[For DEV]Samsung Galaxy W I8150 kernel&platform source code

Search This thread

madhand1

Apr 24, 2011
Bangalore
Hi, I am also planning to buy this phone when it launches in India, mean while i heard the call quality of this phone is worst, can you please confirm. also the Pros and Cons you found on this phone.

Meanwhile i have also made a request in the forum for the Custom Rom.

eriksp

Dec 21, 2010
Samsung Galaxy W I8150

Swap (remap) Internal SD with External SD. To do this you need to replace (or manually edit) /etc/vold.fstab with attached one.

DISCLAIMER: Usual stuff. Do it at your own risk. I am not responsible for any damage or data loss it may cause.

• You may loose applications that have been moved to SD card so it might be a good idea to move all installed apps to the phone memory.
  • Make sure your phone is rooted and your external SD card is FAT32 formatted.
  • Back up your original /etc/vold.fstab
  • Copy accross any data you want to be on new /mnt/sdcard from your /mnt/sdcard to /mnt/sdcard/external_sd
  • Unzip and put modified vold.fstab on you phone
  • In root explorer go to /etc
  • Re-mount the filesystem to R/W
  • Copy modified vold.fstab from wherever you have it to the /etc using root explorer
  • Change permissions to rw-r--r-- (644)
  • Re-mount filesystem as R/O
  • Reboot your phone

Your external big SD card should now be /mnt/sdcard (Internal SD) and your internal SD should now be /mnt/sdcard/external_sd

When you move apps to SD they will be moved to /mnt/sdcard/external_sd

The hack is adoption of the MOD provided by trip007in on XDA Developers forum - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1088474 Many thanks.

Attachments

• mod_vold.zip
    538 bytes · Views: 67,803

capit@l

Oct 28, 2011
Samsung Galaxy W I8150

Swap (remap) Internal SD with External SD. To do this you need to replace (or manually edit) /etc/vold.fstab with attached one.

DISCLAIMER: Usual stuff. Do it at your own risk. I am not responsible for any damage or data loss it may cause.

• You may loose applications that have been moved to SD card so it might be a good idea to move all installed apps to the phone memory.
  • Make sure your phone is rooted and your external SD card is FAT32 formatted.
  • Back up your original /etc/vold.fstab
  • Copy accross any data you want to be on new /mnt/sdcard from your /mnt/sdcard to /mnt/sdcard/external_sd
  • Unzip and put modified vold.fstab on you phone
  • In root explorer go to /etc
  • Re-mount the filesystem to R/W
  • Copy modified vold.fstab from wherever you have it to the /etc using root explorer
  • Change permissions to rw-r--r-- (644)
  • Re-mount filesystem as R/O
  • Reboot your phone

Your external big SD card should now be /mnt/sdcard (Internal SD) and your internal SD should now be /mnt/sdcard/external_sd

When you move apps to SD they will be moved to /mnt/sdcard/external_sd

The hack is adoption of the MOD provided by trip007in on XDA Developers forum - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1088474 Many thanks.
AMAZING!!
It seems to work!!
:OK: !!
GREAT!!
THANKS MY FRIEND!
:p
now we must only add the new recovery(vol up+home+start)

qzem

Jun 23, 2010
Hi, I am also planning to buy this phone when it launches in India, mean while i heard the call quality of this phone is worst, can you please confirm. also the Pros and Cons you found on this phone.

Meanwhile i have also made a request in the forum for the Custom Rom.

I see no problem on call quality, I think that this depends from sginal strenght and carrier. In my case, I've noticed, that call quality is a little better when using skype for calling.

Reactions: madhand1

Gambler_3

Oct 30, 2011
I was so interested in this phone until I saw that it has 4GB internal memory divided in 2 partitions with a 2GB internal SD partition. With android you should either have plenty of internal SD storage or none at all as many of the apps are unable to detect an external SD with the presence of internal SD.

Why the hell would samsung not just ship the phone with 2GB SD card is beyond me. I dont want to root so sadly this is no longer an option for me.

