Get a new Verizon phone and keep unlimited data possible?

Search This thread

schmaltzy

Jun 28, 2010
So I'm still rocking the Galaxy S3 with unlimited data on Big Red. My contract was up about a month ago and the are 3 other lines on my account (4 smartphones total). The 3 other smartphones DO NOT have eligible upgrades, only mine does and those phones are on a 2 GB per month data plan.

I have looked into different loopholes to keep unlimited data and get a new phone and as of right now I only know of two options: 1) Buy the phone at the regular, off contract price and 2) Some people have had luck purchasing the phone through Best Buy and keeping their unlimited data plan.

Here is my question on another option I am thinking might work....?

One of the smartphones belongs to my wife. Transfer my upgrade to her and let her purchase the new phone under her phone #. One she receives the phone, she uses it for a short period of time (1 day, 1 week, ever?) and then I just factory reset that phone and call in and register activate it under my phone number and put her phone back on hers. I don't see how it would be very different than me buying a phone from someone on a site like Swappa and activating it as my own.

Does anyone know if this is possible or if this scenario will work?