[ROM][4.4.4][Version 1]Android-L Themed Omega ROM (Screenshots updated)

Search This thread

rharshit

Jul 17, 2012
Mumbai
@rhar****
First... great work!
i will test your rom in my old p500
thanks again
the play store doesn't work using the minimal gapps for cm11

Use this gapps package.
If you haven't added anything in the system, you need not trim the ROM. Its compatible with the original ROM size with just a few kb's left after gapps installation.
One more thing, its still a beta version. Its pretty stable, but still... so if it still doesn't work. wait for stable one with gapps preinstalled

Dovidhalevi

Jun 26, 2012
Use this gapps package.
If you haven't added anything in the system, you need not trim the ROM. Its compatible with the original ROM size with just a few kb's left after gapps installation.
One more thing, its still a beta version. Its pretty stable, but still... so if it still doesn't work. wait for stable one with gapps preinstalled

A few kb's left is not enough. Some apps, including link2sd, possibly Play?, and some hardware (home button?) will fail at this. A few meg is better. if not necessary.

rharshit

Jul 17, 2012
Mumbai
A few kb's left is not enough. Some apps, including link2sd, possibly Play?, and some hardware (home button?) will fail at this. A few meg is better. if not necessary.

Those few kb's are ample for link2sd and proper hardware buttons (including modded)

I myself use both of them. Plus i have even pushed DSP Manager to system and still 200 kb left.
Want even more, trim it

Sent from my LG-P500 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1399305038360.jpg
    1399305038360.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 106
Reactions: alonsoch

rharshit

Jul 17, 2012
Mumbai
What's mean trim??

Enviado desde mi Moto G mediante Tapatalk

Remove unwanted things from ROM to get more space in system. Eg. unwanted apps, ringtones, unused language packs, even the bootanimation if needed. You can also remove apps like Gallery and Camera and install it as a user app.
But its not needed in beta 5 even for gapps

Reactions: alonsoch

Dovidhalevi

Jun 26, 2012
Those few kb's are ample for link2sd and proper hardware buttons (including modded)

I myself use both of them. Plus i have even pushed DSP Manager to system and still 200 kb left.
Want even more, trim it

200kb is not a few kb's. I was told (I keep my own copy around anyway) that link2sd needs 330kb to form its mount script. Cm-10 users having problems with hardware keys have had this blamed on too little system space. I myself do not run into these problems because I maintain much more system space, more to enable experimentation than because all of it is necessary. I ran ICS for a long time with no more than 3 meg without ever a problem.

There is stuff being kept in all these ROMs for some reason no longer valid. That usr/srec folder, no small item, is an example. I symlink that to a copy on sdext but when I forgot to do so, noticed no difference. Calendar is installed from Play. No earthly need for a simple calculator on system but small enough. Cameras and Gallery are user apps. Using Google Search (side-loaded as user app) so QuickSearchBox is off. Apollo, etc. CM's filemanager works fine as a user app. Non-Latin fonts have been removed by armv6 dev team (against my judgement--I keep them). Ringtones can sit anywhere and Android will find them so no need for a zillion of them on system. Myabe fonts as well?

rharshit

Jul 17, 2012
Mumbai
200kb is not a few kb's. I was told (I keep my own copy around anyway) that link2sd needs 330kb to form its mount script. Cm-10 users having problems with hardware keys have had this blamed on too little system space. I myself do not run into these problems because I maintain much more system space, more to enable experimentation than because all of it is necessary. I ran ICS for a long time with no more than 3 meg without ever a problem.

There is stuff being kept in all these ROMs for some reason no longer valid. That usr/srec folder, no small item, is an example. I symlink that to a copy on sdext but when I forgot to do so, noticed no difference. Calendar is installed from Play. No earthly need for a simple calculator on system but small enough. Cameras and Gallery are user apps. Using Google Search (side-loaded as user app) so QuickSearchBox is off. Apollo, etc. CM's filemanager works fine as a user app. Non-Latin fonts have been removed by armv6 dev team (against my judgement--I keep them). Ringtones can sit anywhere and Android will find them so no need for a zillion of them on system. Myabe fonts as well?

