Oct 21, 2010
THREAD INDEX:
POST #1 = ROM info and download
POST #2 = How to extract a compressed file
POST #3 = Directions on flashing odin written and visual
POST #4 = TroubleShooting
POST #5 = Random post lol
POST #5 = Credits

XDA, jt1134, nor myself are responsible for modification done to your phone. This includes, bricking, exploding, spontaneous combustion, or it running away with your significant other!!!

EXTRA SPECIAL THANKS TO jt1134 FOR DEVELOPING THE FIRST VOODOO KERNEL. NOTE I WAS NOT INVOLVED WITH THE DEVELOPMENT OF THIS KERNEL.

PLEASE BE KIND THIS IS MY FIRST ROM

This Rom is SUPER ALPHA so do not tell me that you want this or that give me a chance to work on it please.
[/quote]​
[Note]

This ROM is fully Deodexed, but only Partially debloated as time goes on i will keep debloating deeper and deeper.

List of thing to do:

ED2 update
Full Deodex
Full Debloat
Black Status Bar
Dark themed Market
Dark google search
Change Colors on touchwiz theme (Work in progress but accomplished)
Remove touchwiz launcher
Replace Launcher (Launcher Pro for now)
Quickboot app (to boot into clockwork)
AOSP unlock screen (courtesy of nitsuj17)
Accurate battery mod (courtesy of nitsuj17)
Clockwork recovery (Modified by jt1134 )
Voodoo ext4 lagfix (courtesty of jt1134)
Themed Dialer
Themed Swype
Altered Beasts Themed Dock and Icons
Transparent notification pull down
Animated text notifications
Power button boot options[/note]
[INFO]THIS IS THE GOAL TO WHAT THIS ROM WILL LOOK LIKE, IT IS NOT THERE YET SO DONT ASK WHY IT DOESNT LOOK LIKE THIS PLEASE
device3.png
device2.png
device1.png

device4.png
device5.png
device6.png
[/INFO]

For those that ask if there is lag

This is still an ALPHA build so please do not be to critical, it needs alot of themeing to be done and there is more i need to put on but i think everyone will be happy with the direction this is going with. This is inludes everything Striked off the list of things to include above.

After flashing it will boot right into clockwork, press power to reboot. Clearing cache partition and Dalvik is not a bad idea but if you dont it wont hurt anything.

[tip]If you do not already have voodoo installed boot time should be 5-7 mins do not panic just be patient.[/tip]

DOWNLOAD Altered Beast voodoo+cwm here:

Code:
Altered Beast Alpha 5 (to be flashed in CWM) this does not contain a kernel but is a full system flash not a patch

Change log 6/20
Hulu (on boot, before you sign into google, go to settings privacy and make sure auto restore is not checked. Also make sure flash doesnt update)
voodoo control app
alot of themeing by gunner and myself
new tv shutdown animation that i modded up
charging fixed
aosp launcher themed up by me
Teamnew widget added
Androphile wallpapers added
icons added to /system/icons may need ES explorer or root explorer to get to them

For those of you who dont know how to use clockwork there is plenty of info on this site, otherwise wait till tonight or tomorrow and i will be opening a new altered beast thread as this one is cluttered[/code][/CODE]

Change log: 5/27
Clock fixed
Voice input fixed
Partially themed
Flying windows added

Change log:5/26

Calendar fixed
Visual voicemail fixed
Dark Angel USB mod made
Carbon fiber quickpanel added

Hulu Patch: (Flash with clockwork)
AlteredBeast_Hulu_patch.zip

apks :(move to /system/app folder then reboot your device)
Calendarprovider.apk
VVMservices.apk
DeskCradle.apk
GoogleCalendarsyncAdapter.apk To fix Calendar problems

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Extracting a compressed file (ex. zip or rar)

1.) Download and install Winrar HERE

2.) Locate the compressed file you would like to extract
1-2.png

3.)Right mouse click on the file icon a drop down menu will appear , select Extract Here
2-1.png

