[Support Thread] Native Ubuntu (Lubuntu, LXDE) on TF700T

Search This thread

error404_

Oct 23, 2012
OK, so I tried it too. Some first impressions:
* Touchscreen, keyboard dock and touchpad work fine.
* WiFi works too.
* Everything is very tiny. "xrandr --dpi 160" helps a bit.
* Most dock special keys send the correct keysyms corresponding to their label, but maybe XF86Back should be mapped to Esc instead
* Connecting a HDMI cable freezes the system
* Booting with connected HDMI cable also hangs at the bootloader screen
* I don't understand why "mount -o loop /mnt2/ubuntu /mnt" in the initrd works, shouldn't it be "-o bind"?

For an early alpha: very impressive!

How did you get WLan to work?
It says Wireless Networks are disconnected.

Im using the ubuntu 2D version

Edit: "Connect to hidden Network"

Last edited:

huy_lonewolf

Mar 5, 2012
Singapore
Sorry for this clueless question, but what are the obvious/compelling benefits of running Linux on the tf700 instead of Android? I'm all for further development, this is just purely out of curiosity. For an average user, is there a reason to switch to Linux if Linux works on the tf700?

l1nuxfre4k

Aug 9, 2008
Sorry for this clueless question, but what are the obvious/compelling benefits of running Linux on the tf700 instead of Android? I'm all for further development, this is just purely out of curiosity. For an average user, is there a reason to switch to Linux if Linux works on the tf700?

For an average user there is no reason to switch if you dont happen to have linux exerpience, and know your way around linux good.
When and if it becomes stable it will make your TF700 become a laptop you could say, u would be able to do most stuff you do on a normal laptop, and use the apps you are use to in Ubuntu.

Reactions: huy_lonewolf

maxal

Jan 17, 2012
Southampton
For an average user there is no reason to switch if you dont happen to have linux exerpience, and know your way around linux good.
When and if it becomes stable it will make your TF700 become a laptop you could say, u would be able to do most stuff you do on a normal laptop, and use the apps you are use to in Ubuntu.

I don't have any linux experience, but look forward to the day when Ubuntu becomes stable enough to allow people like me who are keen to try new experiences, as duel boot is something I have always wanted to do be able to do. :good:

Malkaridae

Aug 16, 2012
With the new Ubuntu 12.10 it is "pretty" user friendly, it supports multiple drivers nowdays. However, there are some drivers you'd have to poke the net and play around with terminals to get it working. Best way to gain experiences is get into it, back up your hard drive or use another hard drive available and install any linux distro, don't be afraid if you mess something, that's all part of learning and experiences, just like in life mistakes or failures is never a bad thing we learn from it and prevent it from happen again in the future. There are great and friendly community in linux, they will help you out with any problem you may come across.

Cheers

huy_lonewolf

Mar 5, 2012
Singapore

I am actually a bit confused. Most of the knowledge I have is from Windows, so pardon me if this question sounds weird. In order to run Windows on ARM processors, Microsoft has to create a separate version of Windows (windows RT) and none of the x86-64 apps can work. As a result, I assume the same situation will happen to Linux in general. Apps will need to be recompiled in order to run on ARM processors. Does this mean the tf700 should run a special distribution of Ubuntu that is designed for ARM processors instead of the traditional full-fledged Ubuntu? Will the same Linux apps running on my core i7 run on the tf700?

Malkaridae

Aug 16, 2012
I am actually a bit confused. Most of the knowledge I have is from Windows, so pardon me if this question sounds weird. In order to run Windows on ARM processors, Microsoft has to create a separate version of Windows (windows RT) and none of the x86-64 apps can work. As a result, I assume the same situation will happen to Linux in general. Apps will need to be recompiled in order to run on ARM processors. Does this mean the tf700 should run a special distribution of Ubuntu that is designed for ARM processors instead of the traditional full-fledged Ubuntu? Will the same Linux apps running on my core i7 run on the tf700?

Now there is a differences in design between Windows and Linux, what you say about Windows is true. However, for Linux is different story because Linux is designed to support many different hardware, thus is why application on ARM processor should and will work. Also keep in mind Android is built based off Linux-kernel.

As for applications running on your PC, I believe there may be some limitations on TF700 (correct me if I'm wrong, haven't tried Linux on this yet).