That's the perfect trimming. I too used to do the same. Why don't you make a thread on this topic? It'll be really useful for many users.
BTW, you shouldn't remove the fonts. As some things (like apps, sites, etc) may need it. And as far as alarm tones and ringtones are concerned, you can make folders named alarm and ringtones, respectively, in sdcard and place tones there. It saves a lot of space.

Dovidhalevi

Jun 26, 2012
That's the perfect trimming. I too used to do the same. Why don't you make a thread on this topic? It'll be really useful for many users.
BTW, you shouldn't remove the fonts. As some things (like apps, sites, etc) may need it. And as far as alarm tones and ringtones are concerned, you can make folders named alarm and ringtones, respectively, in sdcard and place tones there. It saves a lot of space.

Idea, maybe will do this. Here 'tis: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2742785

I do not remove fonts. The non-Latins were removed against my judgement. However, there must be some way of "installing" user-fonts similar to the ringtones and such.

Last edited:

xu3sno

Jun 12, 2012
UTC +11
First of all, thanks to @rhar**** for the great ROM even in beta state. :cool:
Just installed the rom and here is my experience after using it for quite a while:
Trimming ROM before flashing and tweaking build.prop (davik.vm.dexopt-data-only=0 and qemu.hw.mainkeys=0) failed. System booted with errors notifications.
Trimmed the ROM after flashing. It works just fine, got ca. 8MB in /system, quite enough to install Link2SD. Since dalvik-cache failed to move using the above script, then it's moved to /cache manually. After installing apps with large size such as, dropbox, drive, evernote, hangout, whatsapp, got 120MB in internal (/data). Link2SD works out of the box. :cool:
Installed root.zip (super user) prepared by rhars***, in order to get root apps work.
No need to install gapps. Look into /system/priv-app. Google*.apk is included but google play. Just installed gmscore.apk (Google play services), and everything related to Google services work just fine.

WiFi, portable wifi hotspot works as it should be.
USB not works. :( Need soft power menu (just tap clock in status bar) instead of pressing the power button.

Sent from my LG-P500 using XDA Free mobile app

Attachments

• 1399384264554.jpg
    1399384264554.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 105
  • 1399384280402.jpg
    1399384280402.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 1399384297570.jpg
    1399384297570.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 1399384315867.jpg
    1399384315867.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

rharshit

Jul 17, 2012
Mumbai
Just installed the rom and here is my experience after using it for quite a while:
Trimming ROM before flashing and tweaking build.prop (davik.vm.dexopt-data-only=0 and qemu.hw.mainkeys=0) failed. System booted with errors notifications.
Trimmed the ROM after flashing. It works just fine, got ca. 8MB in /system, quite enough to install Link2SD. Since dalvik-cache failed to move using the above script, then it's moved to /cache manually. After installing apps with large size such as, dropbox, drive, evernote, hangout, whatsapp, got 120MB in internal (/data). Link2SD works out of the box. :cool:
Installed root.zip (super user) prepared by rhars***, in order to get root apps work.
No need to install gapps. Look into /system/priv-app. Google*.apk is included but google play. Just installed gmscore.apk (Google play services), and everything related to Google services work just fine.

WiFi, portable wifi hotspot works as it should be.
USB not works. :( Need soft power menu (just tap clock in status bar) instead of pressing the power button.

Sent from my LG-P500 using XDA Free mobile app

First of all, Thanks for the review.
System should not have been booted with errors notifications. Weird
USB works fine, you just need a workaround to enable MTP or Mass Storage mode

In termial Type the following
su
setprop persist.sys.usb.config mass_storage,adb
I can't configure statusbar clock to act as power button. Instead, in Quick settings, there's a tile "Sleep". It does the same thing. Or use mod keys

who is share link GAPPS?

You can get gapps from here

Last edited:
Reactions: xu3sno

Dovidhalevi

Jun 26, 2012

Yeah. Unfortunately (or not), Omni will not work with dexopt-data-only=0. Boots up with numerous android.phone failures. Tried on two different occasions. Lucky to get back to recovery. Cm-11 flashers have had better luck with this.

This mod would give me enough data space left to avoid the link2sd "Achilles heel." To get around this, I need to remove a bunch of larger dex'd apps and then restore them after flashes. So I am reluctant to flash very often.

