Super Easy Root Method for Tab 10.1 (Noob Friendly Guide)

Search This thread

maz2001

Jun 11, 2012
London
Rooted :)

Hi,

Its been a month since Ive rooted (first root ever) and its worked flawlessly. Thank you very much.

Due to the ICS supposedly round the corner (seeding out to GTab7.7) does anyone suggest a suitanle method to unroot? Im on stock rom, only rooted my device with the file provided.

this_is_nick6

Apr 18, 2011
Halifax
OnePlus 8
For unrooting, find your stock firmware and flash it via ODIN. It seems intimidating at first but it's actually easy (although not 'Super Easy' (lame joke)) ;).

I can provide stock Rogers firmware (which of course comes full of carrier bloatware) for anyone using that variant, just pm me for it.

Edit: I just wanted to add that it was only my 3rd time using ODIN and I actually retained all of the files that I had on my SD card, is this common? I went from AOKP and restored to my rooted stock ROM, then used ODIN to flash the stock recovery and other firmware files. Is this something that only works from a stock ROM or has anyone went from AOKP or CM9 and flashed via ODIN while still retaining all of their files, apps, passwords, etc? Again, not super familiar with ODIN.

Last edited:
Reactions: maz2001

kenjiwing

Oct 10, 2010
Did these steps on my verizon tab.. rooted worked perfectly. I installed recovery but could not boot into it.

Any ideas?

UKseagull

Apr 28, 2008
Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 / S7 Plus
For unrooting, find your stock firmware and flash it via ODIN. It seems intimidating at first but it's actually easy (although not 'Super Easy' (lame joke)) ;). .

Just for future use (I'm not yet rooted), I already have the firmware file for my UK Tab and it's named P7510XXKL2_P7510XEUKL2_XEU.zip. As this is a.zip file (from the Sammy site) and not a .tar file, does it need to be flashed differently with Odin?

Reactions: jon200pa

Benj555

Oct 29, 2009
Easiest root method ever. I can't believe this topic is not a sticky or in the official guide to rooting the samsung galaxy tab 10.1.

My european 10.1 tab, wifi version is now running smoothly on ICS thanks to this file.:good::good::good:

badogg

Mar 11, 2011
I am glad this is here, I just unrooted and reflashed earlier and now want root again. Lol

krist28

Sep 5, 2010
Jakarta
Not workin on ICS

any idea on how to easy root on ICS Tab 10.1?

Tried this method on ICS somehow cannot mount the /sdcard in recovery mode....

anyone ever tried this successfully on ICS?

SANCAH

Mar 6, 2012
Saffron Walden
any idea on how to easy root on ICS Tab 10.1?

Tried this method on ICS somehow cannot mount the /sdcard in recovery mode....

anyone ever tried this successfully on ICS?

I installed ICS (downloaded the firmware from SamMobile) onto my UK WiFi-only tab 10.1 yesterday. I used [ROOT] ODIN MOBILE to install it directly from my tab and chose the EverRoot option during flashing. That was supposed to root the update file and inject Super User and Odin into the firmware during update. Anyway, the update went well. I've got ICS, but.... I don't have root, I don't have Odin Mobile. Just now I tried the Super Easy Root Method for Tab 10.1 (that's how I got it rooted in the first place) to root my tab again and it didn't work! The renamed file is in the root of the internal memory as per instructions. When I reboot into recovery I have the following on the screen:

Android System Recovery <3e>"

Reboot system now
Apply update from external storage
Wipe data/factory reset
Wipe cache partition
Apply update from cache

So, there's no option to update from internal storage/memory. I tried the external option and all I get is: "E: unknown volume for path [/sdcard]". I can't actually see my update .zip file from anywhere. I also tried to do it from a USB stick using one of those Samsung adapters. Doesn't work - the same error message. "Apply update from cache" option doesn't work either as you have to have root in the first place to put the update file there.

Sorry for a lengthy post, just wanted to make clear I wasn't doing something I wasn't supposed to. Any help with easy method for ICS would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

dr-PHP

Jun 10, 2011
Installing Clockworkmod:

1. After confirming the Superuser app is installed and you in fact have root access, download ROM Manager from the Play Store.
2. Open ROM Manager and choose "Install Clockworkmod Recovery"
3. Select "Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1" to make sure the right recovery is installed, and wait a minute or so as it installs.
4. Towards the end, ROM Manager will prompt you for root access to complete the install.

