AT&T Preorder Information

Search This thread

Rcf686

Feb 23, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I just got back from my local AT&T store and preordered a black one for my daughter and a Cyan for me. All the reps had them and all were very impressed.

ragingclue

Nov 9, 2008
Ok so I was told by the store that it's $99 on an upgradable line and $349 for an exceptional upgrade.

What doesn't make sense to me is the rumored off-contract price is $449. So, why would anyone even bother with the exceptional upgrade? Or is the off-contract pricing rumor inaccurate?

alodar1

Aug 6, 2007
Auburn, WA
Microsoft Surface Duo
Ok so I was told by the store that it's $99 on an upgradable line and $349 for an exceptional upgrade.

What doesn't make sense to me is the rumored off-contract price is $449. So, why would anyone even bother with the exceptional upgrade? Or is the off-contract pricing rumor inaccurate?

just preordered mine from the store. They cannot order non commits during pre order, only new lines.

---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

just preordered mine from the store. They cannot order non commits during pre order, only new lines.

They attempted to complete the preorder on the noncommit price for me. They quoted me $449. They tried all the tricks they knew, including entering serial numbers from devices in the back. But nothing worked. When they entered a new purchase, it was accepted immediately.

ragingclue

Nov 9, 2008

Yeah I know that; OP put it in the very first post. I was referring to the proximity of the exceptional upgrade price to the no commitment pricing.... If the difference is only $100, why would anyone go the exceptional upgrade route, except for the possibility of receiving the phone a couple days early?

Is the $449 off contract price just a rumor, or has this been officially confirmed yet?

alodar1

Aug 6, 2007
Auburn, WA
Microsoft Surface Duo

---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

They attempted to complete the preorder on the noncommit price for me. They quoted me $449. They tried all the tricks they knew, including entering serial numbers from devices in the back. But nothing worked. When they entered a new purchase, it was accepted immediately.

Another thing, every Rep in the store had phones....no cyan ones, only black. Thats like 25 people. He said the Nokia team came in yesterday and handed one to everyone

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

Yeah I know that; OP put it in the very first post. I was referring to the proximity of the exceptional upgrade price to the no commitment pricing.... If the difference is only $100, why would anyone go the exceptional upgrade route, except for the possibility of receiving the phone a couple days early?

Is the $449 off contract price just a rumor, or has this been officially confirmed yet?

I actually saw it in print, online, I could swear it was a press release...but now that you mention it, I can't be sure. I am sure of what Carlos told me this morning, as he was attempting to enter the no commit into the preorder format...and that was $449. 2 reps, one was the regular rep, the other looked like an mgr...some kind of corporate or regional guy. Both said $449.

The store I was at had brought in some greeters, taking peoples names, etc. I'd not seen that at AT&T before. I was there on the ipad launch, they didn't have that. When I said preorder, they did 1 click and opened the forms. I'd been in the store several times in March, the guy recognized me. I didn't even have to tell him my name...he just pulled it up.

Not sure about your question though. even at $349, that would be a hundred off....still would be a hundred off next sunday, so why not pre order now.

Just recieved my confirm from AT&T: Thank you for your recent AT&T order. Your equipment has been reserved and is expected to ship within the next 3 to 5 business days.

Last edited:

ragingclue

Nov 9, 2008
Not sure about your question though. even at $349, that would be a hundred off....still would be a hundred off next sunday, so why not pre order now.

I guess I'm just pointing out that if the $100 difference is true, I don't think getting hosed into a new contract is worth it. Normally, the no-commit pricing and exceptional upgrade pricing are much further apart, are they not?

IMO, if you don't have a new/upgradable line, wait until you can go into the store and buy it off-contract at launch, especially with the WP8 devices coming along before that 2 years would be up.... Exceptional upgrade in this case is pretty bad.

DanMc85

Jan 6, 2008
USA
I guess I'm just pointing out that if the $100 difference is true, I don't think getting hosed into a new contract is worth it. Normally, the no-commit pricing and exceptional upgrade pricing are much further apart, are they not?

IMO, if you don't have a new/upgradable line, wait until you can go into the store and buy it off-contract at launch, especially with the WP8 devices coming along before that 2 years would be up.... Exceptional upgrade in this case is pretty bad.

yea the $349.99 is correct, exception pricing is available if you are 1. approved for this by a manager and 2. at least 6 months through your current contract and haven't had a previous exception upgrade in the last 12 months.

