PS1 Emulator Settings

Search This thread

godvstheking

Jan 11, 2011
Chicago
I bought my Shield as an emulation machine primarily. It is nice to take my collection on the go. I have run into some problems with getting the settings right. I have the psp emulator running at a speed I am happy with and as for the old consoles its pretty much just load and go with the shield. My biggest problem has been getting the ps1 emulator working. I have tried Retroarch but I am having a hard time with configuring it so I stepped away from that one. ePSXe doesnt recognize analog inputs so thats a no go. So I am left with FPse. I cant seem to get the open GL mode to work right on my shield. and the normal hardware render is buggy too. Should I just bite the bullet and try to learn RetroArch or could one of you share with me your settings that work best for you.

TL/DR
Can someone share with me there settings to get the best balance between performance and visuals out FPse?

HobsonA

Dec 26, 2011
Albany
I bought my Shield as an emulation machine primarily. It is nice to take my collection on the go. I have run into some problems with getting the settings right. I have the psp emulator running at a speed I am happy with and as for the old consoles its pretty much just load and go with the shield. My biggest problem has been getting the ps1 emulator working. I have tried Retroarch but I am having a hard time with configuring it so I stepped away from that one. ePSXe doesnt recognize analog inputs so thats a no go. So I am left with FPse. I cant seem to get the open GL mode to work right on my shield. and the normal hardware render is buggy too. Should I just bite the bullet and try to learn RetroArch or could one of you share with me your settings that work best for you.

TL/DR
Can someone share with me there settings to get the best balance between performance and visuals out FPse?

Retroarch works almost perfectfor me minus the following issues... I can get satisfactory performance with a ps3 controller but select button doesn't work (And oddly after the 4.3 update my buttons are messed up such as Square being X on my controller?) and ok performance with my Moga given I don't care about the triggers or a select button... Using the shield as a controller works great if you don't miss L3 and R3... Haven't quite got a perfect setup yet. I was thinking about giving FPse a shot but your post worries me I won't be very well enjoying that setup experience either.

aDigitalPhantom

May 10, 2011
Classified
Retroarch works almost perfectfor me minus the following issues... I can get satisfactory performance with a ps3 controller but select button doesn't work (And oddly after the 4.3 update my buttons are messed up such as Square being X on my controller?) and ok performance with my Moga given I don't care about the triggers or a select button... Using the shield as a controller works great if you don't miss L3 and R3... Haven't quite got a perfect setup yet. I was thinking about giving FPse a shot but your post worries me I won't be very well enjoying that setup experience either.

Do you mean the square on the PS3 controller is X on the shield?
If that is the case I would guess that X on the PS3 controller will be A on the shield.
I also thought the shield sticks had buttons like the PS3 controllers do.

I have not used retroarch yet.

HobsonA

Dec 26, 2011
Albany
Do you mean the square on the PS3 controller is X on the shield?
If that is the case I would guess that X on the PS3 controller will be A on the shield.
I also thought the shield sticks had buttons like the PS3 controllers do.

I have not used retroarch yet.

Err sorry I was referring to the control scheme of the original PS1, For example I put in megaman legends and the tutorial said hit Square to fire and on my controller when i hit the square location I jumped and i had to hit the location where X would be in the sony scheme to fire on my moga... the shield controls are however in the correct locations

aDigitalPhantom

May 10, 2011
Classified

I have been looking at the shield key mappings (.kl and .kcm) for a project of mine, and I think something I found my be the cause of the select button error. I am not sure here, and I need to re-download update 63.

Err sorry I was referring to the control scheme of the original PS1, For example I put in megaman legends and the tutorial said hit Square to fire and on my controller when i hit the square location I jumped and i had to hit the location where X would be in the sony scheme to fire on my moga... the shield controls are however in the correct locations

That just made things worse. In your first post you said
...I can get satisfactory performance with a ps3 controller but select button doesn't work (And oddly after the 4.3 update my buttons are messed up such as Square being X on my controller?)....

So now I am Asking are the buttons messed up on the ps3 controller or the moga controller?

EDIT
Or are you referring to the fact that on the moga controller the location of the X button is in the same relative location that the Square button is on the playstation layout?
By this I mean
Shield and from the pictures I have seen moga
Code:
 Y
X B
 A

and the ps layout
1 = triangle
2 = square
3 = circle
4 = cross (X)
Code:
2 3

As you can see (if they post correctly)
Shield/moga>ps layout
Y>triangle
X>square
A>cross (X)
B>circle

And if are meaning something completely different that what I have posted here, please be more specific.

EDIT2
found something else after making more progress with my project (xperia play involved)
here is part of the key mapping that is used on the xplay for the ps3 controller.
Code:
key 0x12f    BUTTON_A
key 0x12c    BUTTON_B
key 0x12e    BUTTON_X
key 0x12d    BUTTON_Y

and the same mapping from the shield for the ps3 controller (update 59)
Code:
key 0x12f    BUTTON_X
key 0x12c    BUTTON_Y
key 0x12e    BUTTON_A
key 0x12d    BUTTON_B

I am also still re-downloading update 63 (slow internet)

Last edited:

HobsonA

Dec 26, 2011
Albany
Oh yea sorry it's the ps3 controller that had the incorrect mapping in Retroarch. Moga and Shield had correct mapping although the Moga had other issues such as triggers not working in retroarch

I should probably add I noticed it was incorrectly mapped after update 63, very possible it was there in 59 and I just failed to notice it.

aDigitalPhantom

May 10, 2011
Classified
Oh yea sorry it's the ps3 controller that had the incorrect mapping in Retroarch. Moga and Shield had correct mapping although the Moga had other issues such as triggers not working in retroarch

I should probably add I noticed it was incorrectly mapped after update 63, very possible it was there in 59 and I just failed to notice it.

the ps3 controller mapping did not change from update 59 to 63.

f2

Jan 9, 2008
FPse does not work

Is anyone with Firmware v68 still able to run FPse? I bought it today and after scanning my storages it always shows me the warning message: 'No Disk file found, Please READ: ...'.

After accepting the app always closes. Do you keep the bios .bin file on the internal or external storage?

Thanks!

hexitnow

Jun 19, 2013
Idaho
Is anyone with Firmware v68 still able to run FPse? I bought it today and after scanning my storages it always shows me the warning message: 'No Disk file found, Please READ: ...'.

After accepting the app always closes. Do you keep the bios .bin file on the internal or external storage?

Thanks!

I have it I will test it later and update this post

Hit thanks if I helped you out. Doing a little bit of reading goes a long way. Sent via tapatalk.