please delete

Would you like to see UbunTop as an upgrade for WebTop+?

• Keep UbunTop separate.

Votes: 48 19.4%
  • Make UbunTop a upgrade to WebTop+.

Votes: 86 34.8%
  • Have UbunTop as both standalone and upgrade.

Votes: 113 45.7%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Gack69

Nov 30, 2011
Louisville
NEW UBUNTOP RELEASE! finally
More stuff!
Custom Webtop Dock!
You now have the choice of THREE desktop environments! (told you there was more stuff)
66MB smaller file than Ubuntop Full! (don't ask me how)
50MB more free space than the previous version! (again no clue, I think Gnomes worked on it while I wasn't looking)

I've tried to download this a couple times, downloads complete without any issues, but winrar keeps throwing errors when I go to extract. Once extracted...I have the large Ubuntop_1.3.0.zip in the folder and 3 empty directories...nothing else. Is it me, or is the archive corrupted?

Lokifish Marz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
I've tried to download this a couple times, downloads complete without any issues, but winrar keeps throwing errors when I go to extract. Once extracted...I have the large Ubuntop_1.3.0.zip in the folder and 3 empty directories...nothing else. Is it me, or is the archive corrupted?

I'm double checking it but try using 7zip instead. I use a particular 7zip setup to get it as small as possible. When I edited the OP I forgot to put that in and seemed to have lost the warning on the site as well.

Edit:
DL'd and tested. The zip extracts fine using 7zip.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gack69

Gack69

Nov 30, 2011
Louisville
Ahh... Good to know... Will download that utility and work it out from there... Tx!

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

elibaba

Jul 10, 2007
Loki, You should'nt feel bad, it's me who didn't give enough info. Will try sbf'ing as you recommended and report back.

My current config is :

Webtop version : WT 1.2.0-174
System version : 45.3.7.sprint.en.us
Kernel 2.6.32.9
Imperium initiative

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

elibaba

Jul 10, 2007
Flashing sbf brings up another issue, like a magic circle - phone crashes on boot right after "welcome to now' splash, so I can't enter android and check the webtop stock.

Lokifish Marz

Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
Flashing sbf brings up another issue, like a magic circle - phone crashes on boot right after "welcome to now' splash, so I can't enter android and check the webtop stock.

I think you're phone is angry at you. What did you do to it? :D

Try flashing the sbf again see if that works. Also, if you have a micro-hdmi cable, download nebtop and see if you can launch webtop connected to a tv. If you can verify it's working on stock and UbunTop connected to a tv then we know for sure it a lapdock issue.

Gack69

Nov 30, 2011
Louisville
Follow up...

I'm double checking it but try using 7zip instead. I use a particular 7zip setup to get it as small as possible. When I edited the OP I forgot to put that in and seemed to have lost the warning on the site as well.

Edit:
DL'd and tested. The zip extracts fine using 7zip.

7zip worked like a charm! Didn't notice until earlier that you also upgraded your ROM and it includes the updated Webtop, so just went that route. Upon booting into Webtop, it defaulted to standard webtop, so using the instruction in this thread, simply copied over the directory for UbuntuLX, and ran it from Terminal, rebooted, and Ta-da...Running LXDE and working like a champ!

Thanks for all you do! You make the Photon still ubber fun after a full year! :)

JamesChilds

Jan 3, 2012
Lakeland

After you SBF it won't boot straight up. Turn the phone completely off. Power on holding power button and volume down. When the menu pops up scroll down to android recovery. (Yes I know, it is the STOCK Android recovery your going to now). Now press volume up and down at same time. do a factory data reset, phone should reboot.

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

Also, Lokifish! Can I adb push this to a locked phone? =]

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

ONE MORE THING! LOL.

ads.rocketadv.com is serving ads on your site and my AVG says it serves malware, as well. It wasn't wanting me to go through with your download. I downloaded it anyway. If I get a virus!!!! Oooooo

Reactions: elibaba

Lokifish Marz

Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
[/COLOR]Also, Lokifish! Can I adb push this to a locked phone? =]

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

ONE MORE THING! LOL.

ads.rocketadv.com is serving ads on your site and my AVG says it serves malware, as well. It wasn't wanting me to go through with your download. I downloaded it anyway. If I get a virus!!!! Oooooo

Without unlock you don't have proper access to /osh so no. Among tens other things I'm working on I may have an exploit method that only requires unlock but haven't had the time to nail it down.

Must be that one ad because I have adblock turned off for my site and am running avg on the windows install on my devbox and never received a warning. I still scan everything with NOD32 prior to upload.

elibaba

Jul 10, 2007
JamesChilds, you are my savior!

Your method did the trick and actually write this post from my lapdock 500 running stock webtop firefox!

Many many thanks!

And now it's time for imperium initiative 1.0.5

EDIT : done, got Imperium 1.0.5 running, ubuntup is awesome! works flawlessly with my photon. Kudos to Lokifish for all the assistance!
I'm yet to check if all the peripherals work i.e webcam, sdcard reader etc. tried USB mouse and it works perfectly.

Just a quick question - how can I make the 3g icon next to the signal bars in the statusbar disappear ? I rarely connect to 3g since open wifi is abundant here, so it just a bit confusing when the phone is not actually on gsm data.

Last edited:

JamesChilds

Jan 3, 2012
Lakeland
I don't necessarily care, virus' don't scare me! =P. Anywho, Evern if I remounted /osh in adb you don't think I could just push the files? Damn. I really don't want to unlock =P Oh well.

tjrhine

Oct 6, 2009
Hold off on unlocking. Something is coming......
You got my attention.

