aosp vs sense

Search This thread

gsx1000r02

Jul 21, 2011
I'm looking to make the switch to aosp. I know that the dialer codes only work on sense roms (#data, #775, #778). How can you get access to these when using an aosp rom? Is an aosp rom that much better than a sense rom?

StormyNight

Dec 31, 2013
Hyderabad
I'm looking to make the switch to aosp. I know that the dialer codes only work on sense roms (#data, #775, #778). How can you get access to these when using an aosp rom? Is an aosp rom that much better than a sense rom?

I was googling this earlier, and there are methods which can enable dialer codes but untested on our phones. Honestly there are hundreds of threads on AOSP and Sense comparisons, but in my opinion, AOSP has better battery life (although sometimes I've heard that Sense has better battery life), Sense has better looks as it has HTC's skin all over it. Last but not all, AOSP ROMs, such as Nocturnal GE are usually always on the latest version of Android.

Reactions: gsx1000r02

gsx1000r02

Jul 21, 2011
If you switch to AOSP (I am using LS AOSP Rom). You will lose some of these:

• Voicemail Application
  • Dialer Codes
  • All Hardware Camera Features (e.g. Burst, Zoe, etc)
  • Blinkfeed

Of those, can you get back the voicemail and camera funct. back? What, then, really makes aosp better? I have only ever had an HTC phone. The only thing I know is the Sense. If I was to switch to say a samsung or something else, what is really out there for them in terms of roms?

fryguy503

May 24, 2010
Pittsburgh
Of those, can you get back the voicemail and camera funct. back? What, then, really makes aosp better? I have only ever had an HTC phone. The only thing I know is the Sense. If I was to switch to say a samsung or something else, what is really out there for them in terms of roms?

There are Third party Camera apps that will emulate the burst feature. The Voicemail app you can use Google Voice, it has a "Similar" feature.

The deal is, AOSP is a preference some love it, some hate it. I prefer AOSP over Sense, however maybe you like TouchWiz (Samsung's Shell) or *Shudder* the old Moto Blur.

HTC Devices are built around Sense, the hardware is designed to work with it, and only it. This leads us to the closed source drivers that the Camera uses. This is what limits the AOSP's ability to interact with the camera, e.g. Burst and Zoe like functions.

The only way to tell, is to just try a AOSP Rom and decide for yourself. Do a Nandroid backup of your current setup then flash (A Sprint Version, do not flash a GSM/International Version or you will have a bad day) an AOSP Rom. I suggest Liquid Smooth.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2647850

Reactions: gsx1000r02

gsx1000r02

Jul 21, 2011
There are Third party Camera apps that will emulate the burst feature. The Voicemail app you can use Google Voice, it has a "Similar" feature.

The deal is, AOSP is a preference some love it, some hate it. I prefer AOSP over Sense, however maybe you like TouchWiz (Samsung's Shell) or *Shudder* the old Moto Blur.

HTC Devices are built around Sense, the hardware is designed to work with it, and only it. This leads us to the closed source drivers that the Camera uses. This is what limits the AOSP's ability to interact with the camera, e.g. Burst and Zoe like functions.

The only way to tell, is to just try a AOSP Rom and decide for yourself. Do a Nandroid backup of your current setup then flash (A Sprint Version, do not flash a GSM/International Version or you will have a bad day) an AOSP Rom. I suggest Liquid Smooth.

KEWL thanx for the fast response. I've been looking around at all of the different ROMs out there. I've been consistently using either BADBOYZ or BADSEED on sense. Looking to just try something different. I have CM on my Nexus 7 wifi, just wasn't sure about putting aosp on a phone. I know I also lose the dialer codes that can be used with sense roms. Is there any way to bring them back to aosp?

gsx1000r02

Jul 21, 2011
One question that I have never asked and could not find anything on. Which rom type has the better signal, aosp or sense?

jblaze10

Mar 23, 2012
Gold Canyon,Az
Google Pixel 4
KEWL thanx for the fast response. I've been looking around at all of the different ROMs out there. I've been consistently using either BADBOYZ or BADSEED on sense. Looking to just try something different. I have CM on my Nexus 7 wifi, just wasn't sure about putting aosp on a phone. I know I also lose the dialer codes that can be used with sense roms. Is there any way to bring them back to aosp?

I know its not a perfect solution but when I use Roms with no epst/dialer code support. I just keep a nandroid of a ROM that does. When I need it its just a nandroid away! Works for me!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you switch to AOSP (I am using LS AOSP Rom). You will lose some of these:

• Voicemail Application
    • Dialer Codes
    • All Hardware Camera Features (e.g. Burst, Zoe, etc)
    • Blinkfeed

I was googling this earlier, and there are methods which can enable dialer codes but untested on our phones. Honestly there are hundreds of threads on AOSP and Sense comparisons, but in my opinion, AOSP has better battery life (although sometimes I've heard that Sense has better battery life), Sense has better looks as it has HTC's skin all over it. Last but not all, AOSP ROMs, such as Nocturnal GE are usually always on the latest version of Android.