[GUIDE]Full Root and CWM without computer w/ Gingerbreak.apk by Chainfire & 743C

Search This thread

DRockstar

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 30, 2010
Pasadena, CA
Well, since no one has mentioned this yet, hope has returned for the quick computerless root, via apk!

This is not my work, it is Chainfire's apk, with Android Exploid Crew's gingerbreak binary inside... brought to you by the makers of rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin... anyways, here's the xda post:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1044765

Note: this only installs su with superuser.apk, and not busybox, from what I've seen, I tested this with stock EC05. I'm glad busybox is not included, since it would be broken, due to the limited space of the stock EC05 system. So for most using this, the first steps, after rooting with this, would be the following:

Edit: new instructions, for installing rooted kernel, and Clockworkmod 2.5.1.0, all without a computer:

* on the phone, goto menu > settings > applications. Make sure Unknown sources is checked. Goto Development, and make sure USB debugging is checked.

* Install the following apps from the market: SGS Kernel Flasher, ROM Manager, Astro File Manager, and Dolphin Browser HD, all available free from the market, the names here are market links, for your convenience. If opening the links on the phone, make sure to choose the market, when opening them.
Note: Astro File Manager is for ease of locating and installing the gingerbreak.apk on your sdcard. Dolphin Browser HD is recommended, so that downloads don't get the names truncated... The stock browser has been known to do this, especially on my kernel zip downloads.

* Grab the gingerbreak.apk from here (I used the 1.2 version of the apk). either tap the apk download from the dropdown menu, or use astro file manager to locate the apk, and install it. Now close astro file manager, and any other apps that may be using the sdcard.
Now it's time to open gingerbreak from your applications, and choose, "Root Device". It may take up to several minutes, before the phone reboots itself. If all has gone according to plan, you will now have a very basic root, with the Superuser app, so that you can control what apps have root permissions. If for some reason you don't have superuser in your apps, or the gingerbreak has frozen past 10 minutes, reboot the phone, and run the gingerbreak app again.
Note: I am not directly linking the apk here, out of respect for Chainfire, who developed this apk... I wouldn't do it without his permission anyways.

* download DRockstar.Clean.Kernel.EC05.v1.02.zip and put on your sdcard
Original kernel post with sources: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1053252

* Open SGS kernel flasher, and be sure to give permission when the superuser prompt appears. Tap "choose kernel", tap .. , locate DRockstar.Clean.Kernel.EC05.v1.02.zip on your sdcard, and flash the kernel. It should reboot the phone when done. You'll now be running a rooted stock kernel, with some nice added features.

* download cwm2.5.1.0.zip.
Original ReRFS Stock ROM and tools: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1027904
Note: It's a really good idea to download ReRFS Stock ROM, in case you need to stock the phone, in a jam.

* open ROM Manager app, and Tap "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery". Choose the Epic 4G.
The following message will appear:
"Epic4G does not have an officially supported ClockworkMod Recovery yet. Have you installed a ClockworkMod recovery manually?"
choose yes, and select ClockworkMod 2.x.
Next, tap "Install ROM from SD Card". Browse to, and choose the cwm2.5.1.0.zip on your sdcard.
Tap OK at "Reboot and Install", and be sure to give permission, when the superuser prompt appears.

Presto... rooted kernel with full busybox, and Clockworkmod, with no computer needed, for the epic!

Note: Here's cwm3.0.0.6.zip, if you're ready to plunge into ext4. Make sure you have an ext4 compatible ROM ready to flash, on your you sdcard, before converting to ext4. The stock EC05 system will not boot after converting to ext4. Also, be warned, that as of yet, no posted Epic kernels are ROM Manager compatible with ext4, though I am quite certain that tanimn is very hard at work, doing his best to make this happen.

Anyways, I figured all this would be welcome news, and gives me hope again, that an all in one apk can be mustered for the Epic.

I know some are you are saying, "But this is all so complicated, can't you make this any easier?" Well, I say, having dealt with driver and cable issues galore for months, supporting one click root adb scripts... that this is, in fact, no more complicated at all. It may even be easier.

Maybe with some luck and a little skill, I can do a custom apk for us in the future, but for now, this *will* work.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DRockstar

Sep 30, 2010
Pasadena, CA
OK, I did look there first (in the Epic section, anyways), but I must have missed it...

Some of the devs in the irc channel didn't even know, so I thought it was worthy of mention here, as much as a one click root is stickied in this very section.

If this thread needs to be deleted, so be it, I thought I was doing a service, calling people's attention to it, and outlining what steps should be taken, after using it.