I've been following this thread and have been trying to keep my phone pretty much stock but would really like to make better use of my lapdock (actually it has been sitting untouched for over a month since it's so slow.) Looking forward to what's next.

elibaba

Jul 10, 2007
Well, I finally got that US to EU plug adapter and now I can explore the ubuntop (this post is actully written with it! :p), so obviously I have a few questions :

1. I added Hebrew in XFCE keyboard layouts, but I cannt switch to it altough my xorg.conf does contain these lines that I added manually:

Code:
Option	"XkbLayout"	"en,he"
Option       "XkbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle"

Any idea how to switch languages ?

2. When I insert an SDCARD to the lapdock 500, I see it on the desktop, but accessing it results in :

Code:
Unable to mount "SD/MMC Drive":

nable to mount "SD/MMC Drive":(process:12588): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.	
Using the fallback 'C' locale.org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable no <-- (action, result)

Same happens if I try to access it via Thunar, but strangly it does work and I can play video clips from the sdcard if I browse via the file manager shortcut in the bottom bar (just left of the red M "apps for weptop" shortcut)

3. No sound when I play mp3 from my phone with VLC.

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

well, after running webtop2sd the sdcard mounting issue is gone away,

Now I have osh shortcut on the desktop with a blue sdcard icon, and the actual sdcard in the lapdock appears as a usb stick and works fine.

Does it mean I can reclaim the space in the osh partition for the internal storage ?

Webtop2sd and awn manager shortcuts don't do anything, should they ?

And how can I see the lapdock battery status in the upper status bar ?

Sorry for all the n00b questions, I'm just so exited, it's a marvelous piece of software, this ubuntop!

elibaba

Jul 10, 2007
Issue 1 gone - installed xfce4-panel via synaptic, did startx and voila, I can add applets like lang chooser and use alt+shift to flick languages, works sweetly. webtop and awn shortcuts gone.

* Sdcard in lapdock works erratically, need to look deeper I to it - after reboot, now it works again

* Still no sound on lapdock.

* Still can't see lapdock battery status.

Last edited:

thantos

Dec 25, 2010
Hi all,

sorry if this was addressed but did a quick search but couldn find any mention. Can this be flashed on to the atrix and run as per the instructions?

Thanks,

Lokifish Marz

Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
In it's current form it cannot. I had discussed working on it with an Atrix owner but lost eight years of development work today with multiple drive failures. With that, UbunTop and Webtop+ are dead until I can afford a new HD and get up and running again. That may be a month or more.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'M BACK!!!

After having to back away from development and the community for a while for numerous reasons I'm back. I have a ton of PM's (mostly OMAP release requests) to read as well as threads so I'm playing catch up.

My goals for UT/WT+ will be another base change as well as a unified locked/unlocked version for Tegra2 devices. This will increase install time significantly but allow those with locked phones running Gingerbread the ability to use UT/WT+. I may release a fast installer version of the upcoming new release but make no promises. There is still no UT/WT+ solution for ICS and JBean users so please don't ask.

I will also be updating the website and changing a few things to make D/L's a bit easier for folks. So, yes I'm back but it may be a few days before new releases and site updates appear.
    I haven't forgotten about Ubuntop, just been busy with life. With repos dropping off and the brickwall that Avant has become it has changed the game significantly. I was almost finished with an XFCE "Unity look" build that would have fit on the Atrix then packages started disappearing from the repos. Had I known this I would have never put all that time into going through packages one by one to see what I could remove to get XFCE to fit.

Since then I've been trying to get something that is based on more current code while trying to get it to fit on an Atrix. Right now it's down to a base Puppy Debian ARM build but this now requires I build a working Puppy image that duplicates Canonical's and Moto's work with little to go on. There's also my desire to have such support implemented in AOSP so you guys are not stuck on GB. With many of the other webtop/moto devs having moved on this is a slow process.

I am also planning a relaunch of the website in January with at least one familiar name added to the Imperium banner.

Hey guys,

I've followed the instructions exactly as described, but I'm running into 2 problems:

1. I've run Webtop2sd without any errors thrown. Unfortunately, even though disk analyzer shows 2gb of space available on a 3gb partition, synaptic and apt-get are throwing an error essentially saying I don't have enough space to install the software I have attempted (OpenOffice, vlc).

2. Some of the repositories included by default do not seem to exist anymore.

From terminal in Ubuntop, run this command "df -h" and let me know what you get.

As far as the repos disappearing, Webtop was based on some very old code. The problem is that on the Atrix, getting an updated Ubuntu build to fit inside the 750MB partition is near impossible as even Maverick is dropping off as well.

Will UbunTop run over HDMI? I have an Otterbox Defender case and don't want to take the case off to drop it into the HD dock so I'd like to run it over HDMI (with bluetooth mouse/keyboard).

I did find a thread "[Q] Forcing Webtop over HDMI Cable" but it requires replacing several files so I was wondering if that trick would work for UbunTop?

If your ROM doesn't already support it then use nebtop.

If installing a new Gingerbread ROM, how can I preserve my Ubuntop setup?

Copy /data/home to you SDCard
    install your rom but do not format /osh
    after you set up your rom, copy your backup of /data/home back to the phone

This will preserve any customizations you have done to the desktop as well as any files/shortcuts you may have created.
    I've been trying to get together as much data as I can regarding the six Tegra2 devices that Moto dropped (eight if read by model number) as well as trying to locate the bloody ICS and JB Photon leaks (do not ask how I know they exist). I have also been trying to get what info I have to the proper press outlets like I did on Friday to break the news and reaching out to Moto via public and official means. As a result my dev time has been limited.

I can't remember if I uploaded the new menupatch yet for 1.1.0 but will try to get that taken care of. I also have not received much feedback from Imperium members regarding Beta 1.2.0. I'm still working on things but I hope folks understand that I'm also trying to help Moto Tegra2 owners as a whole.