[Q] SIM Card Not Recognized after Install

Search This thread

ForgottenSolstace

Dec 19, 2012
Calgary
BlackBerry Evolve X
Similar to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2375050 (except I made an efs backup), my SIM card is no longer recognized. Backed up everything using default Clockwork Mod recovery settings 6.0.3 on Wind T889v.

I installed roms in this order:

1. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2675066
  2. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2488986

Of course, I noticed the SIM card was no longer being recognized upon installing Slim

In the past GT-N700 ROMs for T0LTE have worked fine. I was running BeanStalk 4.4.2 W0etweaks with working phone and sim card. The issue occured when installing.

As if my phone had not detected a SIM card, phone number, IMIE SV, and IMIE show up as "uknown".

I am not too sure how to proceed? Ideas?

Darkshado

Apr 16, 2011
Montréal
Nvidia Shield Tablet
Nexus 6
I've had similar issues with some versions of TWRP where flashing an Omni 4.4 nightly would leave me with no signal and an unknown IMEI. Flashing the very same ROM with CWM would work. (Odd, I know.)

FWIW I just flashed the latest t0lte Omni nightly with TWRP t0lte 2.7.0.0 earlier today and everything's been fine.

Another thing to look into is SELinux and making sure it is set to permissive.

ForgottenSolstace

Dec 19, 2012
Calgary
BlackBerry Evolve X
I've had similar issues with some versions of TWRP where flashing an Omni 4.4 nightly would leave me with no signal and an unknown IMEI. Flashing the very same ROM with CWM would work. (Odd, I know.)

FWIW I just flashed the latest t0lte Omni nightly with TWRP t0lte 2.7.0.0 earlier today and everything's been fine.

Another thing to look into is SELinux and making sure it is set to permissive.
Tried with CWM 6.0.3 with no luck. Tried with Phiz Touch 6.07.9-t0lte, and no luck as well. I will try TWRP t0ltecan 2.7.0 shortly. Which version of CWM did you get it to work with?

Tried setting SELinux to permissive via https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mrbimc.selinux, but it made no difference. Am I supposed to do something after I set it to permissive?

ForgottenSolstace

Dec 19, 2012
Calgary
BlackBerry Evolve X
TWRP 2.6.0 Will Not Work

Tried with CWM 6.0.3 with no luck. Tried with Phiz Touch 6.07.9-t0lte, and no luck as well. I will try TWRP t0ltecan 2.7.0 shortly. Which version of CWM did you get it to work with?

Tried setting SELinux to permissive via https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mrbimc.selinux, but it made no difference. Am I supposed to do something after I set it to permissive?

I was not able to install TWRP t0ltecan 2.7.0, but I was able to install TWRP t0lte 2.6.0. And the installation, along with any other 4.4 ROM fails with the following error:

Code:
set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed
E: Error executing updater binary in zip '/external...
Error flashing zip 'external_sdcard/omni-4.4.2..

I will try other ROMs with CWM 6.0.3 and Philz TouchWiz. Hopefully, I will figure something out...

ForgottenSolstace

Dec 19, 2012
Calgary
BlackBerry Evolve X
Fixed My Phone!

Hmm... I've been troubleshooting different ROMs with no luck. But could this be the solution? http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1970338

Indeed, I had to flash my modem. For users like me, of the T889V, download the modem from http://androtransfer.com/?developer=cmenard&folder=SGH-T889 and flash the file using the recovery of your choice (I used TeamWin 2.7.0). Note that you will need to install openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.0-t0lte.zip (and not the can version openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.0-t0ltecan.zip, as that version will not install). You can flash your modem at any time, and it will not affect your current ROM. You don't need to clear dalvik cache, cache, or do a factory reset; just flash the modem file.

This problem occurs because you try to install a ROM that's not for your phone. So in my case, OmniRom included a modem not for my version (international). Because the modem is normally not included in ROM packages, it doesn't matter which ROM you install. To get back to a working state, you need to flash your original modem.

Hopefully this helps someone.

ForgottenSolstace

Dec 19, 2012
Calgary
BlackBerry Evolve X
Uhh... not really

Indeed, I had to flash my modem. For users like me, of the T889V, download the modem from http://androtransfer.com/?developer=cmenard&folder=SGH-T889 and flash the file using the recovery of your choice (I used TeamWin 2.7.0). Note that you will need to install openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.0-t0lte.zip (and not the can version openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.0-t0ltecan.zip, as that version will not install). You can flash your modem at any time, and it will not affect your current ROM. You don't need to clear dalvik cache, cache, or do a factory reset; just flash the modem file.

This problem occurs because you try to install a ROM that's not for your phone. So in my case, OmniRom included a modem not for my version (international). Because the modem is normally not included in ROM packages, it doesn't matter which ROM you install. To get back to a working state, you need to flash your original modem.

Hopefully this helps someone.

Well, turns out I was wrong. I'm back at where I started. Somehow, after rebooting once with the new ROM, I started getting the exact same problem with no service and unknown IME.

Tried flashing the modem with no luck.