Edit: now I see a post in the apps section, but my notes here are still very pertinent, to anyone relying on the gingerbreak.apk

theimpaler747: do what you will on this thread, it was intended as a public service announcement, and just might affect the development of the epic, especially since it'll most likely become the new root for gingerbread. I leave it up to you and your judgement.

Last edited:

DRockstar

Sep 30, 2010
Pasadena, CA
If we rooted with this method then how do we push custom recovery?

Sent From My Evo Killer!!

First off, I suspect any one click scripts for gingerbread, would have to use the gingerbreak binary, also listed and linked in the Chainfire post.

Hopefully, before GB is released (and hopefully a patch hasn't been, for rooter's sake), we can make an apk that flashes a proper recovery in bml8. (Preferably, in my opinion, to cwm 2.5.1.0, until the user decides to convert to ext4, which can be done with a subsequent cwm zip, like the cwm3.0.0.6.zip in my ReRFS Stock ROM post.)

joeykrim has made a kernel flashing apk (FlashImage GUI, in market), but at my behest, left out the ability to flash bml8, due to the fact that if a corrupt kernel is flashed there, odin or heimdall is required to fix it, once a 3 button boot is attempted to a corrupt bml8 flash.

For now, I would recommend a manual bmlwrite bml8 flash for a known good recovery kernel, for anyone using the gingerbreak method.

Also, some kernels, like my Clean Kernel, have reboot recovery to cwm 2.5.1.0 if RFS, and, can be flashed with the free SGS Kernel Flasher apk from the market. Once reboot recovery is achieved, cwm can be flashed to bml8, using the zip tools in the ReRFS post.

Last edited:
Reactions: r0nin ar1es

DRockstar

Sep 30, 2010
Pasadena, CA
Just modded the original post, with instructions on getting full rooted kernel, and Clockworkmod, without needing a computer... how about that?

Reactions: DCRocks and jimweda

sniperkill

Sep 27, 2010
Maryland
Woot, woot!! Now my wife can stop climbing down my throat about always being on the computer!! Gimme a woot!!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

Reactions: blackinjun

DRockstar

Sep 30, 2010
Pasadena, CA
If only it converted your files to ext4..

Sent from my Samsung Epic

Actually, you can convert to ext4 too, with the cwm3.0.0.6.zip posted in the ReRFS ROM thread... just flash it through cwm 3 button boot, or from reboot recovery with the kernel... keep in mind, that reboot recovery won't work for ext4 with the Clean Kernel, at this point in time.

but anyway, there's still nothing you can't do without a computer!

|| Acer ||

Oct 21, 2010
Chicago
Actually, you can convert to ext4 too, with the cwm3.0.0.6.zip posted in the ReRFS ROM thread... just flash it through cwm 3 button boot, or from reboot recovery with the kernel... keep in mind, that reboot recovery won't work for ext4 with the Clean Kernel, at this point in time.

but anyway, there's still nothing you can't do without a computer!

Eh, sounds complex lol. I'll either wait for a video or just do it on a pc, no biggy

Sent from my Samsung Epic

JohnCorleone

Dec 19, 2010
Whittier,CA
I remember when installing Samsung Drivers, finding a good cord, using Odin, rooting, wiping system/data, Cache Partition, Dalvik, installing zip from SD, choosing zip from SD,etc. sounded like another language to me! If this works, congratulations. It may save many headaches.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA Premium App

DRockstar

Sep 30, 2010
Pasadena, CA
Updated, with instructions for ROM Manager zip flashing... muahahahahaha

Also, almost all the links are phone friendly now, especially if you use the Dolphin HD Browser to download files, and the app names, are now market links, in the hopes that will make installing them even easier from the phone.

The only link that is not a direct link, is to the actual gingerbreak.apk itself, which is contained in an xda post, that requires xda registration to see. I respect that and the original dev, and will not give a direct download link, without Chainfire's expressed permission. I do think others will understand this.

Anyways,

Hope you all dig it!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, since no one has mentioned this yet, hope has returned for the quick computerless root, via apk!

This is not my work, it is Chainfire's apk, with Android Exploid Crew's gingerbreak binary inside... brought to you by the makers of rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin... anyways, here's the xda post:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1044765

Note: this only installs su with superuser.apk, and not busybox, from what I've seen, I tested this with stock EC05. I'm glad busybox is not included, since it would be broken, due to the limited space of the stock EC05 system. So for most using this, the first steps, after rooting with this, would be the following:

Edit: new instructions, for installing rooted kernel, and Clockworkmod 2.5.1.0, all without a computer:

* on the phone, goto menu > settings > applications. Make sure Unknown sources is checked. Goto Development, and make sure USB debugging is checked.

