[Q] TA Partition and root

Search This thread

nocomp

Feb 3, 2007
argonay
hi folks
i am expecting to get a z2 and i have few questions.
from what i ve understoud, if you want to root it, you need to unlock the bootloader, and if you want to unlock the bootloader, you need to backup TA partition first, but for perform this backup YOU NEED TO BE ROOT , and i have to admit that i am somehow lost :/

Any help around for solve my headache?
best regards

SwiftSmoke

Apr 30, 2011
Sony Xperia 1 II
No headache, at the current time there's no root workaround. It's a catch 22 scenario you can't do 1 step without screwing up the next 1.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

hillbicks

Jun 13, 2012
Hi @SwiftSmoke so it means you can t root z1 or z2?

Envoyé de mon GT-I9300 en utilisant Tapatalk

The whole deal is a bit confusing, yes ;)

The so called TA partition holds your DRM keys which give you access to DRM content. These are unique for each phone and a restore of the TA partition from a different phone would permanently brick your phone. If you restore your own TA partition however, the phone is locked again and your completely back to stock again, Sony won't be able to see that you've rooted it.

Now, in order to backup the TA partition, you need to have root access. In the past this was accomplished by an exploit, which gave you root access without wiping the TA partition. Therefore you could get root access, backup TA, flash a custom recovery, flash a custom ROM and if need be, flash your phone back to stock completely.

Hope that made things a bit clearer.

nocomp

Feb 3, 2007
argonay
I just need to have root in the safest way once i have my z2, is the exploit still up?

Envoyé de mon GT-I9300 en utilisant Tapatalk

Sathron

Oct 18, 2013
Is it possible to downgrade the android OS to 4.2 or 4.3, root it and get back to the latest version?

idlestranger

Jun 7, 2012
There may or may not be an exploit but if there is, according to what i know is that still your bootloader status should be either unloocked or unlockable. If the status is unlockable or unlock allowed no then there is nothing you can do.... Is this correct?

For instance if my bootloader is locked cuz most carrier locked phones on contracts come with a locked bootloader, if i get my phone unlocked will my bootloader status change? If not is there a way to boot such a phone.

I have a few questions on this

1. Is there a way to know if ure buying a phone with unlocked or locked bootloader ( obviously i cant open all boxes and check one by one by the command) ?

2. If the carrier locked phone have locked bootloaders and vice versa what if we unlock a carrier locked phone will the status change then?

3. Have anyone using previous xperia models with a locked bootloader been able to root so far?

Havent got one yet but as much as I am looking forward to get one these are all ofsetters.