Top layer of the screen cracked, poor build quality?

Search This thread

tobr

Dec 30, 2010
Now I can see how lucky I was with my quick and easy reclamation of top screen fault of my folio.

Anyway how should an unhappy folio user notice the gapping screen, if it is completely covered with original lether toshiba case. I noticed the gap from the very beginning but not realized the meaning of it. Then I continued using it but having heavy problems with bad response of the bottom part of the screen.
After reading your post, I removed folio from lether case and started inspection of the gap. And only then I noticed the relation between the gap and responsivness and that the gap is getting worse.

So that in my opinion, you as a customer couldn't noticed tha gap before it cracked, if using a lether case and not inspecting tablet very carefuly daily. I wouldn't.

thepretorian

Jan 31, 2008
Brussels
Well as an gadget freak you usually inspect every inch of a device. But at that moment you wouldn't expect that the unevenness of the screen will cause so much trouble.

I am very careful with my things since I know they are not some cheap or clone device of some brand. And that is what you expect when you buy a brand like Toshiba, good quality, service and support. They sure prove the difference now. Whether I called it in before or after the crack, the bulging out is still the reason of the crack. And now they are saying it is my fault and that I have dropped something on the screen to crack it and refuse to repair it under warranty.

That is strange, since the crack does not even match a crack where you have dropped something onto. And there are no other damages or scratches on the devices linked with such kind of drop. A couple days before they couldn't even tell me a reason and they could only say "why didn't you contact us from the moment you noticed the bulging?".

Be sure I will get through this till the end, this is really unacceptable. If they can do that to me, they can do that to anyone else. Shame on you Toshiba!!!
Anyone with other advise or feedback regarding this? Also new Folio users, check your device for the problem and post it here. Together we are strong against such multinational ****.

Luckily I got pics from the device before I sent it in. Lets see what kind of prove they have now... grrrr

sylvain_inria

Dec 5, 2010
Same trouble for me, my screen broke, at the same place than you... :mad: One picture is available here : h.t.t.p://forum.frandroid.com/topic/46180-fragilite-de-lecran/ . Answers you received from Toshiba are not acceptable! There is definitely a conception issue...

thepretorian

Jan 31, 2008
Brussels
*high five brother!*
Am I glad I'm not the only one anymore!!! Yea their answer is really unacceptable and trying to avoid their responsibility. They are blaming me for braking the glass and saying its my fault. File in a complain at your local ECC

http://www.europe-consommateurs.eu/fr/

And put this topic and your topic as reference at http://forum.frandroid.com/topic/46180-fragilite-de-lecran/

Gonna report this to my local ECC that there are new "evidences" ;)

Whatever Toshiba/Pegatron tells you, do not accept it. Refuse to make any decisions that does not benefits your warranty conditions.

For others from XDA, here you have the picture that my French colleague has taken of his broken Folio.... Notice the similarity?
http://img138.imageshack.us/i/ecranfolio100.png/

Last edited:

fmc0

Feb 3, 2011
Near St.Gallen
mhh i noticed that just yesterday, my screen also comes loose but in the middle of the bottom. at the moment its just half an mm, and i can push it bak in where it stays for 10 minutes and then starts to loosen again. hope it doesn't get worse...

thepretorian

Jan 31, 2008
Brussels
@fmc0

Contact your seller as soon as possible to get it repaired or replaced. Or you'll have the same problem as me and Toshiba is refusing to repair it or take their responsibility.

thepretorian

Jan 31, 2008
Brussels
@fmc0
I bought mine at the place where I work too, but still refusing it. So don't count on it too much.

As for today, I just received an email from Toshiba EU support with a docx attachment of Pegatron CZ. In that attachment it states that it is a CID (Customer induced damage) because the touchscreen is broken. And saying to check the attached picture... what picture? I don't see anything...

Also they are confirming my address with an unknown address that is clearly not mine. I checked it out with google maps and it's a book printing company on that address. First I though it could be the address of the repair center of the store where I took it in. *way to go Pegatron!*

Of course more standard stuff are written like, if within 48hours no decision is made, your device will be sent back to the customer.
I just informed them about the case in France, saying that this could not be just a coincidence anymore. 2 broken screen on the same spot with a difference of max 2cm. 2 individuals, living far far far away from each other are having the same problem, and is sure that it is a design / assembly error of Toshiba...

