[HELP THREAD] Samsung Galaxy S4 T Mobile Version | Ask ANY Question | Noob Friendly

Search This thread

crawler9

Mar 30, 2010
Ohio
Is it possible to obtain a logcat on Touchwiz ROMs? I'm trying to get some information related to a bug I'm experiencing in an application so I can forward the logcat to the developer, but I've been unable to get a logcat. I've tried using apps from the Play Store, such as alogcat and catlog, using ADB to view/save a log from my PC, and using LOGCATTOOL(3.1).exe which I found somewhere on these forums. My result is always either a blank file, or the following message:
Code:
Unable to open log device '/dev/log/main': No such file or directory

I have USB debugging enabled, and am running Wicked v3 with Faux123's kernel. I found an area in the developer options allowing me to choose an app to debug, but only three apps are present of my 20+ installed apps and none of them are the app I about which I am trying to capture a log.

The app in question, though probably not relevant, is Juicedefender.

I'd also submit a logcat of my inability to capture a logcat, but if I was able to do that, I wouldn't be posting this question in the first place! :silly:

Reactions: Skipjacks

Skipjacks

Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore
Is it possible to obtain a logcat on Touchwiz ROMs? I'm trying to get some information related to a bug I'm experiencing in an application so I can forward the logcat to the developer, but I've been unable to get a logcat. I've tried using apps from the Play Store, such as alogcat and catlog, using ADB to view/save a log from my PC, and using LOGCATTOOL(3.1).exe which I found somewhere on these forums. My result is always either a blank file, or the following message:
Code:
Unable to open log device '/dev/log/main': No such file or directory

I have USB debugging enabled, and am running Wicked v3 with Faux123's kernel. I found an area in the developer options allowing me to choose an app to debug, but only three apps are present of my 20+ installed apps and none of them are the app I about which I am trying to capture a log.

The app in question, though probably not relevant, is Juicedefender.

I'd also submit a logcat of my inability to capture a logcat, but if I was able to do that, I wouldn't be posting this question in the first place! :silly:

I thanked your posts because this line made me laugh. Thank you for that!

Anyway I didn't have my phone for 20 minutes before Touchwiz was removed and Cyanogen was installed so I can't tell you the answer. Logging does need to be enabled in the kernel and it's possible that Touchwiz or whatever other ROM you are using has disabled it. But I don't know.

You are taking the long route to try and pull a log though.

Get Lumberjack from Google Play. Easy link. If you don't like that app, there are a billion more logcat apps that will pull the logs simply and easily.

Skipjacks

Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore
Anyone here manage to run 3minit on their phone here?

I haven't, but then I haven't tried to either.

On Google Play it says the app is only for the i9505 International variant of the S4.

It only works if you are rooted anyway, so since you are rooted make a nandroid backup and give it a try. I can't imagine there is anything 3minit could break that a nandroid restore wouldn't easily fix. It's not messing with firmware or anything.

So give it a shot! If it works let us know as I'm sure that would be really exciting information to the community! :good:

N1rve

Jun 13, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S4 Sound Clip

Hi:

Does anyone know where to find the Samsung Galaxy shutting down sound?

Thanks.

toxicpaulution

Oct 27, 2011
Lykens
I am currently on AT&T with an AT&T phone. If I put a tmobile sim in would I still get T-Mobile LTE? I'm asking because a friend might buy mine and if he buys it he'd want the LTE. so is it possible? And if so what apn setting would I use?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

lalec

Apr 30, 2008
Houston, Texas
Dropbox problems

The phone came with a free 50 GB dropbox account. When using Titanium Backup Pro to sync to dropbox, the sync gets interrupted by server errors every few minutes. I have to restart the sync 7 or 8 times to get it to sync the complete backup to dropbox. Does anyone know the solution to this?

Skipjacks

Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore
I am currently on AT&T with an AT&T phone. If I put a tmobile sim in would I still get T-Mobile LTE? I'm asking because a friend might buy mine and if he buys it he'd want the LTE. so is it possible? And if so what apn setting would I use?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

You can get the phone to physically work on the t mobile network. And it will get data, but I don't think you can get full LTE. I think you can get fast speed, but not top speed.

