wifi goes sleep even setting policy to "Always On"

Search This thread

adazamim

Sep 24, 2010
Cairo
UPDATE: So far today i am at 41% battery and wifi has not disconnected yet when in sleep mode (fingers crossed :D )

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

Hey have u read this???? Seems it's not hardware related after all! Yeayyy!! :D
http://www.androidcentral.com/how-work-around-wifi-disconnection-issues-htc-one-x-and-one-s

Sure I read this,
And that's why I started saying hopefully HTC rolls an update to the radio !!
Hopefully !!! :D

Entreri

Sep 26, 2008
I wrote that it's (probably) a software problem like 10 posts above ;)
But contrary to what's written in that linked article, I still have that problem on 1.28... :/

Last edited:
Reactions: adazamim

arnie105

Mar 15, 2011
Southampton
I have been having this issue as well. Thought I was going mad. I have been losing connection to wifi during the night when the phone is on charge and being charged from above 10%. Will keep an eye on it and see what happens and when it's happening. Going over to fibre broadband next week and getting a N router so will keep an eye on that aspect as well.

rally

Feb 8, 2006
I have the reverse issue - I WANT my phone to disconnect from WiFi when it's in sleep mode, but it doesn't. Whenever I'm at home I have tons of devices receiving push notifications and such, and I have no apps I need running in the background. When I go outdoors, I just enable 3G data and I'm all set.. However, the usage statistics shows that my WiFi is always on even though I've set it to be always off in sleep mode. I suspect this is one of the causes of my very crappy battery life (I have a large house with thick walls and only one router, so the reception in some rooms are awful, which probably drains the battery). While it does seem like a software issue, I sure hope it's corrected soon.

kylec

Aug 5, 2010
Brisbane
I have the reverse issue - I WANT my phone to disconnect from WiFi when it's in sleep mode, but it doesn't. Whenever I'm at home I have tons of devices receiving push notifications and such, and I have no apps I need running in the background. When I go outdoors, I just enable 3G data and I'm all set.. However, the usage statistics shows that my WiFi is always on even though I've set it to be always off in sleep mode. I suspect this is one of the causes of my very crappy battery life (I have a large house with thick walls and only one router, so the reception in some rooms are awful, which probably drains the battery). While it does seem like a software issue, I sure hope it's corrected soon.

I'm the same, I've been trying to find.methods to make it work bit nothing so far

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

adazamim

Sep 24, 2010
Cairo
Got a reply from htc - weird and generic

Hello again,

I sent the exact symptoms of my problem to HTC and here's the answer I've got.
Sure this is a template generic reply to any problem.

What's really interesting on this reply is the "Safe Mode", a way to run your device without any Third Party Application
Point no. 3 in their reply below

This is something I haven't think of ....
Maybe this will be the answer,

I have googled how to activate the "HTC Function Test application" and found the following:
How to test HTC One X hardware functions?
Go to Phone. Dial in *#*#3424#*#*. HTC Function Test application will be loaded then. Take your time to test all of them.

Safe Mode, along with other several tests are listed.

Hint:
  1. SafeMode can also be activated by following these steps:
  2. Shut down your phone.
  3. Turn it back on
  4. As soon as you see the "HTC" Logo, press and hold "Volume Down" button.
  5. Safe mode will be activated with a tag in bottom left

I will use this mode whenever the problem regenerates,
I will test WiFi,

With regards to your enquiry,

1)Please make sure there is enough free memory on the “Phone memory”, to check the available memory kindly go to Home>Menu>Settings>SD card & Phone storage, make sure that there is at least 5.0 free MBs on the phone memory, if not kindly delete some applications to free memory or you can go to Home>menu>Settings>Applications>Manage applications, and delete the cache of the applications you have
2)Please turn off the handset and restart it again while pressing and holding the "……" button to open the handset in safe mode, and check if the issue persists or not.
3)If you can access the handset in Safe mode, then the issue will be a result of a 3rd party application, kindly uninstall any 3rd party application that you have on the device, to remove 3rd party applications please open the device in “Safe Mode” and delete the applications.
4)If the issue is still not solved you can kindly try to perform a soft reset to the device by turning the device off, removing the battery and putting it back in again then turning on.
5)If the last step didn't solve the issue, kindly backup all the information on your handset either by synchronizing to a PC/laptop or by using a data backup software to back the information up on the memory card of the handset then perform a Factory reset to your handset, kindly follow the steps below to perform the Factory reset: Go To Home>Settings>Storage>Factory data reset, Tap "Reset Phone" then tap "Erase everything"

