[Q] Help - rooted SCH-I545 updated to KitKat - lost root.

Search This thread

Blue Sun

Dec 5, 2011
Boothwyn
leftbankblog.org
icon9.gif
Oops, rooted I-545 running 4.3 was accidently updated to KitKat 4.4.2 and I lost root HELP!
I am starting a new thread because I think my message got lost in a 45-page thread and this is urgent.

My original S4 had the updating software renamed so that I wouldn't even be notified about updates, but I had to get a warranty replacement. I rooted it, but forgot to turn of the ability to update. Last week, while I was undergoing surgery for a kidney stone, my wife was using the phone in the waiting room. She saw a message that an update was ready and, since her S3 is totally stock and she always updates, she hit the ok button. That night, I discovered I was no longer rooted and that KitKat 4.4.2 was the new O/S.

I am very dependent on functionality that will only run rooted, so I really need to clear this up. For example, I use RCB as my phone and text blocker and it requires root to run. It's big advantage is that it does this all silently before the call bubbles up to where non-rooted call-blockers do a pickup and hangup (with an annoying fragment of a ring each time). Since I'm unable to run RCB or a root-level file browser to recover the logs of blocked numbers to use (temporarily, I hope) in something like Mr. Number.

Is there anything I can do to either root under KitKat, or back down my version of Android to 4.3 and then re-root the standard way?

Blue Sun

"Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that’s creativity."
-- Charles Mingus

T

Techguy2002

This does not help him because he lost root & wants to get it back. This instructional thread assumes root has been maintained. Currently, there is no root solution for the 4.4.2 version. Apparently, patience is the only solution.

Actually it should because you can downgrade partially back to MK2 and then root using saferoot and then follow the top instructions to go back to fnc5 and it works because I have done it. If you havent done it you shouldnt comment.

OffcerClancy

Jun 6, 2011

mcbeat257

May 8, 2014
Fairfax
Google Pixel 6 Pro

icon9.gif
Oops, rooted I-545 running 4.3 was accidently updated to KitKat 4.4.2 and I lost root HELP!
I am starting a new thread because I think my message got lost in a 45-page thread and this is urgent.

My original S4 had the updating software renamed so that I wouldn't even be notified about updates, but I had to get a warranty replacement. I rooted it, but forgot to turn of the ability to update. Last week, while I was undergoing surgery for a kidney stone, my wife was using the phone in the waiting room. She saw a message that an update was ready and, since her S3 is totally stock and she always updates, she hit the ok button. That night, I discovered I was no longer rooted and that KitKat 4.4.2 was the new O/S.

I am very dependent on functionality that will only run rooted, so I really need to clear this up. For example, I use RCB as my phone and text blocker and it requires root to run. It's big advantage is that it does this all silently before the call bubbles up to where non-rooted call-blockers do a pickup and hangup (with an annoying fragment of a ring each time). Since I'm unable to run RCB or a root-level file browser to recover the logs of blocked numbers to use (temporarily, I hope) in something like Mr. Number.

Is there anything I can do to either root under KitKat, or back down my version of Android to 4.3 and then re-root the standard way?

Blue Sun

"Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that’s creativity."
-- Charles Mingus

Okay so the way to do this is simple: You will need to factory reset to stock. This will wipe all of your data, but if you do this correctly with Odin, then you will be surprised with how it works.

Use this thread to do a full or no wipe: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2578209"]http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2578209

Once you do that, you have to go through the processes and go to settings>phone info>software update and update your system software.
After that, you can re-root your device through this thread: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/root-galaxy-s4-snapdragon-600-exynos-5-android-4-3-without-warranty-void-1431730

Your welcome.;)

richievtown

May 6, 2014
Do I neet root to use Surges downgrade??

I upgraded to leaked kitkat nc2 and lost root of course..I want to downgrade with Surges method back to mk2..does his downgrade process require root to downgrade?? First post.... Thanx..