4.) You will then see a progress pop up window that will appear then when completed will close itself
3-2.png

5.)This will leave an extracted file in the destination folder
4-1.png

Congrats you have successfully extracted the compressed file it is now ready for use:D

Reactions: thebum2323

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
To install ODIN packages on your device
1.Download and install drivers on your computer HERE
2. Next you will need to download the Altered Beast zip file from post #1 which will be extracted and placed in the PDA section of ODIN:
3.) You will need to download the ODIN application tool found here ODIN or ODIN MIRROR
4) Extract the Altered Beast zip file to get the .tar.md5 file
5.) If your phone is plugged into your computer, unplug it now.
6.) If your phone is not powered down, power it down now.
7.) Remove battery from phone.
8.) Launch ODIN on PC.
9.) Plug USB cable into phone.
10.) Plug your Droid Charge into the PC via the USB cable that came with your phone.
11.) Press and hold the volume down key until (approx 3 secs) you see a gigantic yellow triangle on your phone, and your phone will be in download mode. The first thin rectangle in the upper left of the ODIN applicate should also turn yellow and identify a com port. You can now release the volume key.

12.) Click on the PDA button in ODIN

Triple check that you pushed the PDA button. Do NOT click the Phone button prior to continuing to step 13. If you choose Phone, you will have bought your Fascinate a one-way ticket to hell. :mad::mad:

13.) Find and double click on the Altered Beast .tar.md5 file you downloaded & click the Start button. (This should take approx 3 to 6mins)
14.) Phone will power down when finished.
15.) Close ODIN, remove USB cable from phone, reinsert battery, power on phone and let ROM fully load.
[TIP]It may boot into stock recovery simply Press the home button to reboot
It is also advised to wipe cache partition while you are in recovery [/TIP]

******************************************************************************************************************************************
[INFO]Visual Instructions [/INFO]
First you must download
Odin v1.3

Once odin is downloaded open it, its an executable file so when you open it you will see the following :

1tut-1.png

Once this is up, do the following
-Remove the battery from your Device
-Plug in the USB cord
-Hold down the Volume Down button until you see a big bright triangle on your screen , underneath it will say Downloading and beneath that it will say Do not turn off target
Samsung_Galaxy_S_Download_Mode.jpg

At this point you will see one of the boxes in the corner turn yellow, letting you know there is a connection, it will look like this
5tut-1.png

after you are connected you want to hit the PDA button, NEVER PHONE, phone will erase your modem and you will have trouble connecting after that at all.
2tut-1.png

when you click the PDA button a pop up will appear and you will need to select the file you would like to flash and then click open

6tut.png

now you will see the file appear in the PDA window ,, with connection made and the file in the PDA window, you may now hit Start

5tut-3.png

Once you hit start this process Should take approx. 5 mins if you are returning to stock . shouldnt take any less time than that and not much more. So dont start freaking out at min 2...(wait till min 7) lol

If you are flashing a Clockworkmod file it should take approx 7seconds.

once it is completed you should see the following window:

4tut.png

Once you have reached this screen it is safe to unplug , put your battery in and boot up..

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Trouble Shooting

Odin application displays one of the following in message box OR Odin is locking up in the middle of the process
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
Resolution
90% of problems associated with Odin are due to communication between phone and computer

• Reboot your computer
  • Redownload the odin package
  • Use USB ports in the back of the computer, if you already are use a different port
  • Make sure you did not forget to remove battery from phone (Should be out the ENTIRE process)
  • make sure Odin is the only application running and Antivirus is DISABLED
  • If you are using a laptop make sure its plugged in also find the nearest desktop and try from there
After failed flash with odin upon power up the following is depicted on the screen

SOFT BRICK
Samsung_Galaxy_S_Black_Screen_of_Death.jpg

Resolution
First off DO NOT PANIC. there is a simple solution, just remove the battery , plug the phone into the computer, press and hold volume down and it will enter download mode. Please review all the steps oulined in this thread and try and flash again

