Finally got my G3 performing great.

Search This thread

bkeaver

I've checked out a view reviews online, and read a few comments on here. I keep hearing problems with lag, quite disappointing for a device that has 3 gigs of ram...
I have both the AT&T variant and the T-Mobile one as well. Neither one has the lag, over heating and battery drain that "Reviewers" state there is. Now mind you i have rooted and froze apps via titanium backup.

I think the biggest issue out of the box is that stupid lookout security app. I'm almost convinced that is where most of the lag and over heat comes from. After i freeze that things got a while lot better.

AndroidHabit

Mar 2, 2013
Random Reboots and Overheating

Seems like I might have got a bad phone I guess. It was the last one at AT&T and the lady was quick to put the battery in and booted up the phone, not only that but the sim card was already in it. I'm way past the 14 day exchange so it is mine to deal with.

After rooting and serious debloating and xposing, greenifying and other hidden menu options.
There still seems to be an overheating problem causing random reboots.
Switching the hidden menu options back to stock just takes it back to why I needed to search how to make it lag free.
Now looking into what I can disable, freeze or delete in the android OS and android system that keeps draining my battery.
The phone seems to get throttled really high and sticks there for a while causing it to shutdown without warning.

Hope this gets worked out with an update or I myself can figure out.

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

I just wish the phone was a little brighter

Sent from my VS985 4G using XDA Free mobile app

This phone is really bright, I always have my brightness set to "0" and its still bright.
Still have heat issues even with the brightness always down and auto off.
There is another app I have that sets the brightness lower than the stock can do and it works.
I don't use it much because its really lower and should only be used in really dark areas but it is adjustable.

Storm T

Apr 10, 2011
Not sure what phone you came from but this phone is not bright at all. I'm coming from a Note 3, Note 2. S4 and this doesn't compare to the brightness and vivid colors of the Samsungs.

Seems like I might have got a bad phone I guess. It was the last one at AT&T and the lady was quick to put the battery in and booted up the phone, not only that but the sim card was already in it. I'm way past the 14 day exchange so it is mine to deal with.

After rooting and serious debloating and xposing, greenifying and other hidden menu options.
Switching the hidden menu options back to stock just takes it back to why I needed to search how to make it lag free.
Now looking into what I can disable, freeze or delete in the android OS and android system that keeps draining my battery.
The phone seems to get throttled really high and sticks there for a while causing it to shutdown without warning.

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

This phone is really bright, I always have my brightness set to "0" and its still bright.
There is another app I have that sets the brightness lower than the stock can do and it works.
I don't use it much because its really lower and should only be used in really dark areas but it is adjustable.

sublimaze

Oct 13, 2010
Seems like I might have got a bad phone I guess.

It sounds like you have a defective phone. It definitely should not overheat when the brightness is low, unless you constantly play heavy 3D games. Do you have insurance? If I were you, I would go to all the nearby stores and complain until they exchanged it. Sounds like you have defective hardware, and unlikely to be fixed with a firmware update. I got my G3 on release day and I have never had such issues.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

elijahblake

Feb 18, 2010
Brandon, MS
It sounds like you have a defective phone. It definitely should not overheat when the brightness is low, unless you constantly play heavy 3D games. Do you have insurance? If I were you, I would go to all the nearby stores and complain until they exchanged it. Sounds like you have defective hardware, and unlikely to be fixed with a firmware update. I got my G3 on release day and I have never had such issues.

Why use insurance and pay a deductible when the phone is still under warranty? Get phone back to stock contact LG and get the phone replaced.

Reactions: gharris040604

KeeperOfThePizza

Sep 16, 2010
Benchmarks are highly overrated... I just disabled all the bloat that came on the phone. Not rooted. Had the same results. Haven't noticed any lag. Decent battery life. Outstanding stand by time.

Reactions: 3's&7's

THEbigSWEEN

Mar 5, 2012
Benchmarks are highly overrated... I just disabled all the bloat that came on the phone. Not rooted. Had the same results. Haven't noticed any lag. Decent battery life. Outstanding stand by time.

THIS. Stand by time is re-DONK-ulous! On verizon, rooted, have all bloat removed, greenify and location on high accuracy with unbounce xposed mod. I work in a warehouse (metal building/ terrible reception) and even being in there using my phone about 45 minutes throughout the day while on breaks I've been averaging 1.6%/hr drain as per BetterBatteryStats. Phone is nice and snappy too. Once bootloader gets unlocked this thing will be a monster! Will be with the G3 for the foreseeable future unless some powerhouse of a phone happens to come out after about 12-18 months that is able to pull me away. :cool:

Reactions: 3's&7's

3's&7's

Jul 25, 2013
P3X-439

They are, but the G3 can / does compete benchmarking vs anything (antutu mid 40k's now modded stock). Imo, once the bootloader is unlocked, the g3 will match the natural prowess of a simple OnePlus or the built in testing tweaks of Samsung's.