There is a thread around here somewhere discussing exactly what you are trying to do. I can't seem to find it though. But I know its here!

One thing I'm certain of is that it is not as simple as just switching sims. You have to do some modding.

Sent from your phone. You should be careful where you leave that thing.

Last edited:

Skipjacks

Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore
The phone came with a free 50 GB dropbox account. When using Titanium Backup Pro to sync to dropbox, the sync gets interrupted by server errors every few minutes. I have to restart the sync 7 or 8 times to get it to sync the complete backup to dropbox. Does anyone know the solution to this?

Do you get the same error on mobile data and WiFi?

Do you get these interruptions when using other apps that use the internet? Try streaming audio for 20 minutes and see if it glitches. If all your net use is smooth on other apps I'd think that neither drop box is having an issue or titanium has a flaw that prevents large data transfers.

You could also take your titanium backup files and manually transfer the directory to drop box and see if it goes smoothly that way. If it does, titanium is the problem.

Reactions: tiaza2

Skipjacks

Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore
Maybe I am blind but I see no notification light..

Top left corner of the phone. Its hidden behind the backing on the glass so you can only see it when its turned on.

Try sending yourself a text message then turn the screen off without touching the message. See if the notification light comes on then.

richardlibeau

Feb 19, 2012
Albemarle, NC
Definitely not noob here but was just wondering if anybody has come up with the script yet like in the S2 and S3 forums to switch storage space internal for external? I really need to switch mine as soon as possible and haven't found anything or anyway myself to do it yet. I made a modified script for the S2 that worked great but the voldstab file for this S4 is not as easy to change it seems.

Skipjacks

Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore
Definitely not noob here but was just wondering if anybody has come up with the script yet like in the S2 and S3 forums to switch storage space internal for external? I really need to switch mine as soon as possible and haven't found anything or anyway myself to do it yet. I made a modified script for the S2 that worked great but the voldstab file for this S4 is not as easy to change it seems.

Im not familiar with this.

Are you saying it turns the external sd into the main sd and the internal into the secondary?

If that is what you are saying then yeah...I want that too!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

cgonz905

Jun 20, 2013
Hi everyone, I'm having trouble putting CM10 on my T-Mobile Galaxy S4.

I'm following the tutorial on: wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Build_for_jfltetmo

And I have a question: I've gotten to the point where I have to enter
Code:
repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b cm-10.1
followed by
Code:
repo sync

I've done that, but nothing happens. I'm running Lubuntu 13.04 if that helps. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Skipjacks

Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore
Hi everyone, I'm having trouble putting CM10 on my T-Mobile Galaxy S4.

I'm following the tutorial on: wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Build_for_jfltetmo

And I have a question: I've gotten to the point where I have to enter
Code:
repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b cm-10.1
followed by
Code:
repo sync

I've done that, but nothing happens. I'm running Lubuntu 13.04 if that helps. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

You are doing this the hard way.

Are you rooted with a recovery installed? If so just boot to recovery, do a full wipe, and flash the cm10.zip file. Once you have recovery installed the whole process takes no more than 5 minutes, and 4 of those minutes are waiting for the file to flash and then for the phone to boot the first time. There is less than 1 minute of actually button pressing you need to do.

If you aren't rooted with a recovery installed, do that first. Use Odin if you have a Windows PC or With does partition on your Linux machine (I always keep a 10GB windows partition on my laptop for just these kinds of reasons). When you add in the rooting with Odin process it ups the entire proceedure to 8 minutes instead of 5.

cgonz905

Jun 20, 2013
You are doing this the hard way.

Are you rooted with a recovery installed? If so just boot to recovery, do a full wipe, and flash the cm10.zip file. Once you have recovery installed the whole process takes no more than 5 minutes, and 4 of those minutes are waiting for the file to flash and then for the phone to boot the first time. There is less than 1 minute of actually button pressing you need to do.

If you aren't rooted with a recovery installed, do that first. Use Odin if you have a Windows PC or With does partition on your Linux machine (I always keep a 10GB windows partition on my laptop for just these kinds of reasons). When you add in the rooting with Odin process it ups the entire proceedure to 8 minutes instead of 5.

