Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

il Duce

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Feb 25, 2009
Twin Cities, MN
@dodova

not sure if this is kernel or ROM or both,

BUT, woke up to a looping phone this morning. Pulled every log I could, logcat throwing errors on frequencies and such.

This was on 0.4, PM me your gtalk maybe we can try to fix together?

Thanks again for GREAT kernel.

EDIT: any other dev that can help bugfix please take a look :) freeza, chad, etc. TIA.

Attachments

• kmsg_dmesg_log_4.26_0625cst.zip
    92.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Reactions: Leeboy

rpenrod23

Jan 6, 2009
Midwest
Ditto for me on the reboot. Currently running 0.4 with D3RP ROM.

Edit: I should note that I have not noticed this problem on ZR3D (no disrespect meant Il Duce - I do like D3RP and had no issues with reboot on stock kernel, which I flashed this morning and reboots seemed to have stopped)

p3tr0s

I have had absolutely no issues with .4 on meanrom. Killer battery life and no lag at all. I just flashed .5 because I was bored. Odd thing though.... I didn't have any overheating issues on .4 but after a full charge on .5 my phone was getting pretty warm.

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

cas8180

Apr 1, 2007
Las Vegas
@dodova

not sure if this is kernel or ROM or both,

BUT, woke up to a looping phone this morning. Pulled every log I could, logcat throwing errors on frequencies and such.

This was on 0.4, PM me your gtalk maybe we can try to fix together?

Thanks again for GREAT kernel.

EDIT: any other dev that can help bugfix please take a look :) freeza, chad, etc. TIA.

Same thing happened to me yesterday and I was running meanROM 4 with this kernel I was forced to wipe everything and start over and rebuild my phone. Kind of sucked :(

kittykat858

Mar 26, 2011
on the new .5 kernel whats thermal managment mean??? sorry im still noobish :)

in most roms is a service called thermald - this service, as any service - uses memory and resources. on your windows pc, do start/run and type services.msc and press enter.. that is a list of services running on your pc to make it work - the phone has almost the same thing..

what i did for my sensation sense 4.0 kernel is move that service from the rom, into the kernel as part of general thermal management, to an existing kernel process, not an additional one like thermald. - less resources, no additional ram used, etc

what this service (or mod) does is adjust cpu clock according to the temp of the phone - the hotter the phone, the lower the clock - to prevent overheating, etc...

so, in theroy - you can delete the thermald service if it is managed by the kernel ***BUT DONT DO THIS QUITE YET***

the stock thermal service in the HTC kernel has issues finding zone 0 sometimes (not all the time, but yes, sometimes)

when i personally ported this linux 3 feature to my 2.6.38 kernels a few weeks ago - i still had issues w/ the sensor finding zone 0

if the thermal management kernel process cant find the zone, it cant see the temps, or manage cpu speed correctly. I know for the sensation this mod required a change to the shooter-board.c file as well, and i dont see that change in this kernel, nor have i tested it to see if it is working in this kernel.

if you run a kmsg and see:
<3>[ 1637.034361] msm_thermal: Unable to read TSENS sensor 0

anywhere in your log - do not delete or disable the thermald service
if you dont see that, feel free to delete/disable
**what you should see is msm_thermal: blah blah, temp = blah

its kinda hard for me to get it working, when the stock thermal service never worked correctly for me - dont know if it is my phone cause its hw001 or if it is the kernel - even the stock kernel in the RUU have issues reading zone 0 for me.

i have been playing with this specific modification for a few weeks for the evo 3d, and im hoping soon :)

i DIFFed the code from this kernel to mine, and it is close, not exact - so this mod for this kernel may work - like i said, only way to know is look @ ur kmsg logs

bignibb

Jul 14, 2010
I got boot looped as well but thought it was due to my being overclocked to 1.7ish

I have since dropped to 1.5, we will see how that goes.

dodava

Jul 28, 2007
Virginia
I got boot looped as well but thought it was due to my being overclocked to 1.7ish

I have since dropped to 1.5, we will see how that goes.