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Credits
  • AC Member drewwalton19216801 for assistance deodexing
  • AC Adviser Paul627g giving instructions on themeing
  • AC Moderator Ragnarox for overall advise on Roms
  • AC Super Moderator gbhil for assistance on pushing deodexed folders to system without clockwork
  • XDA Developer jt1134 for developing the Voodoo Kernel
  • XDA Developer nitsuj17 for aosp lockscreen mod

Last edited by a moderator:

ColSaulTigh

May 24, 2011
Lake Mary, FL
I'm game!

Downloading now.

Just wanted to give y'all a big "THANKS" for all you do!

This is the first time I've flashed a ROM in a long time. SO far, it's been fun - let's see what this one does!

EDIT #1

WooHoo!

After rebooting, it booted into recovery mode (Red Text), so I just rebooted, and it went to the "Red Eye", and about 2 minutes later, we're golden!

BTW, the boot animation is still 'glitchy'. Could this be from my original flashing of v4 Kernel?

EDIT #2

Looks like email is missing....no ability to add either POP email or Exchange email, unless I'm missing something.

Last edited:

Grillrd

Aug 19, 2010
Pennsylvania
Thank you for the ROM :) ...loaded up perfectly. Are you planning on keeping the background image for the notification pull down or going with a solid color/transparent?

Reactions: Mig1234

teddykgb715

Jun 9, 2010
UPDATE: nevermind, found the solution in the thread on androidcentral.

Thanks!

Ok, the rom booted up great. But I'm having calendar problems. I downloaded both the .apks. The calendarsync installed fine, but my accounts say sync is experiencing problems and will be back shortly. So I tried to install the calendarprovider and it won't install.

Help??

Thanks!

Last edited:

mylasthope

Jul 16, 2008
UPDATE: nevermind, found the solution in the thread on androidcentral.

Thanks!

Ok, the rom booted up great. But I'm having calendar problems. I downloaded both the .apks. The calendarsync installed fine, but my accounts say sync is experiencing problems and will be back shortly. So I tried to install the calendarprovider and it won't install.

Help??

Thanks!

Appears to be working just fine for me. Did you move both apks to system/app and reboot?

yyhd

Apr 2, 2011
California
Wow, this ROM looks amazing! Seriously cannot wait to see how it progresses.

Last edited:

nvikram

Feb 6, 2010
Keep up the great work! Followed your instructions and everything is going great. I'm about to download those apks and put them in the place to fix calendar.

Z51

Nov 28, 2006
Im using this rom and dont have the calender bug. Only.bug ive seen so far is when deleting a contact it erases it then force closes on me. But it still does its job so its all good

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA Premium App

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Im using this rom and dont have the calender bug. Only.bug ive seen so far is when deleting a contact it erases it then force closes on me. But it still does its job so its all good

can you give me the permissions for
calendarprovider.apk
googlecalendarsync.apk

and if you also have the VVM problem permissions for that aswell

nvikram

Feb 6, 2010

For some reason, I can't even access the Calendar on my phone. It's not even in the app launcher or anything like that. The widget still works, but even from the widget, I can't open the calendar. Any ideas?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
For some reason, I can't even access the Calendar on my phone. It's not even in the app launcher or anything like that. The widget still works, but even from the widget, I can't open the calendar. Any ideas?

go to the OP download the 2 calendar apk and then use root explorer or another manager to move it to /system/app, then reboot the phone let me know if it works

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THREAD INDEX:
    POST #1 = ROM info and download
    POST #2 = How to extract a compressed file
    POST #3 = Directions on flashing odin written and visual
    POST #4 = TroubleShooting
    POST #5 = Random post lol
    POST #5 = Credits

XDA, jt1134, nor myself are responsible for modification done to your phone. This includes, bricking, exploding, spontaneous combustion, or it running away with your significant other!!!