Kindly be informed that this process will erase all the information on the phone memory of your handset so please make sure that you have a backup of your data.

If the problem remains after resetting the phone, then you will need to send the phone to the repair center at the country of purchase, and we will need then to provide us with your phone serial number in order to know the origin of the phone.

ujiosan

Sep 4, 2011
istanbul
got the same problem

got the same problem plus wifi indicator looks like there is no connection but i can use internet

adazamim

Sep 24, 2010
Cairo
Got Htc agent's response - disable auto disconnect to solve the problem

Hello again,

I had anothe reply to my problem form HTC's Agent in Egypt, JoviTronix.

Here it is:

Dear,

Please note that your settings may be the root cause for this issue ,please uncheck this option and try again. (Refer to pic)

We have tried to reproduce this issue from our side but we cannot reproduce this issue.

Please let me know if you are using any application related to power saver or Wi-Fi functions.

I need a confirmation from xda-users here on this thread:
Do you have the "Auto-Disconnect" option checked on your devices?
Does disabling this option solve the problem for you?!

Thank you all.

Last edited:

arnie105

Mar 15, 2011
Southampton
Hello again,

I sent the exact symptoms of my problem to HTC and here's the answer I've got.
Sure this is a template generic reply to any problem.

What's really interesting on this reply is the "Safe Mode", a way to run your device without any Third Party Application
Point no. 3 in their reply below

This is something I haven't think of ....
Maybe this will be the answer,

I have googled how to activate the "HTC Function Test application" and found the following:
How to test HTC One X hardware functions?
Go to Phone. Dial in *#*#3424#*#*. HTC Function Test application will be loaded then. Take your time to test all of them.

Safe Mode, along with other several tests are listed.

Hint:
  1. SafeMode can also be activated by following these steps:
  2. Shut down your phone.
  3. Turn it back on
  4. As soon as you see the "HTC" Logo, press and hold "Volume Down" button.
  5. Safe mode will be activated with a tag in bottom left

I will use this mode whenever the problem regenerates,
I will test WiFi,

With regards to the suggestion in the reply you had of removing the battery....HOW??? :)

So far today I haven't had any issues although phone is showing 60% charge left so will see what happens as the evening progresses.

adazamim

Sep 24, 2010
Cairo
With regards to the suggestion in the reply you had of removing the battery....HOW??? :)

So far today I haven't had any issues although phone is showing 60% charge left so will see what happens as the evening progresses.

Lol arnie :)
Really no clue :D
That's why it's generic.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

DanteGR

Dec 14, 2010
Thessaloniki
www.facebook.com
OnePlus 11
Hello again,

I had anothe reply to my problem form HTC's Agent in Egypt, JoviTronix.

Here it is:

I need a confirmation from xda-users here on this thread:
Do you have the "Auto-Disconnect" option checked on your devices?
Does disabling this option solve the problem for you?!

Thank you all.

I have this option disabled from the beginning and i believe it hasn't made a difference..

Sent from my HTC One X via Tapatalk 2

DanteGR

Dec 14, 2010
Thessaloniki
www.facebook.com
OnePlus 11
Update.
I was at 55% battery and I left the screen off for aproximately 45 mins.
When I turned it on both wifi and mobile data were off again :(
Sleep policy was set to always on and the "auto-disconnect" option was off.
I hope htc comes up with a fix soon because i am missing many notifications and it's annoying as hell..

adazamim

Sep 24, 2010
Cairo
This app keeps the phone awake,
This is a work around not a solution ..
I am not going to use it ...