BONUS: If you live in new england the phone is only $49.99 in all at&t stores instead of $99.99 with 2yr agreement.

alodar1

Aug 6, 2007
Auburn, WA
Microsoft Surface Duo
yea the $349.99 is correct, exception pricing is available if you are 1. approved for this by a manager and 2. at least 6 months through your current contract and haven't had a previous exception upgrade in the last 12 months.

BONUS: If you live in new england the phone is only $49.99 in all at&t stores instead of $99.99 with 2yr agreement.

And add the Walmart price to that too... $49.99
http://www.walmart.letstalk.com/product/product.htm?prId=40714&useDefaultPlan=1

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

Oh ok....I see your point. To Phone Geeks I guess it doesn't matter....I'm getting a WP8 phone too...:eek:

Seed 2.0

Oct 26, 2010
OH-IO
Thanks for keeping me in the loop At$t: :D

Back-Order = Pre-Ordered I assume.

AT&T - Wireless Order Update Notification
Dear ____________,
Thank you for your recent order, we value and appreciate your business. Currently, the item you ordered is on
back order
. We will process your order as soon as product is available. All orders are processed in the order that
they are received. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and appreciate your patience.

You will receive an email as soon as your order is shipped. Please note that the email will contain the shipment tracking number for your convenience.

skier06

Apr 15, 2010
Yeah...just got the same email...hoping it doesn't mean anything

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

hx4700 Killer

Oct 19, 2007
Texas
Ditto, I talked to the folks at the store and asked about that and wondered if it was just due to the fact that this is a pre-order and not because they are actually out of blue which I ordered.

aimfire72

Nov 26, 2010
San Jose
FYI: Preorders can only be done on a new line or upgrade with a new 2 year agreement. No commitment pricing is only available with regular in-store stock after launch, cannot be preordered.

I was able to preorder online at no commitment pricing last night. I am already a current customer, but did not qualify for the upgrade pricing. Just log in to your att account, click upgrade, and it will show you your options.

kirdroid

Feb 21, 2011
Seattle
Dam...I never thought of that!! You're right!

Same here was able to order thru online yesterday afternoon for no commitment price of 449 + tax. Initially went to AT&T store and they said they can't do no contract pre order. I'm 4 months into my current contract and the AT&T rep said if I'm 6 months they can do early upgrade price of $350. For me the no contact price of 450 is better than signing the 2 yr contract and paying early upgrade price of 350.

nokiaqueen

Mar 28, 2012
why are people pre-ordering it from the store when you can get it for free online via AT&T website???

Lmuggs

Jul 4, 2007
How do you figure its free via the AT&T website? nvm... maybe for new AT&T customers but not for upgrades.

Last edited:

937dytboi

Jul 30, 2007
Dayton, Ohio
Im not an ATT customer yet, the salesman said I couldnt preorder the device under no commitment, so I ended up get the contract. Also wouldnt let me get my discount unless I signed an agreement

DanMc85

Jan 6, 2008
USA
I was able to preorder online at no commitment pricing last night. I am already a current customer, but did not qualify for the upgrade pricing. Just log in to your att account, click upgrade, and it will show you your options.

I only had the in-store options posted if you noticed, not online lol... they weren't originally going to have online preorders.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Any mention of the off contract price?

I thought in their press release, ATT said $449
    If u have the iPhone 4s and used the sim card that came with it, you won't need a new sim, just pop it into the Nokia and call AT&T, have them switch you over to the LTE plan. That's what I did when i had my htc vivid, LTE pick up as soon as I restart the phone, no need to change sim card, sold my vivid, put the sim back into the iPhone 4s and Internet still works, I'm currently still on the LTE plan. You won't have to switch back to the iPhone plan just to get the Internet to work. Fyi
    Cant believe people are cancelling and complaining they weren't going to get it tomorrow. I didn't order mine until 3/31 and bought it off contract and I still haven't gotten an email yet.

Checked ATT site and mine has shipped and will be here tomorrow. Relax people!!!

People are just paranoid .. They always ship overnight and the shipping emails will go out late in evening.