[ROM][HYBRID][Jellybean] PARANOIDANDROID v1.991 - Non-kexec only!

Search This thread

somerandomguy1

Aug 14, 2012
my real question is, How do I get CWM to work? I thought I installed the right thing on my phone but it was something called goo.im and did not work. I have the bootloader unloacked. I think I just need CWM now.

That might be the goo manager, but I'm not all that familiar with that.

To get CWM, use EZ-Recovery (found in the Play store). From there you can flash 6.0.1.0 from the menu or whatever recovery you want.

That guide has a walkthrough for just about everything that's available to be flashed right now, i'd rely on that.

Reactions: UWRF

rbellis

Jan 10, 2011
Chapel Hill
That might be the goo manager, but I'm not all that familiar with that.

To get CWM, use EZ-Recovery (found in the Play store). From there you can flash 6.0.1.0 from the menu or whatever recovery you want.

That guide has a walkthrough for just about everything that's available to be flashed right now, i'd rely on that.

LOL I feel like a DUMBASS! I saw the flash option after I posted this. WOW!

drbobmd

Feb 23, 2012
Mission Viejo, CA
Hey guys. I just got my S3 the other day adn I am loving it. I love the look of this ROM and really want to try it. I am not new to flashing. This is my 3rd droid. With that said, I do not understand the extra things that have to be done like unlocking the bootloader and this kenec. I have tried to download the recovery program and all the licks i have come across are dead.

Can someone please give me a hand? I feel like I have started all over and have no clue what is going on here

The link in somerandomguy1's post is exactly where i started. Start with root using Odin, which is basically a flashing utility. Then unlock the bl, search the play store for ez-unlock (one click bl unlock tool, its pretty self explanatory once you open it). Then search play for ez-recovery which you can use to flash cwm or team win's recovery (i use cwm) then flash the rom/gapps as usual. These are all the as-basic-as-it-gets way of doing these things, if you want to do all manually search the regular development thread for each process.

Kexec was/is used to bypass bootloader lockdown on a number of devices to allow flashing custom roms and kernels. If i remember correctly it would hijack the boot sequence after the first stage bootloader before the stock kernel was loaded into memory in order to allow the custom one to take its place and then proceed booting the rom. Since the bootloader is now unlocked, this process is obsolete as we can load our custom software without the need of exploiting the security checks locked bl's impose, and the right parts of the device can be programmed directly.

All of this information is throughout the vsgs3 development forums. The xda search function up to the right and google are your friends, and friends like attention ;)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: UWRF

KINGDROID25

May 25, 2011
Lost Angeles
I tried this ROM out my data was a lil "wonky" and I noticed my min in abt phone was unknown so I got freaked out and now I'm on cm10 skanks version.. can wait for these aosp ROM to become more stable I love the concept of this ROM...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

kevman8396

Apr 27, 2011
What did I do wrong?

I downloaded this ROM on my phone and then tried to flash it through Recovery and now my phone will not turn on. Did I do something incorrectly?

trafalger888

Aug 18, 2010
kevman8396 said:
I downloaded this ROM on my phone and then tried to flash it through Recovery and now my phone will not turn on. Did I do something incorrectly?

What does your phone do when you try to turn it on? Also what recovery did you use? This is still a kexec ROM so needs the kexec enabled recovery.

kevman8396

Apr 27, 2011
What does your phone do when you try to turn it on? Also what recovery did you use? This is still a kexec ROM so needs the kexec enabled recovery.

The only time it will try to turn on is if i pull the battery and put it back in. Then it will bring up the Galaxy s3 screen and then go black. I was using CWM recovery version 6

trafalger888

Aug 18, 2010
The only time it will try to turn on is if i pull the battery and put it back in. Then it will bring up the Galaxy s3 screen and then go black. I was using CWM recovery version 6

Can you boot back into recovery to flash a nandroid if you made one?