No, I'm not rooted. I don't know how to. The only thing I've done is backup my phone. Is there a way I can do this from Linux? Or do I have to make a Windows partition?

Skipjacks

Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore
No, I'm not rooted. I don't know how to. The only thing I've done is backup my phone. Is there a way I can do this from Linux? Or do I have to make a Windows partition?

Heimdall is an Odin replacement for Linux, but I do not know if it works with the GS4 yet. You would have to research that.
If you can make a windows partition, or quite frankly just use someone else's windows computer, this takes 5 minutes. And its non invasive to the windows machine if you borrow someone else's. You just need to show up with a USB cord and you will be done quickly.

JinxTheCat

May 11, 2013
Albuquerque
Missing charge to carrier

I have a question after flashing a rom I am missing charge to carrier option in Play Store? Is there away to bring it back also I tried everything like even going back in my backups it's just gone.

cgonz905

Jun 20, 2013
Heimdall is an Odin replacement for Linux, but I do not know if it works with the GS4 yet. You would have to research that.
If you can make a windows partition, or quite frankly just use someone else's windows computer, this takes 5 minutes. And its non invasive to the windows machine if you borrow someone else's. You just need to show up with a USB cord and you will be done quickly.

Well I got a hold of a Windows machine and downloaded Odin on it. But there are so many options to choose from. What do I do if I want my end result to be a GS4 with CM10 on it?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    help.png

Hello T Mobile Galaxy S4 users! I've taken this thread idea from Marlybru, one of the most helpful Recognized Contributors on XDA, who got the idea from Undercover, just to give proper credit where it is due.

The HTC Sensation has had an ongoing Noob Help thread for more than a year now and it's been an invaluable resource to people of all skills levels looking for answers to questions that might get flamed if asked anywhere else.

There are a lot of people joining XDA on daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked which fill up Development Threads and the main Q&A Forum. Post those questions here!.

First things first. I strongly advise you to read this thread before posting ANYTHING ANYWHERE on XDA.

Second
    The SEARCH button is your best friend. It will go to war with you. It will tuck you in at night. It lives to serve you! Use it! Almost any question you can think up has already been answered on XDA. Before posting in threads see if the Search Button will fine the answer for you. If you can't find the answer or if you don't understand the answer, then come here and the community will do all it can to help you figure it out.

Third. Re-read the Second thing. This cannot be stressed enough.

Fourth. Don't just come here to ask questions. Come back to help others! In a fairly short time many of you who come to this thread to ask super noobie questions will start to get pretty proficient at Android modding. Please keep coming back to this thread to help the next wave of rookies that are coming after you. Remember, you needed your hand held once, pay it forward by holding someone else's hand.

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE
    Odin, ROM's, rooting help etc...... you will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

Please, be aware of the model of your phone when asking questions.

This thread and this entire forum deals with the T Mobile Variant of the Samsung Galaxy S4 model SSGH - M919.

Other Samsung Galaxy S4 Variants

No abuse towards noobs or silly questions is tolerated here!

There is no such thing as a dumb question in this thread. If you need to ask how to take the back cover off your phone or how to wipe cache, feel free to ask it here. All questions are welcome.

If you engage in noob bashing here because someone asked a simple question I will search your post history and find the posts you made when you first signed up here about which button turns your phone on and post them here for everyone to laugh at. (By the way, go take a look at my rookie posts. There are some doozies.)

Everyone was new here once,so Noobs New users, please take the time to familiarize yourselves with how things work in the forum by reading this helpful guide. I linked this above, but it's such a great guide on how to be a great XDA Community Member that it's worth linking it twice.

As development continues and we start seeing patterns of repeat questions I'll link answers to the most common questions here in the first couple posts of the thread. So keep an eye out for those updates over the next several months.
    Some of the most common questions....

What is the difference between the S4 Development Forum and the S4 Original Development Forum?
    The regular development forum is for ROMs based on Samsung's Touchwiz version of Android
    The original development forum is for AOSP or other based non Touchwiz ROMs, recoveries, and such

What is Odin?
    Odin is a program that lets you flash things to a Samsung mobile device from a PC. It's an invaluable part of modding Samsung devices.
    Here is a guide by k0nana about how to use Odin. You can find download links for the software there as well as a few other things.