Is there a reason why this would only work for the first time? Is it possible that I installed an app that caused this problem?

Will update if I find any solutions...

mattlowry

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 2, 2011
Valley View, TX
Well, turns out I was wrong. I'm back at where I started. Somehow, after rebooting once with the new ROM, I started getting the exact same problem with no service and unknown IME.

Tried flashing the modem with no luck.

Is there a reason why this would only work for the first time? Is it possible that I installed an app that caused this problem?

Will update if I find any solutions...

have you tried selinux mode changer? you may try devil or agni kernel also

Coug76

Feb 27, 2011
East of Seattle
You could try to Odin back to your device's stock rom. Which ever version is appropriate for your bootloader.

Hastily spouted for your befuddlement

ForgottenSolstace

Dec 19, 2012
Calgary
BlackBerry Evolve X
You could try to Odin back to your device's stock rom. Which ever version is appropriate for your bootloader.

Hastily spouted for your befuddlement

Tried flashing stock via Kies. Still the same problem.

Also, ran into this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pai4BH3AWq8 but on Stock, there was no option 6 or way to see FTM.

On custom 4.4 roms, you get the "Mobile Network not Available" when trying to fix null IMEI (update: IMEI shows up as null/null).

Any help would be appreciated.

Coug76

Feb 27, 2011
East of Seattle

ForgottenSolstace

Dec 19, 2012
Calgary
BlackBerry Evolve X
The Modem Likely Burned

After a long week of research, I believe I determined the cause of the issue: when I flashed the Slim Rom, it burned out my modem on my motherboard, as the ROM was not built for my Note variant (T889v). I spoke to a repair technician in my local area, and he was quite certain that my modem had been damaged (likely burned) from the unsupported ROM installation. He was very familiar with such a scenario. It means you have to replace your phone if you want to be able to use your SIM card, make calls, use data, etc..

The modem consists of small transistors (radio, and other communication parts). Even if you take apart your phone, you won't be able to see burn marks. The only way to be *somewhat* sure this is the case is to try recovering your EFS partition to an earlier point when your phone was working. Luckily for me, I had this. I also had a modem backup. Both failed. If all of this, and flashing stock fail, you've got a hardware issue.

This means you're out of luck if you want to send your phone in for repair; Samsung will know from that (corrupt) data in the modem that you broke your phone from flashing a custom ROM. So it doesn't matter if you triangle away or flash stock -- you're out of luck if you have a warranty. You will be charged the retail value of your phone + shipping, so you're probably better off selling your phone for parts.

It's a sad day for me, but a dawn for new days where I will make SURE that my phone's model is supported.

Let this be a cautionary tale for you as well.

Last edited:

mattlowry

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 2, 2011
Valley View, TX
After a long week of research, I believe I determined the cause of the issue: when I flashed the Slim Rom, it burned out my modem on my motherboard, as the ROM was not built for my Note variant (T889v). I spoke to a repair technician in my local area, and he was quite certain that my modem had been damaged (likely burned) from the unsupported ROM installation. He was very familiar with such a scenario. It means you have to replace your phone if you want to be able to use your SIM card, make calls, use data, etc..

The modem consists of small transistors (radio, and other communication parts). Even if you take apart your phone, you won't be able to see burn marks. The only way to be *somewhat* sure this is the case is to try recovering your EFS partition to an earlier point when your phone was working. Luckily for me, I had this. I also had a modem backup. Both failed. If all of this, and flashing stock fail, you've got a hardware issue.

This means you're out of luck if you want to send your phone in for repair; Samsung will know from that (corrupt) data in the modem that you broke your phone from flashing a custom ROM. So it doesn't matter if you triangle away or flash stock -- you're out of luck if you have a warranty. You will be charged the retail value of your phone + shipping, so you're probably better off selling your phone for parts.

It's a sad day for me, but a dawn for new days where I will make SURE that my phone's model is supported.

Let this be a cautionary tale for you as well.

why would they know? flashing the stock upgrade flashes a modem as well. could just as easy be a bad upgrade. if you don't tell them they wont know

also what slimrom did you download that did this? sorry I just reread the OP. Neither of the roms you mentioned would do that to your phone. I have flashed many roms from both of those devices and never had an issue.

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

flash the appropriate rom in recovery and tell if it works
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2554226

Last edited:

ForgottenSolstace

Dec 19, 2012
Calgary
BlackBerry Evolve X
why would they know? flashing the stock upgrade flashes a modem as well. could just as easy be a bad upgrade. if you don't tell them they wont know

also what slimrom did you download that did this? sorry I just reread the OP. Neither of the roms you mentioned would do that to your phone. I have flashed many roms from both of those devices and never had an issue.

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

flash the appropriate rom in recovery and tell if it works
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2554226

I doubt it was a bad upgrade, as I've tried everything possible to fix my phone. Recovering EFS partition, flashing stock with Kies, recovering modem, flashing the original ROM that worked earlier... nothing fixed it.

The problem occurred immediately after installing Slim. Then, any rom I installed after that did not solve my problem.

Pretty sure it's a hardware problem.