[FIX] No Power Menu, No Lockscreen, Corrupt Efs FIX! Skyrocket and T989

Search This thread

icenight89

Dec 18, 2010
If your phone shuts straight down after pressing the power button and your have no lock screen, read below for solution. Before you do any of this, please note that this was caused by the note radio, aka uclc5, and if u still have it, please remove it! Also causes include a corrupt efs partition. This guide will help to restore key files important to the operation of your phone

There are three methods available. The first and second one are recommended. If you are uncomfortable with adb and command prompt please use method one

UPDATE: This has been confirmed as working on T989!

WARNING!
Method 3 is only to be used if one and two fail, or if you are positive your efs is corrupt!

Original source for solution, with a few method changes by me:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1438451

METHOD ONE

1.) Use busy box installer from the market and re-install even if u have it working

2.) If step one doesn't work, install super su updater, and update it, then try step one again.

3.) Boot into cwm and dark side wipe 3x

4.) Flash rooted 2.3.5 from thread below

5.) Boot into rom and install root explorer

6). Navigate to /efs/imei/

7.) Press menu and select new file

8.) Name it "keystr" exactly as in quotes

9.) Long press keystr and select edit in text editor

10.) Type "ON" and press back, selecting save.

11.) Reboot and make sure keystr file is still present.

12.) Now u have a few options. U can flash ics back using either Odin one click (UCLA4 or UCLD2), but I don't recommend this. Flash one of the ics roms from the development section, we have great devs!

Rooted 2.3.5 zip:
http://d-h.st/ce75z460t847

METHOD TWO

1.) You must have the Samsung drivers installed for the skyrocket, available from here:
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...ng_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_v1.5.14.0.exe

2.) Once installed, download the attached zip, its a copy of ADB with the needed file inside

3.) Unzip to any location

4.) Boot phone into cwm

5.) Go into Mounts and Storage, and select "mount /efs". Once done connect usb cable to phone and computer

6.) Open command prompt and navigate to the unzipped adb. Issue the following command "adb devices" it should list phone

7.) Now issue the following command "adb push keystr /efs/imei"

8.) Reboot phone and check presence of keystr file in /efs/imei directory with Root Explorer

METHOD 3
Flash attached EFSFix.zip in cwm and reboot.

A SPECIAL THANKS AND SHOUT OUT TO:
mahausrath and Colombiano80 for providing the efs dumps i needed
cmbrown for being a faithful tester!

Attachments

• ADB.zip
    374.5 KB · Views: 4,325
  • EFSFix.zip
    200 KB · Views: 12,770
Last edited:

ConfusingCurve

Dec 9, 2010
Corpus Christi
No download link at thread for Rooted 2.3.6

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

Found a mirror

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

Still not working. It wont let me write the file keystr to the directory, just says failed, but I can write other things to it. I'm really really confused please help.

Reactions: uhhdoug

ConfusingCurve

Dec 9, 2010
Corpus Christi
This may be just me, but I still can't get this method to work. I can't make a file called keystr. I've tried several times using a multitude of Root exploring programs (EStrong, Root Browser, Root Explorer, Astro, ect.) I make sure it's mounted as write and do the works and it just don't work.

mimart7

Nov 30, 2011
NYC
This may be just me, but I still can't get this method to work. I can't make a file called keystr. I've tried several times using a multitude of Root exploring programs (EStrong, Root Browser, Root Explorer, Astro, ect.) I make sure it's mounted as write and do the works and it just don't work.

I can't create the file either, any help would be appreciated.

icenight89

Dec 18, 2010
i've updated the op with a new method. since efs won't allow you to write from inside android, i've used adb with the push command.

Dwolf16

Aug 8, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Yo ice nthn is working i did everything that it says plus what you've sent me and still nothing

Last edited:

Dwolf16

Aug 8, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Ok so here's the break down

i flashed the efsfix.zip

i go into mounts and storage, and mount /efs ( a error saying Cant Mount /efs!)

i go to cmd.exe and find the Adb folder that has been unzipped

i detect devices with adb devices

i then adb push keystr /efs/imei

it says
C:\ADB>adb push keystr /efs/imei
0 KB/s (2 bytes in 0.002s)

I then reboot go into root explorer and nothings in efs/imei/ and theres nothing in there but the parent folder

icenight89

Dec 18, 2010
Ok so here's the break down

i flashed the efsfix.zip

i go into mounts and storage, and mount /efs ( a error saying Cant Mount /efs!)

i go to cmd.exe and find the Adb folder that has been unzipped

i detect devices with adb devices

i then adb push keystr /efs/imei

it says
C:\ADB>adb push keystr /efs/imei
0 KB/s (2 bytes in 0.002s)

I then reboot go into root explorer and nothings in efs/imei/ and theres nothing in there but the parent folder

alright, that's it. ur efs partition is corrupt, but I need a dump from a fresh stock untouched phone to make sure its fixed properly. In the mean time, I have made a zip of my efs. So change the instructions and do this.