EXTRA SPECIAL THANKS TO jt1134 FOR DEVELOPING THE FIRST VOODOO KERNEL. NOTE I WAS NOT INVOLVED WITH THE DEVELOPMENT OF THIS KERNEL.

PLEASE BE KIND THIS IS MY FIRST ROM

This Rom is SUPER ALPHA so do not tell me that you want this or that give me a chance to work on it please.
    [/quote]​
    [Note]

This ROM is fully Deodexed, but only Partially debloated as time goes on i will keep debloating deeper and deeper.

List of thing to do:

ED2 update
    Full Deodex
    Full Debloat
    Black Status Bar
    Dark themed Market
    Dark google search
    Change Colors on touchwiz theme (Work in progress but accomplished)
    Remove touchwiz launcher
    Replace Launcher (Launcher Pro for now)
    Quickboot app (to boot into clockwork)
    AOSP unlock screen (courtesy of nitsuj17)
    Accurate battery mod (courtesy of nitsuj17)
    Clockwork recovery (Modified by jt1134 )
    Voodoo ext4 lagfix (courtesty of jt1134)
    Themed Dialer
    Themed Swype
    Altered Beasts Themed Dock and Icons
    Transparent notification pull down
    Animated text notifications
    Power button boot options[/note]
    [INFO]THIS IS THE GOAL TO WHAT THIS ROM WILL LOOK LIKE, IT IS NOT THERE YET SO DONT ASK WHY IT DOESNT LOOK LIKE THIS PLEASE
    device3.png
    device2.png
    device1.png

device4.png
    device5.png
    device6.png
    [/INFO]

For those that ask if there is lag

This is still an ALPHA build so please do not be to critical, it needs alot of themeing to be done and there is more i need to put on but i think everyone will be happy with the direction this is going with. This is inludes everything Striked off the list of things to include above.

After flashing it will boot right into clockwork, press power to reboot. Clearing cache partition and Dalvik is not a bad idea but if you dont it wont hurt anything.

[tip]If you do not already have voodoo installed boot time should be 5-7 mins do not panic just be patient.[/tip]

DOWNLOAD Altered Beast voodoo+cwm here:

Code:
    Altered Beast Alpha 5 (to be flashed in CWM) this does not contain a kernel but is a full system flash not a patch

Change log 6/20
    Hulu (on boot, before you sign into google, go to settings privacy and make sure auto restore is not checked. Also make sure flash doesnt update)
    voodoo control app
    alot of themeing by gunner and myself
    new tv shutdown animation that i modded up
    charging fixed
    aosp launcher themed up by me
    Teamnew widget added
    Androphile wallpapers added
    icons added to /system/icons may need ES explorer or root explorer to get to them

For those of you who dont know how to use clockwork there is plenty of info on this site, otherwise wait till tonight or tomorrow and i will be opening a new altered beast thread as this one is cluttered[/code][/CODE]

Change log: 5/27
    Clock fixed
    Voice input fixed
    Partially themed
    Flying windows added

Change log:5/26

Calendar fixed
    Visual voicemail fixed
    Dark Angel USB mod made
    Carbon fiber quickpanel added

Hulu Patch: (Flash with clockwork)
    AlteredBeast_Hulu_patch.zip

apks :(move to /system/app folder then reboot your device)
    Calendarprovider.apk
    VVMservices.apk
    DeskCradle.apk
    GoogleCalendarsyncAdapter.apk To fix Calendar problems
    To install ODIN packages on your device
    1.Download and install drivers on your computer HERE
    2. Next you will need to download the Altered Beast zip file from post #1 which will be extracted and placed in the PDA section of ODIN:
    3.) You will need to download the ODIN application tool found here ODIN or ODIN MIRROR
    4) Extract the Altered Beast zip file to get the .tar.md5 file
    5.) If your phone is plugged into your computer, unplug it now.
    6.) If your phone is not powered down, power it down now.
    7.) Remove battery from phone.
    8.) Launch ODIN on PC.
    9.) Plug USB cable into phone.
    10.) Plug your Droid Charge into the PC via the USB cable that came with your phone.
    11.) Press and hold the volume down key until (approx 3 secs) you see a gigantic yellow triangle on your phone, and your phone will be in download mode. The first thin rectangle in the upper left of the ODIN applicate should also turn yellow and identify a com port. You can now release the volume key.

