Things appeared OK generally, but whenever I try and use a rooted app (TiBU, etc) I get (75% of the time) force close error ("application superuser (process com.noshufou.android.su) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."). However, with ADB Wireless I get this error every time.

Any thoughts on this or anyone else having similar issues?

The fact that I can use rooted apps some of the time is strange. My TF generally seems to run OK (not doing a lot of crazy **** at the moment, it is rooted per above, but not doing any other major dev changes (no kernel tweaking, etc... yet).

If I wanted to back out of this do I unroot and then use the other root method mentioned above in thread (which sounds like it works with all stock rom versions)?

Edited: oh and one other question. I see Superuser has an update in thet market. I have never done an updated SU from market as I figured it would screw with the current root, but thought I would ask to see if I should update to fix my issues.

Edit 2: I went ahead and tried to flash your .21 rom again to see if that cleared things up, but it did not. And actually now that I am paying attention (been on vacation for a week), I noticed the error I noted above coming up anytime an app that wants or needs root to run tries to start. Then when I try and run things that won't work at all without working root (ADB Wireless, Root Keeper) the error pops up and the app doesn't run saying it needs root. I am still at the .21 rom version per my 'about' screen.

Thanks.

Last edited:

gee one

Jul 29, 2010
linux command line
I'm not sure what is causing this- I am using Superuser 3.0.7(41) and su 3.0.3.2. You can check your version in the Superuser app.

I've updated the Superuser.apk from the market without any issues.

EDIT: I saw in another thread that you can try clearing data for Superuser in settings/applications...

Last edited:

surfmly

Jul 13, 2011
San Diego
I'm not sure what is causing this- I am using Superuser 3.0.7(41) and su 3.0.3.2. You can check your version in the Superuser app.

I've updated the Superuser.apk from the market without any issues.

EDIT: I saw in another thread that you can try clearing data for Superuser in settings/applications...

Thanks. I ended up unrooting, wiping everthing, updating to .21 and rooting with Nachoroot. All appears well now. I had time to waste last night so decided to go this route for the experience. I didn't have my TF that customized yet anyway so the restart was fine (and gave me more experience playing with root/unroot methods). I am all set.

chappatti

Sep 3, 2007
The OP clearly says this is a rom, not just the update. Actually, here's his exact words.

It means how it sounds. I can't seem to OTA update while rooted. I rooted via apx. B60. The update process always ends up with an exclamation point next to an android, meaning it can't update.

Apologies for my ignorance.

Are you saying that when I flash this rom, all my apps and data will be left untouched?

Asus's OTA ver .21 breaks root. So trying to update on rooted ROM will cause a conflict.

Try this version of the same firmware http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1334673. Please read the original post carefully, since the ROM requires a rooted phone, BUT DOES NOT APPLY ROOT to an unrooted phone. This may the workaround you are looking for. This post has lots of info.

Best of luck !!

Sharpe351

Jul 3, 2011
Central Florida
Back to stock with the 8.6.5.21 update installed. Once I mounted system in recovery, everything worked fine.

sent from my ASUS Transformer running 8.6.5.21 using Tapatalk

gee one

Jul 29, 2010
linux command line
I don't remember the boot times, but it can be pretty long, so be sure your battery is charged and let it run as long as you see the spinning dots. I think someone posted that it took 20 mins for them.

BloodyRory

Dec 15, 2011
NW Suburbs of Chicago
I don't remember the boot times, but it can be pretty long, so be sure your battery is charged and let it run as long as you see the spinning dots. I think someone posted that it took 20 mins for them.

I'm just quoting this trying to ask you this.

But I can't get it to work, I even downloaded the official asus one and in CWM it just doesn't allow me to download the official one and when I download this one I still get the black screen error.

gee one

Jul 29, 2010
linux command line
Coming from ICS, you might have to wipe system and then remount it before flashing.

I haven't tried to flash it yet, so I'm not sure what is included in the TF ICS port. There could be other issues.

jasonwuzthere

Nov 26, 2010
You may have to NVflash if you're coming from ICS, unless you have a CWM copy of your ROM on your SD card. That's the only way I've been able to get back.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It looks like we got our Christmas present a little early!

This is the rooted 8.6.5.21 rom. I just added su and Superuser. It does not overwrite recovery or the bootloader, so it should play nicely with razorclaw. Regardless, flash at your own risk. If in doubt, don't flash it.

This is the full rom, not the update. It is not deodexed, and it might even have carrier iq installed???!!! I only added root.

https://rapidshare.com/files/3982037990/hc_86521.zip
    b9620eedb98fc18437cb73d7f4543030 hc_86521.zip

Edit: US version

Merry Christmas!
    Just for interest: can you tell more how you did make this rom ?

I started with the OTA and then unzipped it. There is a blob and a bunch of patches. I unpacked the blob and made the boot.img/blob.LNX insecure, and repacked this into boot.img. then I took the patches and applied them to the stock system. This is the tricky part because I used a script to parse the updater-script to generate two scripts. The first one would identify and copy all the files that are scheduled to be patched. I then transfered all the files and the second script to my transformer. On the device, I ran the second script with applies that patch using the same binary that the recovery uses. The output from this all goes back to my computer where the patched files are re-united with the files that did not require a patch. Now, in the home stretch, I added Superuser.apk and the su binary. I adjusted the updater script to set permissions correctly for those two additions and added a little holiday cheer. Finally, I zipped up the whole thing and signed it.

The reason for doing it this way is that I can "apply" the ota to a copy of the system, rather than the system I have installed on my TF. It sounds complex and convoluted, but it really takes about 30 mins to an hour.

After successful flash I'm still showing .19 firmware version. Any ideas as to why?

Me too.. but i`ll try again :)...... nope stilll the same... i noticed that it updates pretty quick in cwm.... i guess it doesnt update at all... maybe you missed something when you added the christmas wishes :)

Try mounting your system partition, then flashing. It does take a few minutes and the progress bar will seem a bit slow or stuck.

Thanks for the help, one more question, I still have the update notification, how do I get rid of it?

Sent from my "Bad Seed" Transformer!

Settings>Applications>Manage application>All>DMClient>Clear data
    Where is this stock system located ?

Copy to where ?

Which patch do you mean exactly ?

Maybe a stupid question: but why not adjust the updater script in the OTA update and sign it. (so not making a complete rom)

The stock system is a copy that I have on my computer. Asus releases a full rom after the ota. I think the current one is .13, but I have an image of .19 that was built from the previous otas.

The files are copied to my computer and then transfered to my transformer. I am patching a non-running system and I am only transferring the files that need patches. Not all of them are changed, so why bother transfer them, just to transfer them back?

The patches are in the ota. If you unzip it, you'll see the directory.

Adjusting the ota is one strategy. Some people have no issues with this, others get hung up on unzipping. This is the same ota, repackaged in a zip format that doesn't require any adjustments.

It's a somewhat convoluted system, but I don't need to revert to stock to flash. Typically, I patch the system, deodex the rom, and then change the soft buttons to the stock honeycomb ones. I do this all without having to flash the ota.