* Install the following apps from the market: SGS Kernel Flasher, ROM Manager, Astro File Manager, and Dolphin Browser HD, all available free from the market, the names here are market links, for your convenience. If opening the links on the phone, make sure to choose the market, when opening them.
    Note: Astro File Manager is for ease of locating and installing the gingerbreak.apk on your sdcard. Dolphin Browser HD is recommended, so that downloads don't get the names truncated... The stock browser has been known to do this, especially on my kernel zip downloads.

* Grab the gingerbreak.apk from here (I used the 1.2 version of the apk). either tap the apk download from the dropdown menu, or use astro file manager to locate the apk, and install it. Now close astro file manager, and any other apps that may be using the sdcard.
    Now it's time to open gingerbreak from your applications, and choose, "Root Device". It may take up to several minutes, before the phone reboots itself. If all has gone according to plan, you will now have a very basic root, with the Superuser app, so that you can control what apps have root permissions. If for some reason you don't have superuser in your apps, or the gingerbreak has frozen past 10 minutes, reboot the phone, and run the gingerbreak app again.
    Note: I am not directly linking the apk here, out of respect for Chainfire, who developed this apk... I wouldn't do it without his permission anyways.

* download DRockstar.Clean.Kernel.EC05.v1.02.zip and put on your sdcard
    Original kernel post with sources: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1053252

* Open SGS kernel flasher, and be sure to give permission when the superuser prompt appears. Tap "choose kernel", tap .. , locate DRockstar.Clean.Kernel.EC05.v1.02.zip on your sdcard, and flash the kernel. It should reboot the phone when done. You'll now be running a rooted stock kernel, with some nice added features.

* download cwm2.5.1.0.zip.
    Original ReRFS Stock ROM and tools: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1027904
    Note: It's a really good idea to download ReRFS Stock ROM, in case you need to stock the phone, in a jam.

* open ROM Manager app, and Tap "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery". Choose the Epic 4G.
    The following message will appear:
    "Epic4G does not have an officially supported ClockworkMod Recovery yet. Have you installed a ClockworkMod recovery manually?"
    choose yes, and select ClockworkMod 2.x.
    Next, tap "Install ROM from SD Card". Browse to, and choose the cwm2.5.1.0.zip on your sdcard.
    Tap OK at "Reboot and Install", and be sure to give permission, when the superuser prompt appears.

Presto... rooted kernel with full busybox, and Clockworkmod, with no computer needed, for the epic!

Note: Here's cwm3.0.0.6.zip, if you're ready to plunge into ext4. Make sure you have an ext4 compatible ROM ready to flash, on your you sdcard, before converting to ext4. The stock EC05 system will not boot after converting to ext4. Also, be warned, that as of yet, no posted Epic kernels are ROM Manager compatible with ext4, though I am quite certain that tanimn is very hard at work, doing his best to make this happen.

Anyways, I figured all this would be welcome news, and gives me hope again, that an all in one apk can be mustered for the Epic.

I know some are you are saying, "But this is all so complicated, can't you make this any easier?" Well, I say, having dealt with driver and cable issues galore for months, supporting one click root adb scripts... that this is, in fact, no more complicated at all. It may even be easier.

Maybe with some luck and a little skill, I can do a custom apk for us in the future, but for now, this *will* work.

Just modded the original post, with instructions on getting full rooted kernel, and Clockworkmod, without needing a computer... how about that?

Ask damean

Sent from my Samsung-SPH-D700 using XDA App

First off, I suspect any one click scripts for gingerbread, would have to use the gingerbreak binary, also listed and linked in the Chainfire post.

Hopefully, before GB is released (and hopefully a patch hasn't been, for rooter's sake), we can make an apk that flashes a proper recovery in bml8. (Preferably, in my opinion, to cwm 2.5.1.0, until the user decides to convert to ext4, which can be done with a subsequent cwm zip, like the cwm3.0.0.6.zip in my ReRFS Stock ROM post.)

joeykrim has made a kernel flashing apk (FlashImage GUI, in market), but at my behest, left out the ability to flash bml8, due to the fact that if a corrupt kernel is flashed there, odin or heimdall is required to fix it, once a 3 button boot is attempted to a corrupt bml8 flash.

For now, I would recommend a manual bmlwrite bml8 flash for a known good recovery kernel, for anyone using the gingerbreak method.

Also, some kernels, like my Clean Kernel, have reboot recovery to cwm 2.5.1.0 if RFS, and, can be flashed with the free SGS Kernel Flasher apk from the market. Once reboot recovery is achieved, cwm can be flashed to bml8, using the zip tools in the ReRFS post.

Woot, woot!! Now my wife can stop climbing down my throat about always being on the computer!! Gimme a woot!!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App