Problem has regenerated even with the "Auto-Disconnect" is un-marked.
I am going to "Safe Mode"
Will monitor and give a feed back

DanteGR

Dec 14, 2010
Thessaloniki
www.facebook.com
OnePlus 11
No problem whatsoever today and screen was off for about 4 hours continuously at about 48% battery (yesterday same battery level i had a disconnect..) No wifi disconnection
This is getting weirder every day...

Sent from my HTC One X via Tapatalk 2

Eggcake

Apr 5, 2010
I didn't have the problem for the whole week, but then at the university, WiFi disconnected several times. I also couldn't connect - it reported very good signal, but when I connected the signal shown on that particular access point dropped to almost zero. I restarted WiFi and everything was fine again (i.e. I could connect without a problem).

Something's definitely amiss.

ikuze

Apr 26, 2012
This happens to me every evening/night.
It's really annoying because I don't receive any mails/messages until I turn on my display.
I hope there will be a fix soon. (Shouldn't be there a setting for that?)

schiphol

Apr 3, 2007
AMS
This happens to me every evening/night.
It's really annoying because I don't receive any mails/messages until I turn on my display.
I hope there will be a fix soon. (Shouldn't be there a setting for that?)

+1 what the hell is this!? I can't believe a 500 euro phone's basic functionality could fail like this. I am not receiving any notifications e.g. over night, all my data connections (BOTH wifi and 3g) are dead after the phone's display has been shut off (asleep) for a couple of hours (?).

Monrad

Nov 23, 2007
Have you seen this?

http://ausdroid.net/2012/04/26/maintenance-update-for-the-htc-one-x-on-vodafone-rolling-out-tomorrow-morning/ said:
If you’re the proud owner of a HTC One X on Vodafone, it’s very likely you’ll be receiving an update tomorrow morning. The update isn’t going to change anything major (ie. no OS update), however, Vodafone says it will fix the following bugs, leaving you with a flawless user experience:

Enhanced system stability
Fixes to WiFi, GPS and USB interface to improve battery performance
Improved camera support for Instagram
Intermittent display noise issue fixed
Slow motion and camera power usage improvement
Signal indicator improvement
USB to PC detection, tethering and internet pass-through fix
WiFi indicator fix
The update will be an over-the-air affair, so don’t worry about having to sync the phone to your PC. It will be around 27MB in size and free to download over Vodafone 3G — we recommend you use Wi-Fi though. Make sure you battery is mostly full before updating your One X.

If you don’t yet own a HTC One X, please have a read of our review to see if it’s the right device for you. Or, you know, you could wait out for a little something from Samsung.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK, I've read most of this thread and had already tried all the non-dev options including "hidden" power management menus, always on data, unchecking the "put data connections to sleep", and so on. Nothing worked. I was having the same problem with my Evo 3D ROM and it was repeatable: set the time manually to something like 3am, put the phone down, and in about 20 minutes, you could watch the phone drop from the router. Turn the screen on and NO data connection. I wanted this solved because I need a consistent data connection even at night, so I went to work. After examining some logcats, I came to this thread because I found that what was disconnecting the data connections was "Smart Sync" and this thread came up in a Google Search. Turns out Smart Sync IS the culprit. How I fixed it in my ROM...

The command to disconnect is coming from /system/app/Settings.apk. Decompile that apk with apktool and here's what you have to do:

You need to make mods to two files in the decompiled smali:

- com/android/settings/framework/activity/powersaver/SmartSyncDataLinkTurnOffReceiver.smali
    - com/android/settings/framework/activity/SmartSyncDataLinkTurnOffReceiver.smali

In those two smali files, we need to kill these two methods:

- SetAlarmTurnOffMobileDataLink
    - SetAlarmTurnOffWifiDataLink

We do that by simply putting a "goto" command near the top and the corresponding :goto label at the bottom. Example:

.method public SetAlarmTurnOffMobileDataLink(Landroid/content/Context;I)V
    .locals 11
    goto :goto_0 <--- put this line right under the "locals" declaration
    and at the bottom of that same method, put in the goto label:

:goto_0 <--- put this line right before "return-void"
    return-void
    .end method

That's it. Recompile and push the Settings.apk back to your /system/app folder and chmod the file 644. I realize that's not "common jargon" but anyone familiar with apktool and doing mods will be able to help you. I did it on my ROM and hopefully the above will be enough info to help anyone do the same. After the above change, my phone stayed online all night with no data dropping. Even better, it didn't appear to draw ANY more power than with this hard coded crap enabled. So I hope this helps.