If you need a little more detail on how to use Odin this is a more detailed write up by Intratech explaining how to use it. (Note, do not download and try to install anything from this thread. That is a thread with GS3 files. If you try to put those on your GS4 you will not be happy. This thread is for information on Odin ONLY!)

How do I root my Galaxy S4?
    CF-Auto Root by Chainfire

What ROMs are there for the T Mobile GS4?

Here's a big list of them with links all organized in one place. Thanks to MT3G.

What recoveries are available for the T Mobile SGS4?
    ClockworkMod
    TWRP
    PhilZTouch
    OUDHS

What are all these installed apps on the stock ROM that I don't know anything about?
    That could be bloatware. Stuff T Mobile and Samsung put on there for a variety of reasons. See this list by Xologist explaining what all those APK's are.

How come my 16GB phone says I have only 5GB available even though I just flashed a fresh ROM?

First off, you never had 16GB free. That's the total memory on the device. That includes the space for the ROM, recovery, bootloader, system files, data, and then what's left over is your user partition which is abou 11GB for you to put photos and music on.

But if you make a nandroid backup using Clockwork Mod Recovery it saves the backup in a hidden directory that uses up a lot of space. (About 1 GB for an AOSP backup and 2 or 3GB for a TouchWiz backup). You can use the CWM Recovery App to find and upload the backup to your computer over Wifi for safe storage. Or you can just delete he backup if you no longer need it.

I bought a phone off Craigslist and the IMEI is bad!

You learned a valuable lesson. Don't buy phones off Craigslist. And don't try to change your IMEI. It is illegal to do so. And don't ask XDA how to change it because we can't discuss that here.

However, if you haven't bought you used phone yet and you are worried about it having a bad IMEI, have the seller meet you at a T Mobile store and get the sales rep to verify its a clean phone with no outstanding payment due and that the IMEI won't be blocked in the future. Just be sure that YOU pick the store to meet at. Don't let the seller pick the store in case he has a T Mobile rep working with him.

THESE POSTS / ARTICLES SHOULD BE CONSIDERED REQUIRED READING FOR ALL NEW ANDROID USERS!!!

http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile...plained-boot-system-recovery-data-cache-misc/This is a great write up of how Android is organized under the hood. This is invaluable knowledge to help you get better not just at modding your phone, but for really understanding wha you're doing.

This post by The TechnoCrat explains what most of the common words and phrases you will hear around XDA mean. Things like 'Kernel' and 'Clock Speed' and 'Governors'. If you don't know what terms like that mean, do yourself a favor and read this post. It is like the Rosetta Stone to understanding 95% of threads on XDA.

Another great post by Technocrat that explains the difference between the various available governors.
    Why exactly does most everyone recommend to let a ROM sit for 5 minutes then reboot on a fresh install?

The same reason they say not to swim for an hour after you eat. Because that's what someone else told them and it became urban legend with no basis in reality. (And yes, it is perfectly safe to swim after eating.)

The idea is that the ROM is still installing and 'settling in' for 5-10 minutes after first boot. And that doign other operations interferes with that process.

The reality is that the final stages of a ROM install are that part where it says ANDROID IS UPGRADING during the first boot. When that's done the ROM is installed and ready to use. And even if it did still need to 'settle in' after that it's a computer. It performs operations exactly to spec every time. So you can't really interfere with it by using it. If you tak eup processor time so that a 'settle in' operation cant' complete right away it will just wait a second and perform that task later. That's what the I/O scheduler in the kernel is for.

Additionally this is an ancient rumor, which in the Android world means like 2 years, from the days of single core processors with slow speeds. (You remember the Froyo Android devices that had vacuum tubes and cooling fans, right?) So that final push to finish installing maybe took a little time on those older devices. But on a quad core processor device that has more computing power than more of the old computers you have around your house? That final 'settle in' process would take seconds, even though it doesn't really exist.

