Missing data after 4.4 update

Search This thread

illego

Aug 12, 2010
Please help. My wife did the 4.4 kit kat update on her note 8 5110. Update seems to finish fine but now all her data is gone. It looks like the internal SD card is cleaned. However, I see that under storage, it says that only 1.2 gb is free so it seems that the data is still there but not mounted. I tried to root the tablet using CF root method but every time I go into the tablet, it says that SU has stopped. I install Philz CMW to try to fix root but that did not work either.

Hopefully someone is able to help me. I was hoping to be able to root and go searching for the files but no such luck. I am not too familiar with adb commands but if someone can point me in the right direction to be able to copy her personal files out and move them to the new location on the tablet. Thank you.

ramjet73

Jan 12, 2006
Honolulu, Hawaii
Please help. My wife did the 4.4 kit kat update on her note 8 5110. Update seems to finish fine but now all her data is gone. It looks like the internal SD card is cleaned. However, I see that under storage, it says that only 1.2 gb is free so it seems that the data is still there but not mounted. I tried to root the tablet using CF root method but every time I go into the tablet, it says that SU has stopped. I install Philz CMW to try to fix root but that did not work either.

Hopefully someone is able to help me. I was hoping to be able to root and go searching for the files but no such luck. I am not too familiar with adb commands but if someone can point me in the right direction to be able to copy her personal files out and move them to the new location on the tablet. Thank you.
Are you letting recovery flash SuperSU for you? If so, I suggest that you try flashing the installable zip file in recovery from this page instead.

ramjet73

illego

Aug 12, 2010
Are you letting recovery flash SuperSU for you? If so, I suggest that you try flashing the installable zip file in recovery from this page instead.

ramjet73

Thanks for the reply ramjet. I've tried both CF-Auto-Root and just letting recovery try to fix it. I've tried flashing the file you suggested and it still did not work.

ramjet73

Jan 12, 2006
Honolulu, Hawaii
Thanks for the reply ramjet. I've tried both CF-Auto-Root and just letting recovery try to fix it. I've tried flashing the file you suggested and it still did not work.
Hmmm...

Did you test for root with Root Checker? I don't understand how you could have done all that and still not be rooted.

Since you have a working recovery you might want to try backing up all your partitions to the SD card, removing the SD card, and flashing the 4.4.2 update with Odin. Then try the CF-Auto-Root again and if that completes successfully you can flash your custom recovery, insert the SD card, restore the data partition from the backup and look for the missing data.

ramjet73

illego

Aug 12, 2010
Can you point me to an odin package for the 4.4? I tried searching on google and it points me to sammobile.com. Looks like you have to pay to download. It tried reflashing the cmw package with my sd card and it keeps failing. Not enough space.

I am ready at this point to wipe out everything start clean on the tablet.

Thanks.

ramjet73

Jan 12, 2006
Honolulu, Hawaii
Can you point me to an odin package for the 4.4? I tried searching on google and it points me to sammobile.com. Looks like you have to pay to download. It tried reflashing the cmw package with my sd card and it keeps failing. Not enough space.

I am ready at this point to wipe out everything start clean on the tablet.

Thanks.
It is sammobile.com but you don't have to pay.

Assuming you have a GT-N5110 the firmware you need is here, including instructions on how to install it.

ramjet73

illego

Aug 12, 2010
Thanks for your help ramjet. I made an account and downloading. I'll try it out and hopefully it clears my issues.

illego

Aug 12, 2010
No luck at all. I ended up formatting everything to clean the card then odin the official 4.4 update. Wife only had pictures (sync to dropbox) and audiobooks on there. Still could not get root. I was not able to flash any 4.4 rom either.

Guess I am going back to 4.2.2. That version rooted fine and I have a Titanium backup of her tablet before updating to 4.4. Hopefully everything is okay after 4.2.2.