And still they are sticking with their CID story, that the customer broke it. :rolleyes:

Do they really think I have nothing better to do than following up this? Use some common sense Pegatron/Toshiba! *sigh*

And they are still forgetting about the first 6 month condition of the European warranty Law.

The legal guarantee does apply for two years everywhere in Europe. This needs to be qualified, however, depending on whether the problem appears before or after the first six months following the purchase.

If a fault appears within the first six months following your purchase, the seller is presumed to be liable. However, if the seller can prove that the fault is due to incorrect use, then he cannot be held liable.

After this six month period it is still possible for you to hold the seller liable, but if the seller disputes this, then you will have to prove that the fault existed when the product was supplied, which is usually difficult. In the majority of the cases you will have to call upon an expert.

Its them that has to prove it is the customers fault and not just saying its a CID. When I ask what could be the reason that the glass would be broken according you guys... They just can't give me an explanation on how it could happen, except those standard stuff like... you dropped something on it, you dropped the device, etc...

I have provided them enough evidence that it is not my fault, it should be the other way around... they giving me the prove that it is my fault.
Also keep in mind, the screen still works perfectly when I took it in, no spots, no breaches, nothing. The damage is just the top layer of the screen which I think it should be the digitizer (touchscreen part above the screen itself).

edit:
Checked my online phone bill... 7,08EUR not billed yet, which makes about 19.84EUR (for 1.5h max(with70% of being put on hold) of calling to them and 4-5 times in total) in total that I spent on calling Toshiba... with a fixed land-line (not using my mobile when I'm calling them). They sure are trying everything to get money from you sigh... Be sure I will fill in a claim to refund my phone bill costs

Last edited:

fmc0

Feb 3, 2011
Near St.Gallen
Just talked with the buyer for our store,Toshiba switzerland knows nothing about our Problem. she told me to wait to send it in. If the screen cracks in the meanwhile our firm will Cover the repair.
On our demo device the screen is loose from the middle to the right bottomside. So its way worse than mine.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

thepretorian

Jan 31, 2008
Brussels
Lucky you! :(
It is the same with the demo device at the store, weird that others does not have this problem. So it must be a bad batch or something... or the batch from UK that was pulled out from sales a couple months ago because people were returning it after 1-2 weeks :p

fmc0

Feb 3, 2011
Near St.Gallen
i took a closer look at our demo device couse the gap is bigger than the device at home, and it looks like the screen is glued in(or we had some customers with very dirty hands). if its just glued in, i'll try to get some glue from our tv repair site;)(we repair tvs inhouse) cause i know they are glued in with some kind of special tape, and it looks similar. will check this out tomorrow.

thepretorian

Jan 31, 2008
Brussels
Well I would wait for doing anything to your Folio until this mess with Toshiba is cleared. Cuz when you are going to return it under warranty they might tell you its CID and blame you for the damage. I know they are good at that :rolleyes:

thepretorian

Jan 31, 2008
Brussels
So yesterday I mailed back to Toshiba AND Pegatron about the problem regarding the screen and also reported the issue of our French colleague to Pegatron/Toshiba saying that this can not just be an coincident anymore. 2 devices, same problem, etc. along with other thing like mentioning that ECC is on the case.

Since my tablet was sent in, I'm checking the RMA pages from Toshiba and the store daily. To my surprise today, something happened on the RMA page of Toshiba. It says:

Please find below the parts ordered to repair your unit and the expected delivery date:
Part Number Part Description Expected Delivery Date * Trackingnumber
PA3895E-1ET1 TABLET
http://img690.imageshack.us/i/partnumber.jpg/

Does this means they are giving in and repairing the screen under warranty condition? :rolleyes:

Edit:
When you look up that part number its just the Folio 100 itself, so I'm getting a new one (replaced)?

http://www.comx.co.za/Buy-Notebooks...HIBA-Tablet-Folio-100-Touch-scre-lp-37271.php
PA3895E-1ET1