Moving the system dexes to cache manually is an option but that must be redone with each upgrade. Additionally, this mod, from what I have read, is not reallly desirable because can leave too little headroom on /cache, lead to problems. But if it does work without a hitch, go with it.

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

I see no GooglePlay or Phonesky or anything like that on priv-app. You must have flashed them yourself. (Actually I remove the system format from the updater script so I will still have all this stuff around! I never reflashed gapps on all my ICS upgrades.)

8MB will do you just fine. More than enough. First time in SuperSU UI, create the script. Root will be be persistant, bootup option on all reflashes.

I did the thing for USB once on omni and never had to repeat it. Unlike cm-11, "usb storage" and debugging are available simultaneously.

How is version doing on the battery?

Reactions: xu3sno

Dovidhalevi

Jun 26, 2012
Flashed beta-5 ROM. Besides spending half the afternoon futzing around to get link2sd symlinks and free data space back to where it was (finally succeded), boots up, runs fine. Some widget settings changed, not changeable back, minor stuff.

I found no interface for split screen. The proposed one is from omniswitch but I found nothing at all like that. There are various sidebar UIs for this, don't like them. The webOS implimentation exercised from omniswitch was supposed to be used, whatever ...

I set halo to white-list to keep it out of the way. I have floatifications set to use halo so tried that. Black screen exercising K9 mail, problem persisted once I got screen back and tapped K9 mail directly. K9 was not actually running either time, apparently. Omniswitch becomes unstable, FCing and when it comes back, has a different recent app that has not been run recently. So halo is a source of instability (or was it something else or combination?).

Meanwhile restored the backup to Feb 27 build.

Again, Halo does not belong on these ROMs because of the 0x20000 flag conflict. Minimally, give us control of which one to use and interfaces for it. I have seen postings about Omni ROMs with both split screen and floating windows (Halo style but not Halo). Maybe they combined them or split the flags, i.e. 0x20000 for Halo, 0x10000 for split or such. Xposed module XHalo is a complete floating window-manager but the ROM takes the 0x20000 flag so this will/should not work. All this, except for simplest split view interface, becomes but marginally useful on a small screen device such as ours. I nice big tablet would be another story.

rharshit

Jul 17, 2012
Mumbai
Flashed beta-5 ROM. Besides spending half the afternoon futzing around to get link2sd symlinks and free data space back to where it was (finally succeded), boots up, runs fine. Some widget settings changed, not changeable back, minor stuff.

I found no interface for split screen. The proposed one is from omniswitch but I found nothing at all like that. There are various sidebar UIs for this, don't like them. The webOS implimentation exercised from omniswitch was supposed to be used, whatever ...

I set halo to white-list to keep it out of the way. I have floatifications set to use halo so tried that. Black screen exercising K9 mail, problem persisted once I got screen back and tapped K9 mail directly. K9 was not actually running either time, apparently. Omniswitch becomes unstable, FCing and when it comes back, has a different recent app that has not been run recently. So halo is a source of instability (or was it something else or combination?).

Meanwhile restored the backup to Feb 27 build.

Again, Halo does not belong on these ROMs because of the 0x20000 flag conflict. Minimally, give us control of which one to use and interfaces for it. I have seen postings about Omni ROMs with both split screen and floating windows (Halo style but not Halo). Maybe they combined them or split the flags, i.e. 0x20000 for Halo, 0x10000 for split or such. Xposed module XHalo is a complete floating window-manager but the ROM takes the 0x20000 flag so this will/should not work. All this, except for simplest split view interface, becomes but marginally useful on a small screen device such as ours. I nice big tablet would be another story.

I'm not sure about the trimming and modifying thing you did. Maybe that caused the error

As fas as halo and split view are concerned, I'm changing split view flags because the xHalo thing also uses 0x00002000

Dovidhalevi

Jun 26, 2012
I'm not sure about the trimming and modifying thing you did. Maybe that caused the error
Could well be. I am heavily into Xposed and this itself can cause problems.
However, the exact same trimming and modifications are with the current Feb 27 build and the April 6 build I also tried. Both work 100%

As fas as halo and split view are concerned, I'm changing split view flags because the xHalo thing also uses 0x00002000
Good idea, but check how other omnirom devs have done this.

