[Q] Touch sensor randomly stops working

Search This thread

SoulSurvivors

Jul 1, 2013
Hi!

For past two-three days I am experiencing this problem. Touch sensor just randomly stops working. Top side of the screen is very very difficult to control, sometimes even impossible. Sometimes it feels like sensor recognizes multiple touches at the same time which results random pages or menus opening and closing.

After short usage with screen up or after long downtime (like when I go to sleep) I'm not able to use sensor at all. I cannot shut down the alarm clock, I cannot answer the calls. I still can use the power button tho.

Now what is the most retarded is that nearly all that vanishes after phone reboot. The only thing that remains is that top side of the screen is still quite difficult to control. For example I cannot open that top slide-bar comfortably. I have to slowly move my finger over the screen in order to do so.

Phone specifications:
Custom ROM: Cyanogen 11-20140702-nightly
sdcard partition type: FAT32
bootloader version: 2.14
Security-OFF
CID: 11111
Custom recovery: TWRP 2.7.0.8

P.S.: tried to re-insall ROM did not help. Phone havent been damaged by any means recently.

marknoll

May 13, 2014
Did u over or under clock..flash a mod to control kernel? That's what it sounds like

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
I'm assuming you're using the stock kernel? What you're describing is an ongoing issue with the CM kernel, flash a custom kernel (Torched or Bubba) and your problem should cease.

Sent from my Evita

marknoll

May 13, 2014
Wow. I never knew there was an issue with stock kernel...what's causing that anyways?

SoulSurvivors

Jul 1, 2013
Damn it..
I'm a newbie with all that kernel flashes. Any How-To for noobs? Guide or something? I have found Tourched Kernel for KK thread (I suppose it stands for Kit-Kat?), but it's quite puzzling for me with all that voltages.

P.S.: What caused such random issue all of the sudden? Have been using CM for quite a bit of time already. Got that issue just 2-3 days ago

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
Wow. I never knew there was an issue with stock kernel...what's causing that anyways?

I have no idea what's causing it, I do know that using a custom kernel always fixes it for me though.

Damn it..
I'm a newbie with all that kernel flashes. Any How-To for noobs? Guide or something? I have found Tourched Kernel for KK thread (I suppose it stands for Kit-Kat?), but it's quite puzzling for me with all that voltages.

P.S.: What caused such random issue all of the sudden? Have been using CM for quite a bit of time already. Got that issue just 2-3 days ago

Flashing a kernel is similar to flashing a ROM, if you want instructions just check the How-To Guide For Beginners thread in my signature.

Sent from my Evita

SoulSurvivors

Jul 1, 2013
I have no idea what's causing it, I do know that using a custom kernel always fixes it for me though.

Flashing a kernel is similar to flashing a ROM, if you want instructions just check the How-To Guide For Beginners thread in my signature.

Sent from my Evita

Meh, I have updated kernel to 3.4.86-Torched-KK.B4.3+
Problem is still here.

Still cant open top slide menu properly. It is just weird, it really seems like some sort of damage to very top side of the screen. But i didnt hit it or anything like that. Screen itself without any visible damage or even scratches, cuz im using screen protector. Gonna see if I can at least answer the calls properly without sensor goin full nuts.

update:

That's definitely a software issue. If i turn the phone around so screen would get rotated that "damaged" area works just fine. What the **** is going on? It started so randomly

Last edited:

marknoll

May 13, 2014
Meh, I have updated kernel to 3.4.86-Torched-KK.B4.3+
Problem is still here.

Still cant open top slide menu properly. It is just weird, it really seems like some sort of damage to very top side of the screen. But i didnt hit it or anything like that. Screen itself without any visible damage or even scratches, cuz im using screen protector. Gonna see if I can at least answer the calls properly without sensor goin full nuts.

update:

That's definitely a software issue. If i turn the phone around so screen would get rotated that "damaged" area works just fine. What the **** is going on? It started so randomly
Maybe reflashing the ROM and the kernel would be a good idea. I've had to do that too. Its annoying,but sometimes I had to do that. Good luck.

SoulSurvivors

Jul 1, 2013
Nop.. :(

I've done the factory reset. Installer fresh ROM, Gapps and kernel.
Same ****. I Guess That is indeed hardware damage to sensor.

/sadpanda

marknoll

May 13, 2014
There's a way to diagnose it. Download an app called sensor on play store