[Q] Nexus 7 2013 - in car installation: many doubts and.. what is the best ROM?

Search This thread

JebyDroid

Oct 11, 2010
Goodmorning,

I'm planning to mount my Nexus 7 2013 WiFi on a 2 din frame on a mazda MX5. I want to completely remove the current head unit and use the nexus 7 2013 for:

- Car diagnostic, via WiFi OBD2 adaptor (see this kickstarter campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obdsol/obdlink-mx-wifi-a-wireless-gateway-to-vehicle-obd)
- FM RDS
- GPS Navigation
- Media player

I mean.. the usual stuff! I'm very noob, but I understand that this project involves the use (at least) of a USB DAC, a USB FM receiver (or even DVB if needed), a USB 3G modem, and the proper ROM to manage all this.
I've read a lot of car installations, but they usually refers to the Nexus 7 and the Timur's rom that is not available for the 2013. So, here is the list of questions:

- what is the preferred combination of kernel/rom to accomplish the Nexus 7 2013 car installation properly?
* I don't need the OTG + charging because I'm going to use a Qi charger, but I do need OTG attached devices to work properly, also fast boot would be nice :)
* I want to edit the softkey area with shortcut to app, is that possible? and with wich ROM?
- can I use my Galaxy Nexus as 3G modem in USB tethering configuration? I need the connection to be on the USB since I'm using the WiFi for OTG diagnositc
- How to turn on the Nexus 7? I mean, the power button will be behind the 2DIN panel, is there a ROM that turn on the device automatically when it is connected to the power?

In one single question: what is the best ROM for the in car installation of a Nexus 7 2013?

Thank you for every answer!

Reactions: Samuel Holland

adit9989

Jul 9, 2008
Goodmorning,

I'm planning to mount my Nexus 7 2013 WiFi on a 2 din frame on a mazda MX5. I want to completely remove the current head unit and use the nexus 7 2013 for:

- Car diagnostic, via WiFi OBD2 adaptor (see this kickstarter campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obdsol/obdlink-mx-wifi-a-wireless-gateway-to-vehicle-obd)
- FM RDS
- GPS Navigation
- Media player

I mean.. the usual stuff! I'm very noob, but I understand that this project involves the use (at least) of a USB DAC, a USB FM receiver (or even DVB if needed), a USB 3G modem, and the proper ROM to manage all this.
I've read a lot of car installations, but they usually refers to the Nexus 7 and the Timur's rom that is not available for the 2013. So, here is the list of questions:

- what is the preferred combination of kernel/rom to accomplish the Nexus 7 2013 car installation properly?
* I don't need the OTG + charging because I'm going to use a Qi charger, but I do need OTG attached devices to work properly, also fast boot would be nice :)
* I want to edit the softkey area with shortcut to app, is that possible? and with wich ROM?
- can I use my Galaxy Nexus as 3G modem in USB tethering configuration? I need the connection to be on the USB since I'm using the WiFi for OTG diagnositc
- How to turn on the Nexus 7? I mean, the power button will be behind the 2DIN panel, is there a ROM that turn on the device automatically when it is connected to the power?

In one single question: what is the best ROM for the in car installation of a Nexus 7 2013?

If you have to ask this questions, better don't even start. Do this only if you know very well what you are doing, have a lot of time and passion (so it's a hobby). If you want a functional Android head unit for your car search eBay, Aliexpress and other sites you will find plug-in models with proper faceplate including hard buttons and even CAN bus for steering wheel controls if your car has this. There are threads in this forum about some of more popular units (like Ouku and S150 for example; They come as standard general units and as car specific kits).

If you still want to do it , just a tip, your Qi charger probably will not work. Even a lot of USB chargers out there (even ones which say they provide 2.1 A) do not keep the unit charges (will slowly discharge when using GPS). Did you really see this solution working for a car install or just think it will work ?

Anyway, this is just one of the many other problems you will face. Good luck.

rans0m00

Oct 11, 2012
Goodmorning,

- FM RDS
- GPS Navigation
- Media player

Planning on doing the same in my 2010 Honda Fit. An answer for the rom... same as always there is not a "best" rom. Its all about what you prefer. I am going to stay as close to stock as possible because that is what I like. I will be doing some searches to find which kernel/rom supports usb audio out... beyond that should just be preference. Current plan is to browse xda and see if a slimport usb to hdmi is an option then hdmi to 5.1 channels of rca connectors then out to the amps.

schlager

Mar 25, 2013
Nuremberg
Goodmorning,

- FM RDS
- GPS Navigation
- Media player

i am using bruce2728's rom, with doubletap to wake. currently installing it on a 2010 Mazda 3.

scosche double din mount (dremeled, then silicone glued the tablet, glue held up against air comfort system)
will use the http://canb.us, although haven't wired it up yet
steering wheel controls wired using Joycon Exr
Noxon DAB stick with sdr touch (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=marto.androsdr2&hl=en)
usb audio with Behringer UCA202
Tasker (app) to shutdown when power is lost (tested with pc, but need to check with otg cable)
spotify premium
onboard gps works well since there's only plastic and glass above the tablet

got pics but will link once have some writeup somewhere...

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

there is a fastboot command to get the tablet to auto power up when power is applied.

i believe bruce2728's rom has usb 3g stick support. tested it briefly but then got a Wifi based LTE receiver which I could take out of the car too. Charges just like a phone.

Reactions: JebyDroid

JebyDroid

Oct 11, 2010
i am using bruce2728's rom, with doubletap to wake. currently installing it on a 2010 Mazda 3.

scosche double din mount (dremeled, then silicone glued the tablet, glue held up against air comfort system)
Noxon DAB stick with sdr touch (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=marto.androsdr2&hl=en)
Tasker (app) to shutdown when power is lost (tested with pc, but need to check with otg cable)
spotify premium

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

there is a fastboot command to get the tablet to auto power up when power is applied.

i believe bruce2728's rom has usb 3g stick support. tested it briefly but then got a Wifi based LTE receiver which I could take out of the car too. Charges just like a phone.

Thank you very much this help a lot!!! Do you use a powered USB hub?

schlager

Mar 25, 2013
Nuremberg
Thank you very much this help a lot!!! Do you use a powered USB hub?

yes, i am using two car chargers in parallel from the battery. one to power the hub and one to power the tablet. theoretically i need one, but that just reduces the load on the cigarette lighter chargers so they last longer.

i also added an inline 7.5A fuse for everything i am adding. additionally safety just cuz i think i know it all ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Goodmorning,

- FM RDS
    - GPS Navigation
    - Media player

Goodmorning,

- FM RDS
    - GPS Navigation
    - Media player

spotify premium