Evo Opening Tool?

Search This thread

ctzw

Aug 19, 2011
I was going to teardown evo, so I bought 'plastic opening tool' to open it. After removing the six screws, I had a hard time detach the red shell. My plastic opening tool easily broke after applying a little pressure. Anyone has good idea how to open it?

31J78XZYlfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

RvUZtDwuAAE3rYiY.medium

jinx01

Dec 25, 2007
Hey there. Just opened my evo for the first time yesterday. I wont mention the method that I used because it left little jagged edges in my plastic frame. I would try again with a plastic "safe-pry" tool, just like the green ones you posted. It takes considerably more force than I had expected after removing the torx screws, both to remove the backing (pictured in your post) and to remove the screen (this is what I was up to - cracked glass replacement). "A bit of adhesive" is what I was told holds the glass into the plastic frame... understatement of the year with my Evo. I really had to work at it. Again, the tool I used jacked me up a little, so I would not reccommend using anything other than something plastic that can slide in between the separation of the frame and whatever you are trying to remove. Good luck!

HonkDragonfly

Oct 19, 2010
so THATS what the inside of my phone looks like :p

I'm too afraid to even attempt to open mine..

I had a dream one night that I dropped it in the toilet, I quickly took out the battery dried it off, but it was broke.

I woke up sweaty and relieved that it was just a dream!!

Worst dream ever ><

delman420

Sep 17, 2011
portland oregon
I've been looking everywhere for a plastic safety tool. Where can you buy them other than online

Sent from my SUPERSONIC NOCTURNAL ECLIPSED EVO using xda premium

jthatton

Oct 5, 2010
Magnolia
After removing the midget screws, I found two different ways to go about removing the housing. 1 a guitar pick, like shown. 2 a plastic credit card. Either will do just fine. ^^

jr71x

Jul 17, 2008
Des Moines
Just use your fingernail and go all the way around the case, ive had mine apart like fifty times, too easy...

Monkeyforce

Jan 15, 2011
Norco
Four clips around phone

The video is a good guide and same one I used, just adding a reminder.
The plastic tool is to be used along the gap to remove the adhesive and separate the clips along the sides of the phone, careful for the be clips or very delicate and can easily broken with your fingers.

smaw51

Nov 22, 2010
Tempe
I've always just use a small metal flathead screw driver. Never had any issues, but my frame is not structurally sound either. There is a crack near the 1/8" jack from throwing it around.

PlatinumPenguin

Mar 18, 2012
Houston
I was able to buy a complete set of tools from a frys electroic store. I use them to fix smartphones and laptops. Those green pry tools and guitar picks look like they should work. :good:

atljatl

Jan 6, 2012
atlanta, ga
i was able to use my index fingers and thumbs to bump a 6 month old thread, and the back cover came right off. easy peasy.

2gttalon

Sep 20, 2012
Those longer blue and green tools (about 2 in) with narrow edges are absolute junk. They broke on me during a screen replacement for a friend and i swapped to a metal electronics flathead and took my time. Only a few marred edges.

PhxkinMassacre

Dec 4, 2010
Lemont
this has nothing really to do with this thread but i swear i thought the title said "eye opening tool" i then proceeded to "wat?" all over the place wondering why its in the accessories section for the evo, then i realized the error in my reading haha