G-Slate root

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Chandon

May 1, 2009
There's no G-Slate forum yet, so this goes here.

How to root your T-Mobile G-Slate

This process works under Linux. The hard part under Windows would be mounting a file as an ext4 filesystem, but if you can do that you win.

You need:

• The four files in the gslate_root.zip archive attached to this post.

To root:

1. Put those four files in a directory and open a terminal to there.
  2. Shut down your G-Slate and plug it into your computer via USB.
  3. Hold down both volume buttons and press the power button. The G-Slate will not appear to turn on, but it'll go into APX mode.
  4. Running "lsusb" should show an entry "0955:7820 NVidia Corp."
  5. Run the command "sudo su" to get a root shell. Running "ls" should still show the four files.
  6. ./nvflash --bl bootloader.bin --getpartitiontable ptable.txt
  7. ./nvflash -r --read 8 system-orig.img
  8. Wait while 400 meg of data copies.
  9. cp system-orig.img system.img
  10. mkdir system
  11. mount -o loop system.img system
  12. cp su system/bin
  13. chmod 4755 system/bin/su
  14. cp Superuser.apk system/app
  15. umount system
  16. ./nvflash -r --download 8 system.img
  17. Wait while it copies back.
  18. ./nvflash -r --sync
  19. Press the reset button under the sim cover to reboot.

There's your rooted G-Slate. Making that process "one click" is going to suck.

Troubleshooting:

• You may need to install the package libstdc++6 or lib32stdc++6 to get nvflash to run.
  • You may need to use "sudo" on the nvflash commands.
  • If you want to try to make this work on Windows, the nvflash.exe binary and the APX USB drivers are are available from nvidia.com

Attachments

• gslate_root.zip
    828.1 KB · Views: 6,869
Last edited:

Bling_Diggity

Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, WA
www.g-slatefans.com
EDIT: For future reference, DO NOT use Virtual Box to try and root your device. There are issues getting the drivers to work properly. Lsusb will not work. The following methods have been tested and work:

1. Wubi install of Ubuntu Linux
2. VMware install of Ubuntu Linux
3. Dual-boot install of ""
4. Dedicated Linux box (duh)

And remember: If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then visit our IRC channel.

Trying this on Windows 7 is gonna be a trip. Never workt with ext4 before.

Last edited:

deez1234

Aug 24, 2010
Install Ubuntu and you can dual boot into Windows or Ubuntu. That's what I do.

Sent from my LG-V909 using XDA Premium App

Last edited:

deez1234

Aug 24, 2010
This method is confirmed working. Thank you so much for the hard work Chandon. It wasn't very hard to complete on Linux. I can't believe my G-Slate is rooted!!!! Hell yes! Oh and the device is not wiped during the process either just to let everyone know!

SmellyTunic

Apr 29, 2006
Some More Help

Would it be possible to pull the recovery partition off now?

Why I ask. I am in a bit of a pickle. My slate will get to the first LG boot screen and then freeze. It does not even go to the boot animation. I can still get into fastboot and APX mode and it is seen by my computer.

How did i get here. While poking around in fastboot I am pretty sure i wiped they recovery partition D'OH.

I was able to complete the steps listed (for root) with out issue but still cannot get past the boot screen since this is only modifying the system partition.

I am thinking that if that could be pulled from the device i could flash it to mine and bring my slate back to life?

Am I way off on this one?

Chandon

May 1, 2009
SmellyTunic -

Attached are all the reasonably small partitions that I could pull off my device with nvflash. This should be everything except /system, /cache, and /data.

I suggest backing everything up before flashing any of these, on the off chance that there's some difference between devices.

Attachments

• stock-partial.zip
    7.6 MB · Views: 477
Reactions: SmellyTunic

shinkinrui

Oct 8, 2009
Thanks so much for this! Is there a good linux live cd(or bootable usb flash drive) someone could suggest where this could be accomplished easily? Not ready to take the plunge actually installing linux on my system yet >.>

Chandon

May 1, 2009
I suggest doing a Wubi install [1], where Ubuntu pretends to be a Windows app (which you can then uninstall like any other app later). Alternatively you could try using VirtualBox [2], but that's less guaranteed to work.