I CANNOT SEESamsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 IT SAYS NOT AVAILBLE AND i HAVE TO DO IT MANUALY

ANY ADVICE

MY FIRM P5100

this_is_nick6

Apr 18, 2011
Halifax
OnePlus 8
I installed ICS (downloaded the firmware from SamMobile) onto my UK WiFi-only tab 10.1 yesterday. I used [ROOT] ODIN MOBILE to install it directly from my tab and chose the EverRoot option during flashing. That was supposed to root the update file and inject Super User and Odin into the firmware during update. Anyway, the update went well. I've got ICS, but.... I don't have root, I don't have Odin Mobile. Just now I tried the Super Easy Root Method for Tab 10.1 (that's how I got it rooted in the first place) to root my tab again and it didn't work! The renamed file is in the root of the internal memory as per instructions. When I reboot into recovery I have the following on the screen:

Reboot system now
Wipe data/factory reset
Wipe cache partition
Apply update from cache

So, there's no option to update from internal storage/memory. I tried the external option and all I get is: "E: unknown volume for path [/sdcard]". I can't actually see my update .zip file from anywhere. I also tried to do it from a USB stick using one of those Samsung adapters. Doesn't work - the same error message. "Apply update from cache" option doesn't work either as you have to have root in the first place to put the update file there.

Sorry for a lengthy post, just wanted to make clear I wasn't doing something I wasn't supposed to. Any help with easy method for ICS would be greatly appreciated.

This method hasn't been tested on ICS (aside from you testing it ;)), it may not work at all. If anyone has used this successfully for ICS, do let us know and I'll update the post.

this_is_nick6

Apr 18, 2011
Halifax
OnePlus 8
I CANNOT SEESamsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 IT SAYS NOT AVAILBLE AND i HAVE TO DO IT MANUALY

ANY ADVICE

MY FIRM P5100

My advice would be to flash a recovery manually anyways. I know it defeats the whole ODIN-free wire-free things I had going on, but some of the AOSP ROMS aren't flashable without a certain version of CWM (sorry, can't remember which one at the moment, just do some searching) unless of course CWM has been updated and CM9 is now flashable. I haven't been reading much on the Tab lately... I've been pretty distracted with my Galaxy S III lol.

ciekawy

Aug 13, 2012
flash provided version of CWM recovery image

worked like a charm, however regarding

Installing Clockworkmod:

to flash latest experimental CM10 I've got one stupid problem that takes me quite a lot of time to resolve. CWM installed by ROM Manager is in version 5.8.x.x and it won't allow to install latest CM10. Since I don't have M$ os I am unable to use odin to flash correct CWM version.

Here is how I was able to manage with it.

Having correct recovery.tar.md5 (eg 6.0.1.1 is available to download alogn with CM10 pershoot build) I have untarred it to recovery.img. Having busybox and dropbear I have to ssh to my tab and do 'ps' to find process id of ROM manager. Then using lsof | grep "pid" I have found the place where ROM Manager was downloading unwanted version of CWM image to. I'm not sure now, but I guess it should be in '/data/data/com.koushikdutta.rommanager/cache/'. Then after choosing Flash CWM Recovery in Rom Manager (this operation can be done as many times as needed) each time ROM Manager is downloading recovery image to some file containing many digits and .tmp suffix (eg 53444534.tmp). So the main part is to prepare commands that removes .tmp file and copy correct version of recovery img into a file named with same digits (eg if file while downloading is '53444534.tmp' - you need to copy 'recovery.img' into a '53444534'). Those commands (removing '.tmp' and creating new file) has to be done while ROM Manager is downloading the image. It will use then our replaced image to be flashed. WARNING this is tricky since can lead to unpredictable consequences if replaced recovery.img is invalid.

