[Q] Sound problem: audio almosts mutes when music app loses screen focus

Search This thread

cazian

Jan 1, 2011
Hi. Having a problem with my Desire HD, which is rooted and CyanogenMod version 11-20140703-UNOFFICIAL-ace.

When using the headphone output as a "line out" to an external speaker in an audio app, such as Winamp, Mixcloud or TuneIn Radio, as soon as that app loses screen focus, e.g. going back to the home screen, the audio level drops to almost inaudible. The only way to cure it that I have found is to unplug and replug the audio cable and make sure the music app remains in screen focus.

Checking the Volume Control, the Media Volume is not reset, and turning it up to the maximum 15, still results in very feeble audio.

Not using any effects in DSP Manager.

The problem is not repeated if using a set of headphones or the phone's internal speaker.

Has anyone any idea what is causing this behaviour - is it likely to be software or hardware based? Any ideas?

pat99

Dec 4, 2013
Dortmund
Hi. Having a problem with my Desire HD, which is rooted and CyanogenMod version 11-20140703-UNOFFICIAL-ace.

When using the headphone output as a "line out" to an external speaker in an audio app, such as Winamp, Mixcloud or TuneIn Radio, as soon as that app loses screen focus, e.g. going back to the home screen, the audio level drops to almost inaudible. The only way to cure it that I have found is to unplug and replug the audio cable and make sure the music app remains in screen focus.

Checking the Volume Control, the Media Volume is not reset, and turning it up to the maximum 15, still results in very feeble audio.

Not using any effects in DSP Manager.

The problem is not repeated if using a set of headphones or the phone's internal speaker.

Has anyone any idea what is causing this behaviour - is it likely to be software or hardware based? Any ideas?

That's nightly related issue,Happened to me once. Just change nightly with FULL WIPE will solve your issue. :)

cazian

Jan 1, 2011
That's nightly related issue,Happened to me once. Just change nightly with FULL WIPE will solve your issue. :)

Thanks dr.patron99. I haven't time to do a full wipe and reinstall right now, but I will report back in a few days, to see if that resolves the issue. Thanks for the pointer. Hopefully this will help out others too.

Waheed Hassan

Aug 29, 2013
Sharjah
cm 11

flash recent nightly with full wipe and you're done! :silly:

device: Desire HD
rom: cm11 m8.1
recovery: 4ext 1.0.0.6 r3 build 8
hboot: 0.85

cazian

Jan 1, 2011
Workaround found!

Update: I did a full wipe, and replaced the old nightly with the more recent monthly 11-20140710-UNOFFICIAL-M8.1-ace, but the problem was still there for me. I will have to give the latest nightly a go, when I have the chance.

In the meantime, I found a WORKAROUND, by doing some extensive searching. I found a posting on that cures the problem for me on the XDA help forum for the Sprint Galaxy Note II. You have to sacrifice "OK Google" in Google Voice to achieve this.

The thread is here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52533351 - and I have adapted the steps, which are a little different in my menus:

Home screen > Menu button > Settings > Voice > "OK Google" Detection > UNTICK the box for "From Google Search app" - the back out.

Fixes my sound problems on testing with TuneIn Radio Pro and Mixcloud. I hope this helps others too, who need a quick fix to the problem.

cazian

Jan 1, 2011
The issue seems to occur whenever the phone's internal mic is activated. The volume reduced to a very low level after using the Shazam music recognition app, which of course uses the mic.