Anyone having boot loops add the following to either your init.d script or in init.post_boot.sh script.

chmod 700 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

il Duce

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Feb 25, 2009
Twin Cities, MN
Anyone having boot loops add the following to either your init.d script or in init.post_boot.sh script.

chmod 700 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state
chmod 700 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state

cpu1 doesn't have that path fyi. Only cpu0 has a time in state.

Or try out MeanROM hehe

Couple mean rom folks reported the same issues.

Reactions: Leeboy

dimebagdan65

Aug 4, 2010
Las Vegas
www.dimedroidhq.com
cpu1 doesn't have that path fyi. Only cpu0 has a time in state.

Couple mean rom folks reported the same issues.

Ouch, hadn't seen that! I thought I saw these tweaks in the init post boot file. Maybe folks are changing em? I dunno, odd... Hopefully once I finally finish my tutorial MeanROM will be bulletproof for all, not just the savvy few hehe. Plus I know Mikey's onto somethin that's gonna pay off big time in the near future
:thumbup::D:beer:

dodava

Jul 28, 2007
Virginia
Ouch, hadn't seen that! I thought I saw these tweaks in the init post boot file. Maybe folks are changing em? I dunno, odd... Hopefully once I finally finish my tutorial MeanROM will be bulletproof for all, not just the savvy few hehe. Plus I know Mikey's onto somethin that's gonna pay off big time in the near future
:thumbup::D:beer:

I have been PMing with Mike so he knows the change needs to be made.

dodava

Jul 28, 2007
Virginia
No reboots for a few hours after the sh edit. Got my fingers crossed. Did you see what Chad was talking about on his git? Is it related to the reboot thing? Thanks again :)

The only reboot change I saw on Chad's git was switching to the freq and volting from this kernel. These actually came from faux123. His previous settings which work on the qualcomm base caused reboots on the htc base.

Reactions: Leeboy and il Duce

dodava

Jul 28, 2007
Virginia
Does anybody know of a good app for stress testing your phone. I made some changes to the thermal management code so it now properly reads the cpu temperature. I need to stress test it to validate that it is also reducing the cpu freq when the heat thresholds are met. I have cranked the processor up to 1.72 and run Quadrant but it doesn't get close to the needed temps.

dodava

Jul 28, 2007
Virginia
Does anybody know of a good app for stress testing your phone. I made some changes to the thermal management code so it now properly reads the cpu temperature. I need to stress test it to validate that it is also reducing the cpu freq when the heat thresholds are met. I have cranked the processor up to 1.72 and run Quadrant but it doesn't get close to the needed temps.

Ok, I found StabilityTest and am using it. Temp is slowly going up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have removed this kernel and will no longer be distributing my kernel on XDA or participating at XDA. I received a request regarding the GPL which I could have easy complied with; however, it really irked me because making the request itself was very hypocritical.

XDA as a site is extremely hypocritical. They enforce the GPL against kernels but I have never seen them raise an issue regarding all the ROMs here which include gpl software but don't provide source. An example would be busybox. I have yet to see a developer distribute the code for it although almost very ROM on this site includes it. Also there are certain developers which don't provide source for their work as required by the gpl and action is never taken against them but it is against others.

Any enforcement of copyleft or copyright by XDA is really hypocritical because very ROM on this site violates copyright. Even the AOSP ROMs contain proprietary copyrighted software which the developers don't have a license to distribute. Any ROM based upon HTC Sense, Samsung Touchwiz, or any other vendor environment is violating copyright because these companies have not granted a license to distribute their software.

Are you using a ROM with Beats on your Evo 3d? If so the developer distributing it is violating HTC's license and you are to because HTC hasn't granted you a license to use it.

I'm not saying these things should be enforced and XDA should ban all ROMs, but what they shouldn't do is pretend they are protecting free software or policing against pirated copyrighted software. XDA is built upon violating free software and violating copyright. They have chosen to selectively enforce copyleft and copyright to suit their needs. Anytime selective enforcement is allowed it will lead to abuse of the privilege to selective enforce. This is exactly what is happening at XDA.

