Motorola Atrix Lapdock with Odroid U2

Search This thread

JerryBYong

Aug 20, 2012
Hi, I don't personally own a atrix, but I have ordered a lap dock in the hopes of making a laptop with the Odroid U2 board. However, the U2 requires 5v 2A to power it. I was wondering how I could draw 2A from the lapdock.

Jerry

sheennick123456

Dec 5, 2007
MUMBAI
Hi, I don't personally own a atrix, but I have ordered a lap dock in the hopes of making a laptop with the Odroid U2 board. However, the U2 requires 5v 2A to power it. I was wondering how I could draw 2A from the lapdock.

Jerry

I own an imito MX2 tv stick and it also needs 5V-2A power supply. And i get that from lapdocks USB port only issue i had was with the cheapo USB cable that came with device... i used one of the better once i already had and it works no problem

So I guess it should be hassle free for you too... just make sure you use a good cable

96shox

Apr 1, 2011
So Cal
Any updates on this? I have an atrix dock i bought for modding but haven't touched yet. This u2 looks amazing.

On a side note it makes you question the price and size of desktops. For $180 imagine 2 of these were combined, 8core, 4gb ram....

Posted from Tapatalk 2 app

JerryBYong

Aug 20, 2012
Really glad someone replied to this thread.

First off, I did some digging around the hardkernel forums and found out that you could indeed power the U2 off the lapdock micro-usb just fine.
Second, in reply to 96shox, the new Samsung S4 is rumoured to have a eight-core processor and I believe the future generations of the U2/X2 will use something like that and probably with 4gb RAM. So it may be a good idea to wait a while if you can :)

JerryBYong

Aug 20, 2012
I own an imito MX2 tv stick and it also needs 5V-2A power supply. And i get that from lapdocks USB port only issue i had was with the cheapo USB cable that came with device... i used one of the better once i already had and it works no problem

So I guess it should be hassle free for you too... just make sure you use a good cable

You are using the micro-usb on the lapdock right?

ifyoucare

May 24, 2011
Lapdock Help needed

Got Lapdock for 70~ dollars from ebay 2 weeks back. After reading so many blogs and viewing youtube videos, I thought my Raspberry Pi model B could be put for good use along with some of the awesome hacks I found on this site. BTW i also have a nexus one and recently a nexus 4. So naturally all this holds a place in the Lapdock realm of things to be connected to. My question is I have got the following wires after a lot of thought, could some one here tell me if this will work:

1. Raspberry Pi Model B

2. Lapdock Atrix 4G

3. Micro HDMI female -> HDMI Female Coupler as found here cgi <dot> ebay <dot> com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140943218129

4.Micro USB female to Micro USB Male Charger cable from Ebay

5. HDMI Male to Male coupler.

6. HDMI Male to Male extension Cable 3 feet

Idea is
1. Using Raspberry pi Connect #3 item above and #4 item to Lapdock. Then #5 sits on #3 and to #5 I connect the Rasp Pi. For power and control #4 to RaspPi. Will this work?
2. Laptop second monitor. Using #3 and #6 connect HDMI Male to Laptop and use.
3. Using Nexus 4: Need to buy either a Miracast receiver or a Slimport and hope it works. (Do I need to root the phone, if yes what is the ROM preferred?)
4. Using Nexus One: Not yet figured a way but as of now will not work.
5. For PS3 : Same way using #3 and #6.

I got the wires and plugs today. Sadly the #1 above does not work :(

I plugged in the Micro HDMI female -> HDMI Female Coupler to lapdock and then HDMI Male to Male extension Cable 3 feet to Raspberry Pi and powered Rasp PI with all possible means (Power from mains as well). Sadly when I opened up the lapdock nothing really happened. Blank Screen!!! :( :( I even ensured that the Lapdock is fully charged. If I press that little button below the opening slot it shows 5 tiny white LED's . But does this not have any kind of Power ON button. I opened the screen and try to use the USB at the back as a power source for my Raspberry Pi, sadly that too did not power ON. :(

Is the Lapdock DOA?? Better not be as I got in Ebay and dont know how to deal with it OR is Part #3 the culprit.

Any way to check if the Lapdock is dead with what I have before I order another round of wires. FML, all the enthusiasm went down with this.

Help please.

lrussell851

Jun 12, 2013
My Odroid U2 + Lapdock

Hi,

I know this is a late reply...

I just got my odroid U2 + lapdock project working last night so I figured I'd share the result. I used the bionic lapdock btw.

I'ts completely mobile. I was able to power the odroid off of one of the lapdock USB ports. The other USB port has a 4 port hub attached that contains the wifi and bluetooth adapter. The micro usb is connected the one of the USB ports on the odroid and has the power wire disconnected. It works in connecting all USB ports and the keyboard/mouse pad from the lapdock. The HDMI works for both the video and audio and is running at 720p.

I installed linaro 12.11 and all updates, including mali drivers, onto the odroid U2.

The only disadvantage is that the lapdock USB ports only supply power when the screen is opened so if you close the screen the power to the board is cut. Besides that it's running flawlessly!

Also, I used an old Nintendo 64 power supply for the "case", the odroid fan is mounted on top. I don't recommend it because it took a lot of modding to make it work. I removed the heat sink that comes with the odroid and put small copper heat sinks onto the chips which works great and doesn't overheat.

So I'm attaching the pics, most important part lol. By the way it's ugly.

Attachments

• lapdock.jpg
    lapdock.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 903
  • lapdock_front_1.jpg
    lapdock_front_1.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 732

BigJeff

Jun 4, 2011
Stanwood
Hi,

I just got my odroid U2 + lapdock project working last night so I figured I'd share the result. I used the bionic lapdock btw.

I'ts completely mobile. I was able to power the odroid off of one of the lapdock USB ports. The other USB port has a 4 port hub attached that contains the wifi and bluetooth adapter. The micro usb is connected the one of the USB ports on the odroid and has the power wire disconnected. It works in connecting all USB ports and the keyboard/mouse pad from the lapdock. The HDMI works for both the video and audio and is running at 720p.

I installed linaro 12.11 and all updates, including mali drivers, onto the odroid U2.

The only disadvantage is that the lapdock USB ports only supply power when the screen is opened so if you close the screen the power to the board is cut. Besides that it's running flawlessly!

Also, I used an old Nintendo 64 power supply for the "case", the odroid fan is mounted on top. I don't recommend it because it took a lot of modding to make it work. I removed the heat sink that comes with the odroid and put small copper heat sinks onto the chips which works great and doesn't overheat.

I've been thinking about doing something like this for a while! I'll PM you later on my ideas for this. Thanks for taking the plunge first my man!

crack.mech

Jun 12, 2011
Ambala/Bangalore
Any updates on this? I have an atrix dock i bought for modding but haven't touched yet. This u2 looks amazing.

On a side note it makes you question the price and size of desktops. For $180 imagine 2 of these were combined, 8core, 4gb ram....

Posted from Tapatalk 2 app

Exactly what was on my mind. Though I am expecting newer versions of U2 by the end of 2013 or start 2014, which would sport new exynos 5. Lets hope for the best. :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My Odroid U2 + Lapdock

Hi,