What Case for someone that wants it light and thin

Case option for light and thin

• Total voters
Search This thread

pbrown77

Oct 11, 2007
Yeh I know there is a topic about cases which I have read somewhat but it's getting quite long int he tooth and still not convinced what case to get for my needs.

I am after a case that is light and thin. Would not consider anything that isn't, even if it has a great finish like Noreve etc (Had one for my S2 but it adds too much bulk)

My main areas of interest I would like are

- Thin (lots of the nice looking leather cases are thick
- Light (same as above)
- The amount and quality of how the case stands up is good
- Material feels nice to hold

Now I am looking at the following cases.

- Genuine Samsung
- Seems the thinnest and lightest
- The standup arrangements are fairly limited
- The flap doesn't stay closed when carrying it a certain way
- Expensive

- Poetic Slim
- Reasonable thin and light but not the same as Samsung case (can it be felt while holding???)
- I like the arrangement when it lies almost on its back and has the buttons and usb port at the top
- The flap stay shut by a magnetic when holding it
- Reasonably cheap

Moko Ultra Slim
- Looks OK but nothing stands out over the Poetic one that I know of???

Any other suggestions for a LIGHT and THIN case?

Reactions: DeBoX

DeBoX

Jul 26, 2010
Heard that there are some issues with the digitizer and the magnets on the poetic. A few youtube vis have been posted....

Anyone confirm?

Reactions: pbrown77

KobrakaiMM

Nov 4, 2009
Poetic Slimline

I own (and use daily for over a month) the Poetic Slimline. It's thin, light and looks good. Magnets keep the flap closed nicely. I have had zero problems and I use the s-pen for sketching a lot. Even the edges of the screen show absolutely no problems. So I don't know if I am lucky or the others just have a faulty case.

The only thing I dislike is the flap as a stand. It works, but it doesn't feel as sturdy. I would have been better if it was more like those iPad covers.

Reactions: pbrown77

Felix1701D

Nov 6, 2010
I have been using the Poetic Slimline on the Note (in red, if that matters) for a couple of months as well. It is a very nice case and I have no problems to report regarding the S-Pen. However, there are a few things related to the lid that are starting to annoy me and have me investigating alternatives.

1. The magnets that are supposed to hold the lid closed are not strong enough. If I hold the tablet as if it were a notebook with the spine (the side with the capacitive buttons) resting on my palm and start walking, the lid will open by itself after a few steps. To prevent this, I now hold it on the opposite side so that my palm is holding the lid closed. If I hold the tablet by the edges with the lid facing down, the lid will not stay closed. I also own a Nexus 7 in a Poetic Slimline case and that one has no problems with the lid staying closed. I think the size of the Note may be too much for the magnets.

2. I am not sure I can blame this one entirely on the case, but I have observed some problems with inadvertent screen activation. Because the lid hinge is made of the same leather-like material, it is flexible and allows the lid to slide up or down along the screen while closed. If you slide the lid up by about 5mm, the screen will turn on even though the lid is closed. For me this happens most often when I carry the tablet (in the case) inside a backpack. Similarly, the lid is thin and flexible enough that the home button is easily pressed. There have been several occasions when I have pulled the tablet out of my backpack to find it on and with the S-Voice user agreement on the screen (I don't use S-Voice so have never set it up).

3. This is a minor aesthetic issue, but the tri-fold elements on the lid tend to not remain flush with the screen when closed; it is probably just the nature of tri-fold covers. Personally, I would prefer a single piece lid that could be folded back, even if that would mean losing the ability for the case to serve as a stand.

If it weren't for the items above I would be completely happy with the case. In fact, I love the Nexus 7 version of it. I just think the lid material and/or the closure magnets are too weak for the increased screen size of the Note.

pbrown77

Oct 11, 2007
Simply can't go wrong with the Roocase executive portfolio here: http://www.roocase.com/Executive-Po...--Black-rooCASE/cat-p/c1000122/p10519301.html

Great protection when you want it and light and slim when you don't. It comes out of the portfolio completely.

I ordered the Poetic slimline case in the end.

I had a quick look at the Roocase and saw the weight and thickness of it and it turned me off. Didn't realise it came out of the portfolio... Hmm, maybe consider that if I don't like the Poetic Slimline

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yeh I know there is a topic about cases which I have read somewhat but it's getting quite long int he tooth and still not convinced what case to get for my needs.

I am after a case that is light and thin. Would not consider anything that isn't, even if it has a great finish like Noreve etc (Had one for my S2 but it adds too much bulk)

My main areas of interest I would like are

- Thin (lots of the nice looking leather cases are thick
    - Light (same as above)
    - The amount and quality of how the case stands up is good
    - Material feels nice to hold

Now I am looking at the following cases.

- Genuine Samsung
    - Seems the thinnest and lightest
    - The standup arrangements are fairly limited
    - The flap doesn't stay closed when carrying it a certain way
    - Expensive

- Poetic Slim
    - Reasonable thin and light but not the same as Samsung case (can it be felt while holding???)
    - I like the arrangement when it lies almost on its back and has the buttons and usb port at the top
    - The flap stay shut by a magnetic when holding it
    - Reasonably cheap

Moko Ultra Slim
    - Looks OK but nothing stands out over the Poetic one that I know of???

Any other suggestions for a LIGHT and THIN case?
    Heard that there are some issues with the digitizer and the magnets on the poetic. A few youtube vis have been posted....

Anyone confirm?
    Poetic Slimline

I own (and use daily for over a month) the Poetic Slimline. It's thin, light and looks good. Magnets keep the flap closed nicely. I have had zero problems and I use the s-pen for sketching a lot. Even the edges of the screen show absolutely no problems. So I don't know if I am lucky or the others just have a faulty case.

The only thing I dislike is the flap as a stand. It works, but it doesn't feel as sturdy. I would have been better if it was more like those iPad covers.
    Simply can't go wrong with the Roocase executive portfolio here: http://www.roocase.com/Executive-Po...--Black-rooCASE/cat-p/c1000122/p10519301.html

Great protection when you want it and light and slim when you don't. It comes out of the portfolio completely.