And just to clarify cwm 6.0.1.0?
Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

piiman

Jun 21, 2010
I believe the key combination (vol down/home/power IIRC) is for the stock Samsung download mode, not the recovery that the other poster was speaking of. He/She advised you to use a program called adb to force your phone into recovery mode (CWM) where you could restore a nandroid backup.

That's for Download mode isn't it?
Its Vol Up+home+power for recovery?

msnglink

Feb 7, 2012
Omaha ne
You'll get the triple boot as long as you have a kexec kernel installed, unlocking the bootloader just gives you the option to install a normal kernel, then you can flash a normal recovery and boot normally.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

how do you install the normal recovery kernal? cant seem to find the instructions

but can i use the kexec exploit to flash this still?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    paranoidxqkmy.png

37589553.png

38806577.png

paranoidnotabf8j0a.png

This is an ongoing developer project to make way for a modification that will entirely transform your device, but retain the aesthetics and the experience of your phone. I know you've seen tablet mode roms before, they change two lines in your build.prop file which you could easily edit yourself in seconds and maybe throw a keyboard in there to make it work better. It's a start, but this ain't enough. This thing has potential, but it is wasted the moment you try to stuff a full blown tablet into your poor phone. Yet we all know our high res phones can very well handle more than silly 1-column layouts. So the magic must be in between somewhere, a place that Google must have overlooked and left blank. Yes, this rom strives to drop your device into tablet mode, but it won't stop there, it will reshape and redefine ICS to make it all a usefull addition and not just a cute novelty. we're calling it: Hybrid Mode, best of both worlds.

paranoidinstructions4zk.png

paranoidhintsu4kjw.png

• FAQ & Help - Read before asking!
    • Go to Settings, System, Font size, set it to NORMAL
    • Launcher Settings: margins: SMALL (If youre using Apex / Nova), show permanent searchbar: YES, Grid: 5x4, resize all widgets: YES, Wallpaper scrolling: OFF
    • Themes and other goodies you can find here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1646034

paranoidtroublernbsn.png

• If you have an issue and you want to call our attention, here's what you do:
    • 1. Try everything you can, find solutions for yourself. Wipe caches, revert all your settings you have made, go back to your stock Kernel, factory reset if you have to or reflash the rom. Assume that the issue is on your side and try your best to isolate it.
    • 2. Search this thread and Cyanogenmods aswell (its our base) for possible reoccurences of your issue and hopefully solutions that may have come up.
    • 3. If you think the issue is important enough that we should cease our work and look into it, post your issue, BUT ...
    • ... stay friendly, do not demand anything, do not threaten
    • ... explain your issue as precise as you can, name the exact apps and conditions that cause trouble, help us to replicate the issue right away. If we can't there's no way we can fix it and your post will simply clutter the thread
    • ... collect evidence, keep in mind this is a developer thread so even if you are not one, do us the favor and research how to record logcat. logcat is the single most important help you can give us to resolve your issue.

paranoidcreditsjkkeh.png

• The ParanoidAndroid Team - For ParanoidAndroid
    • molesarecoming - For letting me port
    • Cyanogenmod - For everything they do
    • PureMotive - Galaxy S3 porter and maintainer
    paranoidchangelogjmkth.png
    no

• 20120819v1.991
    • Maintenance update, bugfixes and patches.

• 20120810v1.9.8alpha
    • Project butter recents in tabUI (2/2)
    • Quick access hybrid properties by longpressing a recent app
    • More refined hybrid algorithm to reveal more layout containers
    • TabletUI toggles
    • All recent cm merges (Trebuchet, googles 4.1.1 r4 with a whole bunch of fixes for memory leaks, etc)

• 20120806v1.9.7alpha
    • New option: "large" to trick an app thinking the device has a real big screen. some need it, like amazon kindle to jump into tabUI. some even react on it, gdrive will slightly adapt its layout - makes only sense if you give it a small dpi though.
    • The algorithm to extract the actual layout containers from apk files works more precise and can reveal more than before. there will still be a few apps left who do that layout stuff in java - we will add an override button for that, but in the meantime you can edit /system/etc/paranoid/properties.conf .layout=360 for phone-like UI, 600 for phablet, 720 = tablet, 1280 = super huge tablet
    • Several bugfixes from us and cm
    • CDMA SIM