AndroidFiber

May 29, 2011
guys, any feedback about this phone? whats the performance compared to other samsung android phones.

qzem

Jun 23, 2010
It is hard for me to compare to other samsungs models,cause this is my first samsung,but I can sure say that performance is very satisfying and much better then my previous phone HTC Legend. I like this phone cause it is not to big, it has slick designe,runs very smooth,I can run 3D games without lags. If (when) it will get CyanogenMod it will be even better. With my regular use(some browsing,sms and other fiddling) battery last at least 50 hours or more.

Sent from my GT-I8150 using XDA App

capit@l

Oct 28, 2011
Samsung Galaxy W I8150

:)Hi Erik
I made the exchange

I only put your file in place of the old ( /etc/vold.fstab )

I have to change other things?
so screenshot

tinypic.com/view.php?pic=ra454w&s=5

tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4grqsk&s=5

I tried putting the app in memory 16 gb but if I move it,they go on always(scheda sd by 1,70 gb)
thanks thanks for the help
:eek:

eriksp

Dec 21, 2010
:)
I tried putting the app in memory 16 gb but if I move it,they go on always(scheda sd by 1,70 gb)
thanks thanks for the help
:eek:

Hi,

It is supposed to work this way - when you move app to SD it will go to the /mnt/sdcard/external_sd

If you want the apps moved to /mnt/sdcard you have to change vold.fstab - follwong line:

asec = enable

set asec to enable on partition where you want your apps moved and set it to disable on the second partition. I have not tested this though.

Eriks

PS. I have included modified vold.fstab as attachment. If you want that your apps are moved to /mnt/sdcard when you move them to SD use following mod (then there is little you can use your 1.7 G or of your internal memory now mounted on/mnt/sdcard/external_sd):

Attachments

• mod_app2sd_to_external_bigSD_vold.zip
    534 bytes · Views: 247
Last edited:

zaku90

Nov 14, 2011
help me~~~~ T_T

hi, after i paste the mod vold.fstab to /etc, and i reboot my phone...
after that my SD card and my USB Storage total space become "unavailable"
when i connect to PC, it can't detect the storage...
what i have done wrong and how can i recover from this situation... T_T

can editing the mod vold.fstab to the original state make it normal?? if can, can somebody attached their original file because i accidently forgoten to backup my original file.. T_T

eriksp

Dec 21, 2010
hi, after i paste the mod vold.fstab to /etc, and i reboot my phone...
after that my SD card and my USB Storage total space become "unavailable"
when i connect to PC, it can't detect the storage...
what i have done wrong and how can i recover from this situation... T_T

can editing the mod vold.fstab to the original state make it normal?? if can, can somebody attached their original file because i accidently forgoten to backup my original file.. T_T

I have sent you an email. Original vold.fstab file attached, but keep in mind - it is from MY phone and will not necessary work on yours, especially if the modified one did not.

Attachments

• orig_vold.zip
    534 bytes · Views: 10,257
Reactions: zaku90

irishpancake

May 1, 2011
Small Village
Hi.....

getting this phone as a present for Christmas, from my son.

Just need to ask if there is a SIM Unlock procedure for the Galaxy W i8150??

My present phone, ZTE Blade was sooooo easy to SIM Unlock, and so many ROM's, and ClockworkMod Recovery......it will be hard to get used to not having Recovery, Custom ROMs, etc.......

But, the spec is so good, I am happy to see you guys on the case already.

Thanks in Advance.

BTW: I have also put in a request for a dedicated forum for the Galaxy W i8150 here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1301121

I see we are second on the list now, with 76.....