Edit2:
They are sure busy at Pegatron... weird update of the status

The following hardware information has been found:
Model
FOLIO 100 EU
Please find below the following repair status of this Service Request:
Current State Description
Closed Resolved Closed Resolved
Please find below the history of this Service Request:
Date Status
19.01.2011 12:13 New
19.01.2011 15:07 Box not necessary
17.02.2011 08:48 def. Option Arrival
28.02.2011 14:42 Option sent out
02.03.2011 11:56 Closed Resolved

Please find below the parts ordered to repair your unit and the expected delivery date:
Part Number Part Description Expected Delivery Date * Trackingnumber
PA3895E-1ET1 TABLET GE6998xxxxxxx ( TNT )
Did they just sent my old folio back or a new one? :s
Checked the trackingnumber, its delivered at that Book printing company... wth

Am I getting a new one or did they just sent the old broken one back???

Last edited:

SoJoS

Sep 10, 2009
Flevoland
I got a brand new one today, was happy till I unpacked it.
Yep, same problem. Just like all 6 devices I've seen in shops so far.
This Toshiba adventure is giving me a headache.

thepretorian

Jan 31, 2008
Brussels
Well report it to Toshiba asap and see how your adventure is going...

You are not the only one with a headache. This whole thing is starting to work on my system. I just contacted the store and they say that the unknown address is an address of one of the repair center 's workers or something.

The store checked it out and according to the repair center they have not received any parcels from TNT regarding this case yesterday... while TNT says its delivered and signed...
This case is really going worser and worser. Meanwhile like always, when I send a mail to Toshiba, they don't reply on it... the only time was the time when I asked about the pickup. After that, nothing from the in my mailbox. Are they that afraid of writing things (so I could use it against them? :p)?

SoJoS

Sep 10, 2009
Flevoland
I always thought Toshiba was a class A brand.
Big mistake, it's my first and last Toshiba product. Furthermore I will advice my 'customers' not to buy from them.

BTW, I think where not the only one with a headache, looks like Toshiba has deleted all Folio related topics from their forum.
Hopefully you get a new device too, we only have to send it in 2 more times to get a permanent solution, whatever that may be.
D*mn, I need an aspirin.

thepretorian

Jan 31, 2008
Brussels
Same here, that is why I bought the Folio in the first place. I was really doubting about the Archos 101 and the Folio. But I though, better spend a little bit more to have some quality and support than have to cry at the end when it gets broken.

Right now its the other way around. It is my first product of Toshiba and immediately also the last one that I'll have from them. Their quality sure got worser compared to 10 years ago. We used to work with Toshiba Notebooks in class at High-school. And those things were solid as rock, they got abused so much by the students, but still work how it was made for.

Now you mentioned it, yea the Toshiba Folio forum is closed, I get
Permissions:
permission denied

when you try to access the Folio section. But it doesn't surprise me at all when you look how the Folio is treated by them.

Yep 2 more times and money back? Or maybe they will give you the new folio by that time... anyway no more Toshiba products for me after this Tablet.

Still waiting for a reply from the store regarding my "missing" unrepairable/new Folio. Not sure if they have sent a new one or just my old unrepaired one.

Last edited:

ibila

Apr 5, 2009
LOL, i thought it was me.... downloaded the latest firmware a week ago. Yesterday i tried to view the forum part with the DL link but its nowhere to be found. My guess... they will deny they ever built a folio 100....im going to sell this useless peas of plastic as soon as i get the notion ink. The little troublemaker is now on its way back to toshiba because of damaged internal storage. A start of another warranty nightmare? Find out more next week in another episode of "machinery makers from hell" :)

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

thepretorian

Jan 31, 2008
Brussels
Ok the tablet is clearly not repaired by Pegatron. I just got an email from Pegatron themselves.

Our engineers are qualified to recognize if the product has been broken by somebody or if the defect could be caused by wrong production. There are no other products with this problem. Piece of glass from this Folio was chipped off as something fell down on it.

If you have any further question don’t hesitate to contact me.

As of... means not sure... They clearly are ignoring my quotes of the European warranty law that the first 6 months they have to prove me wrong (PROVE = evidence) and not just saying what they think happened.

I am really really really not in the mood anymore for this kind of crap from them.

my reply to them:
Dear X,

I don't know how the state was when the device arrived at Pegatron. But when it left from my hands, it didn't chipped at all. And I have prove of that, maybe during transportation it felt or something happened to the parcel. If Pegatron has viewed my pictures and all the evidence I have, your engineers would not say that it is a CID. And could you also please tell me how I could dropped something on it in that corner?