12.) Click on the PDA button in ODIN

Triple check that you pushed the PDA button. Do NOT click the Phone button prior to continuing to step 13. If you choose Phone, you will have bought your Fascinate a one-way ticket to hell. :mad::mad:

13.) Find and double click on the Altered Beast .tar.md5 file you downloaded & click the Start button. (This should take approx 3 to 6mins)
    14.) Phone will power down when finished.
    15.) Close ODIN, remove USB cable from phone, reinsert battery, power on phone and let ROM fully load.
    [TIP]It may boot into stock recovery simply Press the home button to reboot
    It is also advised to wipe cache partition while you are in recovery [/TIP]

******************************************************************************************************************************************
    [INFO]Visual Instructions [/INFO]
    First you must download
    Odin v1.3

Once odin is downloaded open it, its an executable file so when you open it you will see the following :

1tut-1.png

Once this is up, do the following
    -Remove the battery from your Device
    -Plug in the USB cord
    -Hold down the Volume Down button until you see a big bright triangle on your screen , underneath it will say Downloading and beneath that it will say Do not turn off target
    Samsung_Galaxy_S_Download_Mode.jpg

At this point you will see one of the boxes in the corner turn yellow, letting you know there is a connection, it will look like this
    5tut-1.png

after you are connected you want to hit the PDA button, NEVER PHONE, phone will erase your modem and you will have trouble connecting after that at all.
    2tut-1.png

when you click the PDA button a pop up will appear and you will need to select the file you would like to flash and then click open

6tut.png

now you will see the file appear in the PDA window ,, with connection made and the file in the PDA window, you may now hit Start

5tut-3.png

Once you hit start this process Should take approx. 5 mins if you are returning to stock . shouldnt take any less time than that and not much more. So dont start freaking out at min 2...(wait till min 7) lol

If you are flashing a Clockworkmod file it should take approx 7seconds.

once it is completed you should see the following window:

4tut.png

Once you have reached this screen it is safe to unplug , put your battery in and boot up..
    Trouble Shooting

Odin application displays one of the following in message box OR Odin is locking up in the middle of the process
    <OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)
    <OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
    Resolution
    90% of problems associated with Odin are due to communication between phone and computer

• Reboot your computer
    • Redownload the odin package
    • Use USB ports in the back of the computer, if you already are use a different port
    • Make sure you did not forget to remove battery from phone (Should be out the ENTIRE process)
    • make sure Odin is the only application running and Antivirus is DISABLED
    • If you are using a laptop make sure its plugged in also find the nearest desktop and try from there
    ****************************************************************************
    After failed flash with odin upon power up the following is depicted on the screen

SOFT BRICK
    Samsung_Galaxy_S_Black_Screen_of_Death.jpg

Resolution
    First off DO NOT PANIC. there is a simple solution, just remove the battery , plug the phone into the computer, press and hold volume down and it will enter download mode. Please review all the steps oulined in this thread and try and flash again
    There is an updated version over in AC, when i get a chance i will repost it here but i just got to work,
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/cha...beast-alpha-v2-voodoo-clockwork-ed2-root.html

i changed the background in the panel to Carbon fiber but its still dark you may or may not like it Calculator is back but i accidently removed the clock so ill have to address that.

oh and be sure to check out the dark angel USB mount
    how do you get all 4 of the icons on the bottom? I only got the two and can't seem to get the other two to do down by three at bottom?

I believe this is what I call a dead build... no longer supported...try gummycharge Fe 1.91 it rocks

SENT FROM THE DOG POUND