[Q] Unable to use Knox Apps after root.

Search This thread

knaider

Mar 11, 2014
Hello everyone, newbie here.

I rooted my Note 3 a while back and tripped my Knox counter to 0x1. I have a lot of files I had stored in Knox and currently unable to access the Knox app at all.

Is there anyway I could recover or backup these files in a way?

I previously emailed samsung and they responded with a definitive NO.

Please help!

f_u_006

Jun 1, 2013

I rooted my Note 3 a while back and tripped my Knox counter to 0x1. I have a lot of files I had stored in Knox and currently unable to access the Knox app at all.

Please help!
Knox is disabled when you modify or root your device!
Titanium backup your knox, reset or flash new firmware then root again and restore knox.
Or... Google it for millions of solutions....

nlatifolia

Jan 6, 2014

Please help!

Crap, seriously that is a disaster.

Knox is an encrypted container, everything inside it is encrypted with special private key set up first time you use Knox. The security warranty of Knox is that every attempt to modify/tamper the phone even if they are successful SHOULD NOT be able to read what inside Knox, thus those attempts will result in deletion of such private key and also mark it Knox 0x1.

Private key will be generated new if Knox can be re-establish, for that u need to contact Samsung Center, even with new private key NO ONE will ever be able to recover the old data (thus new key for new data).

The premise is that no one on earth should be able to do recover corrupted Knox otherwise Knox will never get that certificate to be used on Enterprise business in US.

Losing that private key is the same as complete wipe out of your data, in other words it is there in encrypted bits but it is no longer readable by anyone on earth.

Reactions: antique_sonic

knaider

Mar 11, 2014
Knox is disabled when you modify or root your device!
Titanium backup your knox, reset or flash new firmware then root again and restore knox.
Or... Google it for millions of solutions....

Are you positive this would work? I have tried to google but haven't found ONE single article about this.

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
Knox security container is disabled FOREVER once you root your device...
As you can gain root access then you can also, theoretically, gain access to the knox container. You still have Knox floating around like a bad smell telling you that apps are trying to access root directory and stopping this from happening but it is now a useless app...

Reactions: Mixelangel

knaider

Mar 11, 2014
As you can gain root access then you can also, theoretically, gain access to the knox container. You still have Knox floating around like a bad smell telling you that apps are trying to access root directory and stopping this from happening but it is now a useless app...

So there's absolutely nothing i can do?

antique_sonic

Aug 16, 2009
Corner of the earth

Please help!

I'm fairly sure there was a warning about this in the Root threads...

Send From My Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005 Using Tapatalk

Yes. it is stated (assuming OP using CF-autoroot, because he never wrote which method he used to root his device).

From CF-Autoroot OP :
"The KNOX warranty status change is permanent, and a service center may deny warranty based on this flag - even if the other flags are reset correctly. The KNOX flag being tripped may also prevent certain Samsung KNOX features from working (enterprise security features). If this is something you care about, use a root method not based on custom kernels or recoveries, like a modified system partition. These are possible, but I don't personally make them, so look around!"

Nov 28, 2011
I have same problem too after root. So if i unroot, can i make Knox working again? I have ~10GB personal data in it. I have to recover them.
There should be a way...

P.S : Knox app still installed. Still has a shortcut on notification bar. When i access it flashes up and returning back. I upgraded from Knox v1 to v2, one or two week ago. Old knox app still exits in app manager and appdrawer. But cant access old one alrady. AppMonster backed up install files. Tried to install again. It was succesful. But still same...
4fLG9dc.jpg

And containers still in appmanager...
2pmlNhD.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2011
It's about flash counter i guess...

https://www.samsungknox.com/en/blog...ox-enabled-devices-and-knox-warranty-void-bit

There are two possible scenarios:
A new KNOX container can no longer be created on such a device
The data encrypted and stored in an existing KNOX container can no longer be retrieved
Everything else outside the container should work just as before.

Can i reset that counter? On download mode knox warranty count is 1. If i do that maybe it'll wotk again. I never loose my hope ^_^

Spere

Aug 7, 2013
It's about flash counter i guess...

https://www.samsungknox.com/en/blog...ox-enabled-devices-and-knox-warranty-void-bit

Can i reset that counter? On download mode knox warranty count is 1. If i do that maybe it'll wotk again. I never loose my hope ^_^

On Snapdragon devices there is no way to reset knox counter, at least yet, but propably will never be. About Exynos I can't say since I don't own any.

When Knox Warranty Void is 0x1, you can't use Knox or recover data thats been there EVER.

Knox works just like it should in this case. You people should read, read, and read much more before you do anything with your devices, at least if you really don't know what you are doing.

maxilick

Jun 27, 2008
First thing I did when I purchased my phone was root and uninstall bloatware, that included Knox.

Sent from my U30GT 2 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

First thing I did when I purchased my phone was root and uninstall bloatware, that included Knox. I'll never have the same problem as the op.

Nov 28, 2011
On Snapdragon devices there is no way to reset knox counter, at least yet, but propably will never be. About Exynos I can't say since I don't own any.

When Knox Warranty Void is 0x1, you can't use Knox or recover data thats been there EVER.

Knox works just like it should in this case. You people should read, read, and read much more before you do anything with your devices, at least if you really don't know what you are doing.

Thanks... I have Note 3 with Exynos. I should search more than...

Nov 28, 2011
Since you are running on Exynos, read these two posts if they can help you:

Post 1 | Post 2

I still think that no matter what you do, you can't restore content from "locked" KNOX container.

It's all about modified system. I thought if i reset that counter without wipe, i can use it again... I did. Resetted counter. But still same. Followed that guide. System now untouched. All Knox data has gone... Nothing to do. I won't use it anymore... Thanks guys.

felixfound

Jan 24, 2017
If you performed a KNOX backup from WITHIN the KNOX container, then you can restore that to another KNOX-compatible phone that DOES NOT have the KNOX counter at 0x1. This is the ONLY way to get KNOX data back.

The filename for a KNOX backup will be called KnoxBackup_KNOX.zip and will be stored on the phone or external storage - do a search for the filename.

That is it...end of story.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Please help!

Crap, seriously that is a disaster.

Knox is an encrypted container, everything inside it is encrypted with special private key set up first time you use Knox. The security warranty of Knox is that every attempt to modify/tamper the phone even if they are successful SHOULD NOT be able to read what inside Knox, thus those attempts will result in deletion of such private key and also mark it Knox 0x1.

Private key will be generated new if Knox can be re-establish, for that u need to contact Samsung Center, even with new private key NO ONE will ever be able to recover the old data (thus new key for new data).

The premise is that no one on earth should be able to do recover corrupted Knox otherwise Knox will never get that certificate to be used on Enterprise business in US.

Losing that private key is the same as complete wipe out of your data, in other words it is there in encrypted bits but it is no longer readable by anyone on earth.