Seems like there should be some way to turn off "smart sync", or at least the tendency for "smart sync" to completely cut off your data connection. If someone finds such a method in the settings somewhere, I'll feel a bit foolish, but given that we're at page 30 in this thread with no solution, I kinda doubt that'll happen. Of course, there are no guarantees that this will work on all platforms just because it worked on the Evo 3D, but I think it will given the code.

Also, there are obviously multiple ways to do the above job. You could delete all the code in the entire function and just leave it with "return-void". I choose to "jump around" the code, rendering it dormant just because I prefer to leave the (now dormant) code there should I choose to go back in the future and look at what WAS being done. That's just personal preference.

Edit: I found more junk you have to remove to solve this completely. See this post.

Mike
    I actually found more code involved in the data link shutdown. My solution on page 30 worked most of the time. If you shut the screen off after midnight, it'd keep a connection all night. However, I found that if you shut the phone's screen off before midnight, say 11pm, and it had been sleeping a while and passed the midnight marker while the screen was already off, it'd shut down: again from 12am to 7am. I found the culprit with some sniffing of the logcat. As an addendum to my prior solution, to get rid of this crap completely, you have to kill (comment) all instances of these two method calls in the power saver and smart sync smali's (again, these are in Settings.apk):

setmobiledataenabled
    setwifienabled

In the Evo 3D ROM, I found these in the following files in com\android\settings\framework\activity\powersaver:

PowerSaverModeReceiver.smali
    SmartSyncDataLinkTurnOffReceiver.smali
    SmartSyncIntentService.smali
    SmartSynServiceReceiver.smali

In those files, just put a # at the front of every line that has starts with "invoke" and ends with setmobiledataenabled or setwifienabled in the same line. These methods are used in many of the smali files and many of them are fine, but in my eyes, they should never be called from the power saver or smart sync code because I don't want those objects affecting my data connection: only bad can come of that. I tested multiple times and now the data connection no longer drops as it passes the midnight barrier.

I even found some occurrences of setwifienabled in SystemUI.apk and killed those too (only the ones involved in power saver) for good measure. They're in:

PowerSaverOperation.smali in \com\android\systemui\power

Mike
    OK. Here you go. Give this a try.

Kinda hard flying blind (I don't have your device to test), so let me know how it goes.

Mike
    Mikeyxda and all following this thread I'm sorry to inform you that the method described above is not working on our devices :(
    Many thanks for the feedback though Mikey.
    Really appreciate it bro :)

Wait... don't give up yet. :) I downloaded your flash and, while it looks like you got both of the methods in SmartSyncDataLinkTurnOffReceiver.smali, you did not deactivate the ones in the other file: SmartSyncScreenOnOffTimeReceiver.smali.

Open SmartSyncScreenOnOffTimeReceiver.smali and put in those same goto's to bypass the code in these two methods so that it goes to the return-void:

.method public SetAlarmTurnOffMobileDataLink(Landroid/content/Context;I)V
    and
    .method public SetAlarmTurnOffWifiDataLink(Landroid/content/Context;I)V

Once you hack those other two, I think you'll be set.

I'd do it myself and produce a flashable ZIP but I don't have the framework for your device and don't want to download the whole ROM and extract the framework and overwrite my dev environment. Not a big deal but a bit of a pain if you can already do it.

Mike
    Hi guys, have you tried configuring an Exchange account and disabling SmartSync from that account?

CM9 report: 3:11hrs have passed, my phone has been sleeping for some time and not a single disconnection.

Tomorrow I'll try to connect to my problematic router at the office.