Samsung Galaxy Gio GT-S5660 x 296
Samsung Galaxy W I8150 x 76
Samsung Galaxy-R i9103 x 73
LG Optimus Me p350 x 66

Last edited:

zaku90

Nov 14, 2011
I have sent you an email. Original vold.fstab file attached, but keep in mind - it is from MY phone and will not necessary work on yours, especially if the modified one did not.

thanks for the file, but i manage to swap the memory, last time i edit it manually and i didnt notice that there is small typing error on the directory, i left behind 1 space...:D

but i face a problem, when i install games, the games that is install on SD card is install on the original internal memory which is the 2Gb which is right now the External memory... is that normal?? can i make it install on the 16Gb SD card which is now the internal memory?? thanks..

*update: i've change the asec = enable for the external sdcard and disable for the internal sdcard, but when i want to move an apps from phone to SD, it says the SD card is full... help me..

Last edited:

qzem

Jun 23, 2010
Hi.....

getting this phone as a present for Christmas, from my son.

Just need to ask if there is a SIM Unlock procedure for the Galaxy W i8150??

My present phone, ZTE Blade was sooooo easy to SIM Unlock, and so many ROM's, and ClockworkMod Recovery......it will be hard to get used to not having Recovery, Custom ROMs, etc.......

But, the spec is so good, I am happy to see you guys on the case already.

Thanks in Advance.

BTW: I have also put in a request for a dedicated forum for the Galaxy W i8150 here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1301121

I see we are second on the list now, with 76.....

I don't know about the sim unlock, but I think it shouldn't be a problem, since samsung has unlocked bootloader and we already gained root access, so this could be done aswell. Don't you wory about the recovery we will get it sooner or later. I've already contaced someone about this, and he is willing to help us on this topic. Also one cyanogenmod developer, already written here (arco68), has written here, that he is going to buy this phone. We need to be patient:).

eriksp

Dec 21, 2010
but i face a problem, when i install games, the games that is install on SD card is install on the original internal memory which is the 2Gb which is right now the External memory... is that normal?? can i make it install on the 16Gb SD card which is now the internal memory?? thanks..

If your biggest worry are games that install on the /mnt/sdcard/external_sd you should not have swapped the external/internal SD.

fcaronte

Nov 4, 2011
Hi all, is possible to create a vold.fstab for mount only the external memory to have only the internal and one external memory?? the swap of memory create instability of system

eriksp

Dec 21, 2010
Hi all, is possible to create a vold.fstab for mount only the external memory to have only the internal and one external memory?? the swap of memory create instability of system

What kind of instability are you experiencing - I have not seen any yet and would like to be prepared :)? Creating such vold.fstab should be easy - just allow asec to external sd and delete internal sd part altogether.

fcaronte

Nov 4, 2011
What kind of instability are you experiencing - I have not seen any yet and would like to be prepared :)? Creating such vold.fstab should be easy - just allow asec to external sd and delete internal sd part altogether.

i haven't the phone but i follow an italian discussion (on the forum telefonino.net) and a man that try the mod vold (1st version) tell that the swap go successfully but the terminal often restart o the app crash and we think to try with a vold witch mount only the external....can you make this mod please??
PS sorry for my english i'm italian :)

eriksp

Dec 21, 2010
For those wanting to move apps to big external SD when it's mapped as /mnt/sdcard - you can try attached vold.fstab - I have not tested it in any way.

Attachments

• vold_fstab_all_to_external_sd_test1.zip
    535 bytes · Views: 83

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm probably going to buy this phone, and if I do, I will definitely try to get CM going on it. I already maintain CM for two other phones, but as they're getting old and it's doubtful that ICS will work properly on them, I need something new to work on. :)
    Hello!

I am an owner of Samsung Galaxy W i8150 and since there is no forum section for this phone yet, I've deceided to open a thread here. Since I'm not a developer, maybe I will become one, but my lack of time and knowlage doesnt help here.

So why I've created this thread? My goal is to find people, whou would develope some stuff for this phone, or at least help me to do it.

What this phone need is a recovery, so we need to port one, maybe CWM recovery would be the best choice. Next thing is a costum rom, preferebly CyanogenMod. I've already make a post there. So far nobody offered me any help or advice regarding that, but I'm an optimist :D.

We already have root access, that can be acchived with this tool, so this could speed things up.

