Fix BBC iPlayer Device Error & 3G Streaming

Search This thread

jwchips

Apr 16, 2007
Redmi Note 9 Pro
Xiaomi Poco F3
Hey everyone, this is my first thread here so bear with me.

After trawling different forums I finally found a way to get the BBC iPlayer fully working over a 3G connection on my HD2.

To accomplish this I had to fix two problems -

1. My HD2 showing as an unsupported model on the iPlayer website

2. The iPlayer refusing to stream over my 3G connection due to it only being available to Vodafone customers (which I am)

The first problem is solved by applying a about:config tweak in Opera. Open Opera and type "about:config" (no quotes) into the address bar.
Scroll to user prefs and find the Custom User Agent field.
Delete EVERYTHING in this field and replace it with "HTC_Touch_HD_T8282" (no quotes).
Scroll down to the bottom and hit Save.

Now you have access to the iPlayer mobile website, and you can stream over wifi to your hearts content. But streaming over your phones internet will bring another error.

NOTE: The following fix has only been confirmed to work for Vodafone customers

When you put your SIM into your TouchPro2 it configures all connection settings for you. What it doesnt do is create the settings for a wap connection which is what you will need to use to connect to the internet in order for the BBC iPlayer to recognise you are on a vodafone connection.

To do this on your HD2 go to Settings --> Menu -> All Settings --> Connections --> Connections --> Add a new modem connection

Enter any name for your connection (vodawap is a good one) and choose Cellular Line (GSM) as the line.

Access Point Name: wap.vodafone.co.uk
User: wap
Pass: wap

Now according to the source of this fix you need to select the wap connection as defualt, and switch back once you are on the iPlayer site.
However, my HD2 is set to Auto Pick and works fine..

Hope this helps you as much as it did me!

jwchips

Last edited:

svyatko

Nov 12, 2004
London
hi there.

can you tell what quality/format of video you get off iplayer for ppc?

i have tried "myplayer" app but the quality of iplayer there is awfull as its adapted for low spec devices. iphone's iplayer app is using h264 at a decent bitrate. the app is not win mobile though.

thanks