So that's why this is out there. It's the same as "calibrating the battery stats" that everyone thinks is so important. Someone said to do it, others believed them, and the next thing you know people assume it's Android Gospel. But it's all just sillyness.
    Thread stuck, no trolling, flaming, or off-topic banter please, this is a development site and is here to further development.

Report violations of XDA posting rules immediately and have fun with your contributions.
    Noob here with some questions!

Is it really possible to install CM without rooting? And if they don't recommend it, does that mean I should unroot before following the instructions?

Yes. It's completely possible. And easy. Let's clarify what a few thigns mean first...

"Rooting" means giving you access to the system partition of the phone storage. That means the files that run the phone itself as opposed to just your personal data. This is done with an app called Superuser that kind of acts as a gate keeper between the system partition adn the rest of the storage. The only thing that 'rooting' does is install the Superuser app as a system app just like all the apps that came on the phone when you bought it like the phone app and the messenger app, etc (Instead of as a user app like everything you download from the Play store). That's it. Nothing else.

Once that Superuser app is installed it allows or denies permission for other apps to access the system partition of the device. (It prompts you each time an app wants to access the system partition and asks you if you want to lef t it)

If you root the phone using CF Auto Root, again you are only installing the Superuser app. Nothing else. But once the Superuser app is installed you can then use an app like ROM Manager to install a recovery. You will tell ROM Manager to install a recovery and you will get a pop up promot from Superuser saying "Do you really want to let ROM Manager have root access?" You say yes, and it will install the custom recovery.

Recovery is sort of like a mini operating system you can boot into instead of the phone. From inside recovery you always have full root access. You can do anything. Install anything, wipe anything, etc. So once recovery is installed you can then wipe the phone clean and install CyanogenMod.

Doing this will wipe out the Superuser app you installed with CF Auto Root because you will wipe the system partition clean. But it will install a new set of system files in the same sopt and a new copy of Superuser will be included. (Actually on CM10 Superuser is integrated into the ROM framework, but same thing...) So when you boot into CyanogenMod for the first time you will already be rooted and have Superuser. (Well, you'll have the ability to get Superuser. On CM you have check a box in settings to give you root access, but it's as easy as that. No fancy stuff. It's disabled by default.)

What the CyanogenMod team is saying is that since you need Odin or Heimdal to install Superuser using CF Auto Root just so you can use ROM Manager to then flash a recovery, you may as well just use Odin or Heimdal to install a recovery. Then boot right into recovery and flash CyanogenMod.

The short version of all this is that if you ant to go right from bone unrooted stock to CyanogenMod, rooting it first is just an extra step. It won't hurt, but it doesn't help either. Just adds extra steps and time to the process. But there's a downside to doing that, which ties in nicely with your next question....

Doesn't a Nandroid backup make an image of your phone, so you don't need TB to back up apps too?

A Nandroid is a full backup of everything. It's like you're own little custom flashable ROM. The data from it isn't really usable unless you flash the entire thing to restore the phone to the same exact state it was in when you made the nandroid.

In other words, while a nandroid will back up all your user and app data, it's not putting it into a usable form for restoring after installing a new ROM. There are apps that let you extract data from a nandroid but it's a pain in the butt.

By rooting the phone first using CF Auto Root and installing Titanium Backup on the stock ROM, you can back up all your apps and user data. Then wipe the phone clean, install CyanogenMod, then install Titanium again and boom...your saved app data will show up in Titanium ready to be restored!

Read up on how to change the storage location in Titanium form EXT SD Card ot Legacy after installing CyanogenMod though or you'll get errors in Titanium. It's super easy. It's just a setting in Titanium. But you have to do it because it's set wrong by default.

CyanogenMod's website says to use "ClockworkMod Recovery, and the Heimdall Suite," is ClockworkMod the same as Nandroid backup?

:confused::silly:

No. Yes. Kind of.

A nandroid backup is a saved version of your entire phone. Ssyem data, user data, settings, text messages, contacts, apps, etc....it's like a 'system restore point' if you'd care to use Windows XP jargon.

ClockworkMod is the thing that lets you make a Nandroid backup. You will also see discussion of TWRP Recovery and PhilzTouch. Same thing.