I really don't know how to start porting recovery or cyanogenmod, so some advice, directions and links would really be appreciated. What I've managed to find is a kernel source code and platform soruce code, any one who is willing to help with this, can download this code HERE (it is a dropbox link, so if you can't download it just make a dropbox account).

I hope that someone who has developed some roms for andorid in past will buy this phone, will help with this project.

That's all folks ;)

Have a nice day!

Please vote HERE for a forum section for this phone on XDA! So we could speed things up :).

UPDATE!!!

Developer KezraPlanes has voulontered to port CyanogenMod 7.2.0 (Gingerbread 2.3.7) to this phone, which is a great news for Samsung Galaxy W owners. Next big thing will most probably come from well known developer arco68, he started porting(and we all hope he will continue after gettig his W back from the repair) CM 9 (Ice Cream Sandwich 4.x) on our phone. Lets show those two guys some support, moral or in "beers" :)! Good luck guys!

For happy flashing ;) of new roms that are coming to us you'll need a recovery, which you can find here, thanks to the developer raidzero! I think he would also apreciate your support :)!
    arco68.....it has been a long time I have not been here FYI I have sold off my Tattoo and looking forward to grab this phone this December.

I wish the best of luck and to those joining you in the development and as usual be glad to provide you the feedbacks as usual....

Bring It On CM7 to Galaxy W :)
    Oh hai there mate! :) I still have the Tattoo, but needed something faster and more modern, and this phone seemed like a good choice taking the price into account.

Good news - I have clockworkmod recovery working now. It just needs to be tested a little before release.

I'm not sure it it's worth spending time now working on CM7. Better concentrate on CM9/ICS I think.
    Bad news. I managed to brick my phone after doing some changes to the sd card config for CyanogenMod building. I had the rom up and booting, there was a message about possible corrupt sd card, and when I rebooted the phone was dead. And when I mean dead, it's really dead. Can't turn it on or enter download or recovery mode at all. A developer for the Galaxy S Plus also bricked his phone while doing sd card changes as well. So it seems that Android does some very bad things if the sd card config is not correct, at least on these phones. I'm not sure if I will have the nerves to continue developing on this phone when I get it back from service. One wrong move and it might get bricked again. I'll probably would need some way to bring it back to life again myself, if I were to continue developing on it. And that means getting a JTAG device like the RiffBox.
    Just to remind to all the SGW Development all started here....1st there was a recovery created....RZR..pushed by qzem...then arco68 came to the picture when the source code was made available he started on the kernel coz he had yet (at that time) to buy this device.

Later eriksp shared the memory.card swapping etc.

Then came snake873 with his Italian ROM but he gave up trying n to get it to boot....it does not stop there we are ready to support you when you are ready...

In the duration arco68 managed to get his own CWM Recovery to boot but later got his SGW bricked...

Sent it for repairs and ended up with a mobo replacement n continued on after new year...

Later came The-E with his pictorial of rooting..recovery etc. He has helped me for the first time rooting my phone with stock ROM due to an issue.

BTW not to mention Irishpancake who is always around.....

Then came KezraPlanes with his broken lappy hooked up to a LCD in his attempt to cook a ROM after de-oxeding the stock ROM.

After a few push n encouragement the very first person to have cooked a ROM was KezraPlanes then to my suprise a fellow from my country cowithgun followed the same pace n came along TuxBrothers n Rio Saputro with another cooked ROM...

..Then came qzem to my suprise with another ROM....

I wish to extend to all in bringing this development esp to arco68 for developing the kernels n qzem for creating this thread making our very own thread section to materialize.

And now we wait for the ultimate ROM.....We already have GB maintainers n the brightest star shall be ICS on CM9 platform waiting to be fortified.....

P/S : I apologize to those I have not mentioned here but I will once I have gone thru the entire thread.

PLS DO NOT QUOTE REPLY THIS POST COZ I WILL BE EDITING IT :)

Sent from my GT-I8150 using xda premium