What I want is LibreOffice, Eclipse and Android Emulator and I'll be happy. :D

Cheers

Last edited:

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012

Correct, programs compiled for a PC (x86-64) do not work on an ARM CPU. But there is a difference to Windows - almost all Linux apps are open source and many have been already ported to various CPU platforms many years ago, so creating an ARM version of Ubuntu is mostly a lot of cross-compiling and finding working drivers for the hardware.

So it is possible, with some exceptions, to build a full-fledged Ubuntu for ARM (as seen in this thread), but it will still not run apps compiled for a PC.

TheOneCurly

Nov 23, 2012
Uninstall/removal

So what's the correct procedure for removing this completely? My install went flawlessly but I think I prefer android for this device as of now. I just want to do this right and not have a brick on my hands.

Thanks so much for this, this community is great!

danger-rat

Feb 14, 2010
USA
So what's the correct procedure for removing this completely? My install went flawlessly but I think I prefer android for this device as of now. I just want to do this right and not have a brick on my hands.

Thanks so much for this, this community is great!

Just flash the boot image for your ROM to get Android back. Delete the /data/ubuntu folder to remove the Ubuntu install...

villankd47

Nov 24, 2012
Fixed, had to turn off the zip authentication and md5 check, but now my tablet just gets stuck in a constant cycle of rebooting and never actually getting into ubuntu, just sits on the Asus splash at the beginning.

Last edited:

villankd47

Nov 24, 2012
Not sure what you mean by "it fails", Linux fails to boot, or the zip fails to flash.
Mind sharing a few more details?

The img failed to flash, fixed it but then my tablet got stuck in a constant cycle of rebooting but never boot passed the Asus splash. Had to restore my android backup after it wouldn't let me boot.

tpmullan

Jan 17, 2011
Sounds like it didn't download the file properly. Go back to the internet and redownload the boot image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda app-developers app

jeffmanh

Aug 22, 2012
hai gais...

I attempted to install this, everything seems to unzip correctly, but when Ubuntu is booting, all I get is the watch cursor (or hourglass) and a black screen and nothing more.

I only attemted this with the unity2d file.

Anyone else experience this?

danger-rat

Feb 14, 2010
USA
hai gais...

I attempted to install this, everything seems to unzip correctly, but when Ubuntu is booting, all I get is the watch cursor (or hourglass) and a black screen and nothing more.

I only attemted this with the unity2d file.

Anyone else experience this?

If the file unzipped, I would guess that you either unzipped to the wrong location, or the file is corrupt. Try deleting the /data/ubuntu folder and unzipping again... Also, make sure you are flashing the correct boot image (the precise image is for ubuntu).

You can also flash your Android kernel, which will let you boot back into Android, and you can confirm the files are in /data/ubuntu. The folder name is case sensitive...

rahulunni

Nov 27, 2012
Tokyo
I hacked together a small shell script that can be used in Android to enter the Ubuntu installation as chroot and run console programs like apt-get in it. Maybe it is of use to someone.

Code:
GNU_ROOT=/data/ubuntu
mount -o bind /dev $GNU_ROOT/dev
mount -o bind /dev/pts $GNU_ROOT/dev/pts
mount -o bind /sys $GNU_ROOT/sys
mount -o bind /proc $GNU_ROOT/proc

mkdir $GNU_ROOT/run/resolvconf
rm $GNU_ROOT/run/resolvconf/resolv.conf
for i in 1 2 3 4; do
        ns=`getprop dhcp.wlan0.dns$i`
        if [ $ns ]; then
                echo nameserver $ns >> $GNU_ROOT/run/resolvconf/resolv.conf
        fi
done

chroot $GNU_ROOT /usr/bin/env PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin /bin/bash -l

umount $GNU_ROOT/proc
umount $GNU_ROOT/sys
umount $GNU_ROOT/dev/pts
umount $GNU_ROOT/dev

Save e.g as /data/enter-ubuntu and chmod 700. Feel free to use it or to post improvements.

In case anybody has used this script, could you tell me if it is supposed to delete your password while getting you in as chroot? The script itself works beautifully. Just that the when I booted back into Ubuntu, I did not need any password to login. Not a big issue though coz I reset my password through chroot itself.

Top Liked Posts