XDA needs to either to fully enforce copyleft and copyright or to not enforce. The current situation is extermely hypocritical and in the end leaves XDA just as exposed to legal action as not enforcing copyleft and copyright.

I appreciate all the thanks I have received from users and regret that I cannot continue to provide you kernels here at XDA.
    I have removed this kernel and will no longer be distributing my kernel on XDA or participating at XDA. I received a request regarding the GPL which I could have easy complied with; however, it really irked me because making the request itself was very hypocritical.

XDA as a site is extremely hypocritical. They enforce the GPL against kernels but I have never seen them raise an issue regarding all the ROMs here which include gpl software but don't provide source. An example would be busybox. I have yet to see a developer distribute the code for it although almost very ROM on this site includes it. Also there are certain developers which don't provide source for their work as required by the gpl and action is never taken against them but it is against others.

Any enforcement of copyleft or copyright by XDA is really hypocritical because very ROM on this site violates copyright. Even the AOSP ROMs contain proprietary copyrighted software which the developers don't have a license to distribute. Any ROM based upon HTC Sense, Samsung Touchwiz, or any other vendor environment is violating copyright because these companies have not granted a license to distribute their software.

Are you using a ROM with Beats on your Evo 3d? If so the developer distributing it is violating HTC's license and you are to because HTC hasn't granted you a license to use it.

I'm not saying these things should be enforced and XDA should ban all ROMs, but what they shouldn't do is pretend they are protecting free software or policing against pirated copyrighted software. XDA is built upon violating free software and violating copyright. They have chosen to selectively enforce copyleft and copyright to suit their needs. Anytime selective enforcement is allowed it will lead to abuse of the privilege to selective enforce. This is exactly what is happening at XDA.

XDA needs to either to fully enforce copyleft and copyright or to not enforce. The current situation is extermely hypocritical and in the end leaves XDA just as exposed to legal action as not enforcing copyleft and copyright.

I appreciate all the thanks I have received from users and regret that I cannot continue to provide you kernels here at XDA.
    I'm going to add the following to the OP but wanted to post it here so the people that have contacted me regarding donations see it.

I have been contacted by several people who have wished to give donations. While I appreciate the thought I am not seeking nor accepting donations. Your expressions of gratitude are more than enough. I do this because I find it enjoyable and would be doing it if no one but myself was using this kernel. That being said a couple of people have been insistent about wanting to donate. If you really want to show appreciation beyond just a thanks, I encourage you to donate to the March of Dimes NICU family support program, https://www.marchofdimes.com/giving/support_nicu.html. 5 years ago my daughter was born prematurely, today she is a healthy and happy 5 year old, and the NICU family support program was a great help to my family and continues to be a great source of support to thousands families each year whose babies end up in neonatal intensive care units across the country. Using the link I provided your donation will be specifically earmarked for the NICU family support program. Donations are tax deductible.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
    pstevepOn, a side note, I would like to thank you personally for standing up against Hacre on the GPL thread last night. He's come into the 3d forum (somewhere he has no business to start with)several times now insulting everyone in his path. While there were other mods in that discussion who didn't say a word about the crap he was throwing out, you did, and that's the way it should be. Props to you.
    The newest release is missing these files? Or are both 5.2 and 5.3 missing........

they are missing lines, only affect on-demand governor

i think they been missing since he went to the 2-phase governor that comes on the htc rezound

im actually surprised it compiled with those missing w/-o2

but in his makefile, he disables a lot of error/warning notifications

..just wanna help him out, he is new at this and it seems like he really wants to learn

dodava - get rid of ur KBUILD_CPPFLAGS flags that start w/ Wno - then compile w/ -o2 - if u need help fixing the errors, or warnings you get- PM me
    (my full anthrax kernels compile -o3 w/ no errors or warnings -i hate errors/warnings during a build - and to the haters.. YES showp's source helped me achieve this on toolchain 4.6.x, but on 4.4.x i figured it all out on my own)

why3.png