[Q] Can't Root? What are my options?

Search This thread

Milothicus

Jul 16, 2010
I have an i747M, from Fido (rogers) running the stock 4.3 firmware. yesterday i tried to root it using odin to install CWM, and then CWM to install supersu.

after successfully installing supersu, i restarted the phone, and got knox blocking the app. i updated it from Play, but then i couldn't open it, and it said it can't install the binary. when my phone asked to update the security certificates, i (stupidly) agreed.

i downloaded the .zip for supersu 1.89, and tried installing that, with the same result, but this time i also can't uninstall supersu.

i've bumped my binary counter, but i'm back to basically stock now.

my goal is to install aokp. is there a way to do it without gaining root first?

if i install CWM through odin, can i flash the aokp rom from CWM?
will the phone reset the recovery?
is this risky?

Milothicus

Jul 16, 2010
It's there a reason to install a rooted rom before aokp? As far as I can tell, I can install aokp without rooting at all.

or am I missing something?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda app-developers app

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Yes, you can just install a custom ROM without rooting first.

I mentioned the prerooted ROM because you post said you wanted to install su.

Milothicus

Jul 16, 2010
Ok, please confirm i have this procedure correct:

1. i use Odin to install CWM
2. boot straight into CWM
3. from inside CWM, i flash the AOKP zip file, and then the gapps zip file

my understanding is that this will keep cwm as my recovery and install aokp with gapps.

am i missing anything?

Yes, you can just install a custom ROM without rooting first.

I mentioned the prerooted ROM because you post said you wanted to install su.

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Ok, please confirm i have this procedure correct:

1. i use Odin to install CWM
2. boot straight into CWM
3. from inside CWM, i flash the AOKP zip file, and then the gapps zip file

my understanding is that this will keep cwm as my recovery and install aokp with gapps.

am i missing anything?

Just make sure you flash a tar version of CWM that is meant for your phone.

I can't really speak about 4.3 because I'm on 4.1.2 but the method you described is the same method I used.

BCSC

Nov 5, 2009
New Westminster
I have an i747M, from Fido (rogers) running the stock 4.3 firmware. yesterday i tried to root it using odin to install CWM, and then CWM to install supersu.

after successfully installing supersu, i restarted the phone, and got knox blocking the app. i updated it from Play, but then i couldn't open it, and it said it can't install the binary. when my phone asked to update the security certificates, i (stupidly) agreed.

If you want to kill Konx to enable root you can flash this knox removal script: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2507931
If you are just going to flash AOKP via CWM, this may not be necessary, but this is the answer to your Knox problem.