Also, UI to control these options is needed. In settings to enable each one individually, and also how splitview will be triggered. Would prefer gestures rather than yet-another-sidebar. Sidebars tend to get in the way--I am a big fan of homeflip but am using omniswitch instead, same functionality. There are two sidebars around on the threads for splitview, one allowing a choice between spitview and halo. Would rather see such functionality in omniswitch as intended, or have these sidebars do recents as well as chosen apps. Homeflip and omniswitch are both compact and effective implementations of similar functionality, good bases for this.

How might a gesture UI work? From omniswitch or sidebar or ... launcher!? click& flip to side for splitview (on that side or webOS way), squeeze to floater, expand to whole screen again. I have not seen any of the other omnis in action to see what has been implemented.

{I assume you mean regular Halo. Xhalo is an xposed module.)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey, everyone :highfive:

Screenshots:

General
    X3Ao3c1.png
    sAzHJur.png
    AyjccBc.png
    CTTqXB1.png
    cCHqNYE.png

Split screenl
    s8oVVNO.png
    o6jPQe6.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-21-19-32-56.png

Halo
    Screenshot_2014-03-19-22-21-34.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-19-22-21-44.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-19-22-21-51.png

Blur lockscreen
    kHH5qCD.png

DSB
    VHMsUcB.png
    24HEvgO.png

Downloads in next post

Kernel source: AndroidARMv6
    Downloads:

Version 1:
    Mediafire

BETA 9:
    Mediafire

BETA 8 (update):
    Google Drive

Pre-BETA 8:
    Google Drive

BETA 7.1:
    Google Drive

BETA 7:
    Mediafire

BETA 6.1:
    Mediafire

BETA 6:
    Mediafire

BETA 5:
    Mediafire

BETA 4:
    Mediafire

BETA 3:
    Mediafire

BETA 2:
    Mediafire

BETA 1:
    Mediafire
    reserved for thanks :p
    Changelog:

• Beta 9
      • A lot of layout and drawable changes (almost all)
      • Updated to latest omni
      • Added a few features
      • QS spacing removes for L kind of look
      • etc, etc...
    • Beta 8
      • Fixed scrubber
      • Android L type of recents
      • Added DateView (partial)
      • Many many layout fixes
    • pre-Beta 8
      • Android L makeover
      • Android L type Settings, StatusBar, Quick Settings, etc.
      • A few layout fixes
    • Beta 7.1
      • Updated to latest Omni
      • Updated Android to 4.4.4
      • Some layout fixes (drawable)
    • Beta 7
      • Android 4.4.3
      • New Dialer
      • Fixed Halo issue
      • etc, etc, etc...
    • Beta 6.1
      • Flash over Beta 6 ONLY
      • Fixed HALO)))
      • Fixed Split-view and HALO))) conflict with flags and intents
      • Added a a switch to choose between HALO))) and Split-view
      • Added OmegaROM PlatLogo (now multiple taps on Omega Version will bringup Omega PlatLogo)
      • Other minor fixes
    • Beta 6
      • Updated to latest Omni build
      • High-end graphics option in Performance>Advance
      • Option to add lockscreen widgets
      • Added Omega animations and platlogo (partially)
      • A few more things which I don't remember :p
    • Beta 5
      • NOTE: You need to do a clean install for this version
      • Rebased to latest OmniROM
      • ActiveDisplay (Omni feature)
      • Smoother (Thanks again to Omni)
    • Beta 4
      • Rebased to latest CyanogenMod
      • Added Emoji support
      • Compiled with Linaro 4.8
      • Changed DPI to 145 for better looks
      • Fixed a few layout bugs
    • Beta 3
      • Minor bug fixes
      • Fixed halo trigger button
      • Added Omega version to About phone
    • Beta 2
      • Added Split-Window (Multi-windows type)
      • Updated HALO)))
      • Changed HALO))) switch to Date and Time in notification header
      • Use HALO))) for Split-Window
    • Beta 1
      • Initial CM11 build with HALO)))

Coming up next:
    • dr0hgeR.png
      A switch to choose HALO))) or Split Window
    • dr0hgeR.png
      Better animations
    • lZdRVO8.png
      Smooth progress bar