It is a beast of a phone, mine screams without thermals off. Brightness is not an issue here; my wife has a m8 and the g3 is cleaner on the eyes for both of us. The m8 seemed dull next to the g3...it needed the brightness to pop a less detailed image.

---------- Post added at 01:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 AM ----------

THIS. Stand by time is re-DONK-ulous! On verizon, rooted, have all bloat removed, greenify and location on high accuracy with unbounce xposed mod. I work in a warehouse (metal building/ terrible reception) and even being in there using my phone about 45 minutes throughout the day while on breaks I've been averaging 1.6%/hr drain as per BetterBatteryStats. Phone is nice and snappy too. Once bootloader gets unlocked this thing will be a monster! Will be with the G3 for the foreseeable future unless some powerhouse of a phone happens to come out after about 12-18 months that is able to pull me away. :cool:

Completely agree!

This is my third G3 D850 and it runs way better than the first two I had. If it isn't working, flash to stock and get a new one. At&t retail will work with you...they need you and not phones collecting dust in stock.

My local store totally takes care of me, I always get what I need and they get my biz again. I usually have something unlocked too and they think its great I swap daily drivers lol.

Reactions: THEbigSWEEN

JDBarlow

Aug 27, 2010
White Oak, TX

Sorry if I've missed this already but have you tried flashing back to stock? I too suffered some lag out of the box. Rooted soon as there was an exploit and still had lag. Example of the lag I'm referring to would be such as going into dialer and push the numbers as fast as you can and the phone couldn't keep up. Luckily I installed an ifont and it got stuck at the LG splash screen. I flashed back to stock and now my phone is totally off the chain! Like day and night..still tripping..so if you haven't returned it back to stock it couldn't hurt to try..good luck

3's&7's

Jul 25, 2013
P3X-439
Why are you on your third G3? Just curious.

#1 overheated often, constantly self dimming over casual use

#2 USB port broke after a few uses, also ran very warm

#3 runs like a champ, but is boxed until the bootloader unlock

Running a d851 now w/twrp...trying to tweak it to my d850 performance level. Not there yet...

4ndroid99

Apr 6, 2014
New York
I do think the "lag" issues will be fixed with an OTA. The D850 is still on version d but the latest versions of the software for the D855 seems to have greatly improved performance. If only ATT can stop being so lazy.

3's&7's

Jul 25, 2013
P3X-439
I'm not too hopeful on ATT either. Chances are, the bootloader will probably be unlocked before ATT pushes out the first OTA update for our D850.

For sure... They always take their time.

Meanwhile, Aosp / CM alphas are improving weekly for the 851.

Perhaps good timing with a purported single three carrier unlock solution in the near term.

bdbx18

Mar 30, 2006
I just don't know. Battery life has not been consistent for me and bad on some days to the point where it's drained by 3pm.
Until ....... I debloated and removed carrier IQ. Now I'm at about 30% left after 16 hrs. It's definitely good now.

mbze430

Feb 28, 2007
Southeast Missouri
For what ever reason I can't get the LG G3 to .5% drain during the nights. I have LG G Pad 7.0 LTE that drains at .5%, I have a Samsung Note 8 running CM 11 that drains at .5%. I have a Samsung Tab 3 7.0 that drains at .8%. But this M@&(@$*@*$ I can't get it to drain at .5% during nights... and it's ALWAYS Android OS that is taking up all the Awake and CPU cycles.

WTF is wrong with this thing?!?!? About to throw this thing against the wall

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Currently on a D850. Will admit I was disappointed by performance and battery life out the box. After 2 weeks though and various tweaks I have my G3 right where I want it. Will just post benchmarks for now, will update with settings/tweaks upon request.
    Silence is guilt.
    I no longer have the D855, i got a US Tmobile D851. =( , but im sure one of the guys @ http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2791761 will be more then happy to post it. I sold mine today.

Sent from my LG-D851 using XDA Free mobile app

It's funny everyone that talks about unheard of battery life posts no pics....lol

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Free mobile app
    Stop stalling... and start sharing ;)

They are, but the G3 can / does compete benchmarking vs anything (antutu mid 40k's now modded stock). Imo, once the bootloader is unlocked, the g3 will match the natural prowess of a simple OnePlus or the built in testing tweaks of Samsung's.

It is a beast of a phone, mine screams without thermals off. Brightness is not an issue here; my wife has a m8 and the g3 is cleaner on the eyes for both of us. The m8 seemed dull next to the g3...it needed the brightness to pop a less detailed image.

---------- Post added at 01:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 AM ----------

Completely agree!

This is my third G3 D850 and it runs way better than the first two I had. If it isn't working, flash to stock and get a new one. At&t retail will work with you...they need you and not phones collecting dust in stock.

My local store totally takes care of me, I always get what I need and they get my biz again. I usually have something unlocked too and they think its great I swap daily drivers lol.