Please keep in mind that according to the European warranty law the first 6 month of the 24 months, the manufacture has to provide the prove on how it could happen and not just say that the customer has dropped something on it without something backing up your decision.

I only had the device less than 3 weeks in my hands. Also according to my pictures, the glass or plastic of the cracked area is even bulging more out than before. From all the device that I have seen (at stores, from others), the right bottom edge of the screen is bulging out by 2mm from its frame compared to the left part of the screen. Also it cannot be just a coincident that another customer in France has a cracked digitizer on the same spot as with my case with only 1-2cm difference.

If I have dropped something onto the device, the cracked pattern would be a star form and not a V as you can see the cracked originates from the edge. In the warranty conditions for the folio, nowhere has mentioned that a cracked digitizer is not part of the warranty. It only mentions that a cracked screen (crystal breach) is not cover, but as my screen still works and there are no sign of spots of fluid. You have to repair it under warranty conditions.

A whole topic at XDA forums reveals that multiple persons have that bulging out problem and so far 2 cases are known within the community.

Please note that I am not in the mood to take this case level up, but if Pegatron gives me no choice then I will take this up to the court and claim my rights as a customer + any loses I have made due to this problem.

In the attachment you have my pictures and the picture of the case in France.

Kind regards

Way to go Pegatron and Toshiba! Treating your customers like that... with this kind of quality and support... :mad:

----------------EDIT:--------------

Well I'm really really surprised with their reply on my reply now! Pegatron agrees to repair the Tablet at their costs and is issuing a new RMA number and pickup for the device.

The sad thing is, I don't know where my device currently is, since the store says that they never received any parcels from TNT 2 days ago, despite the name and delivery address is known by the store. SIGH

So there is a chance my device got lost or even stolen. Currently waiting for an answer from the store to see if they really haven't received the device.
This is my reply to Pegatron:

Dear X,

thank you for your understanding and agreeing to repair the Folio 100 at costs of Pegatron. It is not about the repair, but about the principal that it is really not the fault of the customer that the screen cracked. I am glad that you came to the conclusion to repair it. But I still will keep my rights to take any legal actions against Pegatron until this case is completely solved and closed.

Currently I don’t know where my device is located since Pegatron sent it back to Belgium on 28th of February. Last time I also mentioned that the provided address is unknown to me. But after a call to the store, they said that it was one of their workers.

According to that worker, STORE NAME has not received any parcels from TNT with the device, despite the tracking information from TNT indicated it is delivered and signed. So I do not know what happened or where my device currently is.

You can directly contact Ms. NAME from STORE NAME for the pickup information. Due to a national strike today in Belgium, the stores are not open. But they should be back tomorrow morning.

STORE CONTACT INFORMATION

Thank you again for your understanding, effort and time X.

Dear Ms. NAME worker of store,

could you please provide the needed information to Ms. X from Pegatron for the new RMA once you are back at the office again..

Kind regards,

And now waiting for my Folio to get back in my hands again... :rolleyes: ;)
It should probably take another month... Already 1.5 month without the Folio.

Last edited:

SoJoS

Sep 10, 2009
Flevoland
The guy in the store told me this morning he finds Toshiba cocky but I think that's an understatement. I'm afraid you don't want to hear my happy story. This morning I had several calls with Toshiba, very friendly people, they offered me to send it in for replacement, problem was common but maybe (?) the device they would sent me was not affected. So I called the shop and told them about my headache, they took there responsibility, total refund!
I exchanged everything (incl.cover) for an Achos 101, 2 memory cards en some money back. It'll arrive tomorrow by mail.
I hope it will work out for you, remember (at least in NL) the store is responsible, if they send it in its their RMA. You bought it from the store, basically Toshiba is just their supplier. I remembered that and it worked out for me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My screen is coming out a little bit too. At the Bottom, middle or slight right of the middle.

Funny thing is that my touchscreen sometimes just stops responding and then I have to slightly press that plastic frame part on the bottom and instantly after pushing it the touchscreen works again. So the tablet basically wants me to push it on that bulge. :(