[Q] low battery (almost sleep) mode?

Search This thread

dootzky

Jan 16, 2010
Hey guys,

I had an idea - since I'm really not "using" my Android S3 phone all day long, it gets frustrating when the bettery runs at 30% at 2pm, without any real use.

So the concept would be:

1) either a "ROM" of Android, which would be seriously minimal - like the device is not a smartphone - so only wake up on incoming call or text message

2) or an app, which does the same thing - suspends the phone completely, and wakes it up only on the incoming call or text message

I was just curious - does something like this exist? I don't care about apps, notifications, wifi or sync, I was thinking more along the lines of would it be possible to use your smartphone like a typical "cell phone", and when you need other apps or full features (GPS navigation with maps, or Shazam, or whatever it is you need) - you just "reboot" or do a qucik switch to "full Android" mode, and use those features.

Does any of this makes any sense?
I feel that the battery life should be at least 5 days in that mode, with light usage?

Anyway, I apologize if I got the wrong subsection of the forum, but I was just curious to see if anybody else already though of this, or if they didn't, would it be plausible? I'm a web developer, but I would maybe even try to make something like this in case there's a big need.. :)

GermainZ

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Aug 3, 2012
It's called deep sleep. Basically, your phone is always in deep sleep when the screen is off, unless there's an active wakelock. Usually, apps request those (or the kernel.) What you can do is to remove (or freeze) apps that request too many wakelocks… You can search around for more detailed info.

In your case, since you only want to use your smartphone as a phone, you could remove all the user apps. You can also remove Google services APKs from /system/app (root required.) To check what apps are requesting wakelocks, you can use Better Battery Stats (read the tutorial inside the app.)

dootzky

Jan 16, 2010
Oh wow, cool! So someone though of this before me. Awesome! :)

Hey thanks so much for your quick reply, I'll read into the "deep sleep" logic, and I'll take a look at the app right away..

Thanks again man! :)

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com