Whole seems to be complicated but the idea itself is simple. Anyway there is an option 'Flash alternate recovery', but ii is disabled and I don't know how to provide such alternate file so the ROM Manager can see it.

badogg

Mar 11, 2011
Just an FYI guys, I tried to do this after accepting the ICS OTA firmware update, and it doesn't work. I can't get it to browse for the update.zip through the standard recovery.

deanwoof

Aug 14, 2007
it doesn't work on my t-mobile 10.1 sgh t859.

it installs super user, but root checker and titanium bakcup says no root rights.

:(

pandabear

Oct 7, 2006
help guys?

Thanks buddy, this summarizes exactly what I face now.

Went to http://androidsu.com/superuser/ and flashed some updated ARM binaries and the latest superuser apk, but still i am stuck after 6 hours trying to gain root back.

can some one suggest an alternate method,,, please?

:confused:

Reboot system now
Wipe data/factory reset
Wipe cache partition
Apply update from cache

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If this is some sort of duplicate post, please delete it, but I could not find something like this anywhere. I want to share my method for gaining root access + installing CWM recovery on the Rogers Galaxy Tab 10.1. This should work on other variants, those who can confirm please comment and I'll update the post.

Update:
    Now confirmed on WiFi model AND Verizon Model (thanks Rockaholic94 and badogg for testing).

Rooting:

1. Download this file and rename it as "update.zip"
    2. Put the update.zip file on the root of your tab's SD card
    3. While your tab is powered on or off (doesn't matter), hold the volume down (volume up on VZW Model) + power key to bring up the option to select recovery mode or download mode.
    4. Choose the recovery mode option (box picture) by hitting the volume down key then selecting with the volume up key.
    5. Now that you're in the factory android recovery menu, choose "Install update from SD card".
    6. Highlight the update.zip file using the volume buttons and the power button to select.
    7. Confirm Superuser is in your list of apps :D

Let it do its thing and it is now rooted.

Installing Clockworkmod:

1. After confirming the Superuser app is installed and you in fact have root access, download ROM Manager from the Play Store.
    2. Open ROM Manager and choose "Install Clockworkmod Recovery"
    3. Select "Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1" to make sure the right recovery is installed, and wait a minute or so as it installs.
    4. Towards the end, ROM Manager will prompt you for root access to complete the install.

Congrats, you now have root access and CWM Recovery.

This was tested on my 3G device running 3.2 for the record, but it should work on 3.1 also. Please let me know what devices you've been successful using this method for, and remember the "thanks" button too ;).

Guide was written by myself, but I grabbed the root file from this post on Android Authority. Props to whoever the original owner of that file is... :D Also, not responsible for bricking devices etc etc etc.
    I did it on my Wifi only 10.1 tab and it worked perfectly.
    I'm not a huge ODIN fan myself. I only have experience with ODIN from my 7" Galaxy Tab but I like simple methods that don't require a computer. I completed this method by simply using Dropbox to transfer the root file to my device, the built-in file manager to rename the file, stock recovery to flash it, then CWM via ROM Manager from the Play Store......... NO WIRES :D :D
    Just to be clear, this method works fine on the Wifi P7510 gtab 10.1 (US) with ICS right?

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S III

Actually this does not work with ICS but there are other threads that have root methods for ICS. Also a few YouTube vids on rooting GTab with ICS.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using XDA Premium HD app
    Method no longer works in Stock ICS

Stock ICS no longer allows update.zip (default /mnt/sdcard [=/sdcard] location) to be loaded via Stock Recovery main menu update from external (SD card).

External storage is defaulted to "/sdcard", which is not the external USB Host drive (standard recovery mode, that is), neither does it seem to be the highest non-root accessible location. I will probably go the ODIN/CWM route now, as this super easy method now seems to be locked out by Samsung's finest.

EDIT:
    ODIN/CWM did not work out, as first a scrolling CWM menu, and then, after pershoots bootloader installation a scrolling wakeup screen.

/sdcard is present, (soft)link to /mnt/sdcard (or vice versa, still have to look) when ICS is running, but it looks like it is only a temporary link, created during boot-up. Standard recovery of ICS does not see /sdcard, or maybe looks for another filename (i.e. not "update.zip") to load. I am not sure, but the end-result is that standard recovery in ICS does not allow for this method to work as described.