Make a new folder I'm the same folder as adb.exe and name is efs. Extract the contents of attached zip inside efs folder. When u use adb inside cmd, type "adb push efs /". Then reboot. Report back on if that works or not

Attachments

• efs.zip
    4 KB · Views: 574
Last edited:
Reactions: hahawa

Dwolf16

Aug 8, 2010
Buffalo, NY
ok so i rebooted what should i be looking for? when i was in root explorer nothing changed. When i went back into cwm it's still saying "Can't mount efs!" But in the cmd prompt it showed the "adb push efs /" worked

Last edited:

icenight89

Dec 18, 2010
do u have a keystr right in /efs? does ur lock screen work, or power button? If not ur gonna have to wait til I get an efs dump from someone

Reactions: hahawa

Dwolf16

Aug 8, 2010
Buffalo, NY
do u have a keystr right in /efs? does ur lock screen work, or power button? If not ur gonna have to wait til I get an efs dump from someone

yea i got nothing....also when i did method one originally i would make the file

keystr

type in "ON"

Saved

and it would work until i rebooted...i just there was a way to save it after boot

mimart7

Nov 30, 2011
NYC
The push worked, but there is nothing in the imei directory.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If your phone shuts straight down after pressing the power button and your have no lock screen, read below for solution. Before you do any of this, please note that this was caused by the note radio, aka uclc5, and if u still have it, please remove it! Also causes include a corrupt efs partition. This guide will help to restore key files important to the operation of your phone

There are three methods available. The first and second one are recommended. If you are uncomfortable with adb and command prompt please use method one

UPDATE: This has been confirmed as working on T989!

WARNING!
    Method 3 is only to be used if one and two fail, or if you are positive your efs is corrupt!

Original source for solution, with a few method changes by me:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1438451

METHOD ONE

1.) Use busy box installer from the market and re-install even if u have it working

2.) If step one doesn't work, install super su updater, and update it, then try step one again.

3.) Boot into cwm and dark side wipe 3x

4.) Flash rooted 2.3.5 from thread below

5.) Boot into rom and install root explorer

6). Navigate to /efs/imei/

7.) Press menu and select new file

8.) Name it "keystr" exactly as in quotes

9.) Long press keystr and select edit in text editor

10.) Type "ON" and press back, selecting save.

11.) Reboot and make sure keystr file is still present.

12.) Now u have a few options. U can flash ics back using either Odin one click (UCLA4 or UCLD2), but I don't recommend this. Flash one of the ics roms from the development section, we have great devs!

Rooted 2.3.5 zip:

METHOD TWO

1.) You must have the Samsung drivers installed for the skyrocket, available from here:
    http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...ng_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_v1.5.14.0.exe

2.) Once installed, download the attached zip, its a copy of ADB with the needed file inside

3.) Unzip to any location

4.) Boot phone into cwm

5.) Go into Mounts and Storage, and select "mount /efs". Once done connect usb cable to phone and computer

6.) Open command prompt and navigate to the unzipped adb. Issue the following command "adb devices" it should list phone

7.) Now issue the following command "adb push keystr /efs/imei"

8.) Reboot phone and check presence of keystr file in /efs/imei directory with Root Explorer

METHOD 3
    Flash attached EFSFix.zip in cwm and reboot.

A SPECIAL THANKS AND SHOUT OUT TO:
    mahausrath and Colombiano80 for providing the efs dumps i needed
    cmbrown for being a faithful tester!

hopefully we get some other biters soon, i'd like to double confirm its working lol
    k, im gonna have to take some time and think this through.
    working with iceknight as i have a stock/unrooted phone. hope i can help you guys fix your issues.
    I tried doing this and it still did not work.

I copied the imei folder to root of SD Card. Then created the keystr file and edited it ( it created the keystr & bak file just fine ). Then I tried copying the folder back to the efs folder location ( it told me it was sucessfull, however when I went into the imei folder, it still did not have the keystr file in there ( it only copied keystr.bak ).. I have a feeling there already exists a keystr file in there that may be corrupt or something.

I even tried deleting the whole imei folder ( it said it was sucessful, but as soon as I went up one directory and came back, the imei folder was still there ) - like its permanently stuck in read only mode.

as I've already said, YOU have a corrupt efs, along with some others. U were the unfortunate few who really screwed up there phone with note radio. I'm working on a fix, hang tight. I know no lock screen and lack of power menu are annoying, but your phone still works.