How to manual update a complete stock US wifi only Xoom to 3.1 without host cable?

Search This thread

rlf

May 11, 2011
Is it possible?
My xoom is NOT rooted and I do not intend to root it. I just want to manual update it because the update still haven't showed up on the device :)

Thx.

rfreddy

Dec 13, 2007
Hi, I also have a non rooted wifi Xoom and I just downloaded the Honeycomb 3.1 update zip file but I don't know how to install it. Any idea?

Thanks

slack04

May 4, 2010
Hi, I also have a non rooted wifi Xoom and I just downloaded the Honeycomb 3.1 update zip file but I don't know how to install it. Any idea?

Thanks

several how-to guides available. You must have a USB micro-USB female OTG adapter and a thumb drive. If you don't, go get one then read these forums again.

rlf

May 11, 2011
several how-to guides available. You must have a USB micro-USB female OTG adapter and a thumb drive. If you don't, go get one then read these forums again.

Yes, the problem is that i don´t have one right now and can´t get one shipped quickly. I live in Brazil and bought one on ebay last week. It´s coming from Hong Kong lol

But i have read on the forum that the recovery option trough USB is avaible ONLY to 3G models and that´s not my case. Is that true?

Thx.

jstefani

Oct 12, 2010
Tried OTG Cable - No Luck

I tried the procedure outlined in the forums. I've made my own OTG cable by connecting a gender USB Female-to-Female adapter. Tried formatting my San Disk Cruzer or even micro-SD to USB converter and following the procedure. I get E: Cannot locate /sdcard (No such file or directory) I have the update.zip file in the root of either the thumbdrive or microSD card plugged into the microSD to USB converter. I saw someone make their own cable and provide a photo and I pretty much did the same thing. Any ideas?

slack04

May 4, 2010
OTG in any USB cable?

I tried the procedure outlined in the forums. I've made my own OTG cable by connecting a gender USB Female-to-Female adapter. Tried formatting my San Disk Cruzer or even micro-SD to USB converter and following the procedure. I get E: Cannot locate /sdcard (No such file or directory) I have the update.zip file in the root of either the thumbdrive or microSD card plugged into the microSD to USB converter. I saw someone make their own cable and provide a photo and I pretty much did the same thing. Any ideas?

Someone should correct me if I'm wrong, but an OTG cable is different from a converter. OTG is a specification that requires a very small chip in the cable. All you made with a F-F adapter is a USBmicro to USB converter. But the idea was good

Anyone know if the OTG is built into the USB cable that came with the xoom? Is it built into any cable? I can get a F-F adapter tomorrow and give this a try, but if someone says that it's never in the cables then I won't bother.

poisike

Jun 6, 2009
host cable doest need any chip.
I bought a standard USB adapter and connected pin 4 to pin 5 on the micro USB plug side, worked great.

attachment.php

slack04

May 4, 2010
host cable doest need any chip.
I bought a standard USB adapter and connected pin 4 to pin 5 on the micro USB plug side, worked great.

attachment.php

NICE! How sis you connect the wires? Did it require soldering? There's lot's of people on here who would love to know how you did this!

poisike

Jun 6, 2009
NICE! How sis you connect the wires? Did it require soldering? There's lot's of people on here who would love to know how you did this!

Yes, i did solder the wire. I removed the plastic cover with a knife and soldered the wire to the pins 4 and 5.
I must say I'm not good at soldering, but it worked, so i believe anyone can do it. Just check with a multimeter that there is no short with other pins before you use your creation.