• 20120723v1.9.5a - On Page 23
    • Finally hardware accelerated recents in TabUI, as fluid as ever. The ugly gradient is gone aswell
    • A clean backup properties file is shipped, you can make a full reset in the panel in case you lost it with all the settings you made
    • Force option can be activated in the panel, good for widget scaling
    • The DPI sliders in the panel read min/max props from properties.conf, define them as you like
    • TabUI Recents are back to a bigger size, this is temporary, i'll look for ways to port the phone implementation as project butter skipped the tabUI code
    • Cyanogenmod fixes
    • New GApps

• 20120723v1.9a / 1.9.1a - My edits are in RED
    • Newest CM10 patches (powertoggles for phoneUI, lockscreen options, etc,)
    • Definable number of notifications for navbar shaping
    • Hide clock wont cut it out of the notification center aswell
    • Lockscreen tutorial overlap *should* be fixed
    • Notificationcenter in TabUI has a draghandle like phablet and phone have
    • New GApps
    • Camera (very rough fix)
    • Panorama
    • Video Recording
    • Video Playback
    • YouTube (very rough fix) - I suggest starting out in landscape mode
    • Phone number
    luxefaq.png
    • Do I flash this using ODIN?
      No. Use the custom recovery that's linked.
    • I still don't know how to install the ROM
      1. Download the ROM, GApps, and recovery.img from the OP
      2. Download and open the EZ recovery app from HERE
      3. Select custom, then select the box with 3 dots... find the d2vzw_recovery.img you downloaded in step 1 part B., select flash, then Reboot Recovery
      4. From CWM recovery, Perform a nandroid backup from the backup/restore menu
      5. Wipe data/factory reset
      6. Select install .zip from sd and install the rom you downloaded in step 1 part A.
      7. Select install .zip from sd and install the gapps package you downloaded in step 1 part B.
      8. Reboot

Thanks droidstyle
    • I'm in a bootloop. Help!
      This is normal for now. The phone will reboot multiple times, but will get to the bootanimation and eventually boot up. Do not freak out.
    • Something went wrong! Can you help me?
      I'd love to help you, but I need a little more information about your issue. You should provide us with information regarding what your issue causes and what you did before the issue started. However, before asking me and the community, ask yourself two simple questions:
      • Can I reproduce the error?
      • Have I looked for a solution?
      If you answered "yes" to both of these questions and came up empty handed, then post it in the thread and it will be addressed. Even more helpful would be if you got a logcat. Like so:
      Code:
      adb logcat > logcat.txt
      OR (the better way so we dont have to keep downloading logs)
      Code:
      adb logcat
      • Paste the terminal output here (you don't need to register): http://pastebin.com/
      • Click "submit"
      • Share your link/logcat
    • When I use the camera the phone freezes and I have to do a battery pull...I thought it was fixed? (1.9.1a)
      It is fixed. It's just a pretty hacky fix. To take a picture, you will have to tap the screen to focus the camera BEFORE taking the picture. If you just press the camera button, the phone will freeze.
    • Can you add *this* to the ROM?
      Although I'm not obligated to add anything and everything to the ROM, I will do our best to supply your desires and live up to your expectations. Do not mistake this for a guarantee. I would like to do everything, but I may not be able to.
    • I'm experiencing some force closes, what gives?
      Boot into recovery and fix permissions. Reboot.
    • Where can I go for information about the latest updates?
      You can follow me on Twitter
    Where can I find the "what works list"? Not just update fixes but the official what works and what doesnt?

There isn't one yet because what works and what doesn't is sometimes subjective. This ROM is based on CM10, which has some notable issues at the moment, some of which do not show up until a reboot is performed. I'm working on a new release that will hopefully iron out the stability of some features (No ETA though).
    Hey guys, sorry for the phone bug. I'm going to be compiling PA from source when I get the chance (hopefully tomorrow) and will push out an update when it works.