The only reason I wouldn't do this with a Live CD is that you'd risk losing your backup of the stock /system partition when you reboot. It would also make losing power in the middle of the flash really annoying.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide
[2] (edit: virtual box doesn't easily see the USB device)

Last edited:

shinkinrui

Oct 8, 2009
Thanks guys, reading about that Wubi solution looks like the simplest way to have a dual-boot system. I like it! I'll be getting my root on later tonight :)

deez1234

Aug 24, 2010
i prefer Ubuntu just cause you can install it in windows then simply restart and boot into Linux or Windows. This way you don't need to worry about not having Linux again.

Chandon

May 1, 2009
Any chance you know off hand which one of those partitions is the recovery?

I'm sure that /system is 8 and the kernel is 13, but don't know about anything else. You might be able to figure it out by reading the ptable.txt file generated by the --getpartitiontable command - it's pretty clear except for the part where it uses 3 letter partition names.

deez1234

Aug 24, 2010
While we are on the topic of development, we really need a forum over here at XDA for the G-Slate!

Bete Noire

Apr 29, 2011
www.kingdomofloathing.com
I have no idea why I'd ever need/want to root my G Slate, I'm fairly simple in my desires for my device - but I have to say I'm delighted to see it is possible and am ever so grateful for folks who figure this stuff out because it keeps moving G Slate towards legitimacy. ;)

Thank you!!

Bling_Diggity

Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, WA
www.g-slatefans.com
The hard part under Windows would be mounting a file as an ext4 filesystem, but if you can do that you win.

No kidding. Since the linux method failed miserably for me, I've decided to press forward with trying to do it on Windows. Problem is, I have yet to find any way to mount an ext4 filesystem on Windows. There are several options out there that will allow you to read ext4 filesystems on Windows, but not write. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There's no G-Slate forum yet, so this goes here.

How to root your T-Mobile G-Slate

This process works under Linux. The hard part under Windows would be mounting a file as an ext4 filesystem, but if you can do that you win.

You need:

• The four files in the gslate_root.zip archive attached to this post.

To root:

1. Put those four files in a directory and open a terminal to there.
    2. Shut down your G-Slate and plug it into your computer via USB.
    3. Hold down both volume buttons and press the power button. The G-Slate will not appear to turn on, but it'll go into APX mode.
    4. Running "lsusb" should show an entry "0955:7820 NVidia Corp."
    5. Run the command "sudo su" to get a root shell. Running "ls" should still show the four files.
    6. ./nvflash --bl bootloader.bin --getpartitiontable ptable.txt
    7. ./nvflash -r --read 8 system-orig.img
    8. Wait while 400 meg of data copies.
    9. cp system-orig.img system.img
    10. mkdir system
    11. mount -o loop system.img system
    12. cp su system/bin
    13. chmod 4755 system/bin/su
    14. cp Superuser.apk system/app
    15. umount system
    16. ./nvflash -r --download 8 system.img
    17. Wait while it copies back.
    18. ./nvflash -r --sync
    19. Press the reset button under the sim cover to reboot.

There's your rooted G-Slate. Making that process "one click" is going to suck.

Troubleshooting:

• You may need to install the package libstdc++6 or lib32stdc++6 to get nvflash to run.
    • You may need to use "sudo" on the nvflash commands.
    • If you want to try to make this work on Windows, the nvflash.exe binary and the APX USB drivers are are available from nvidia.com
    THIS!!

So I was in IRC lurking and i seen this.... Hope it helps... ;)

<CR-Slate> ok... i just booted 3.1... flashed our CRF-Bawse 3.1 kernel... patched BL in a 3.1 update zip... so we are 3.1 w/fastboot flashing now... so on to ICS
    <CR-Slate> i will upload the incremental update zip that allows it all... u will have to downgrade if u havent yet using my downgrader then flash my update zip....
    <CR-Slate> but u will have newest radio, all patches... netflix works... and yes... kernels are back.... u should see what i could do if i had a computer ;)
    <CR-Slate> screenshot for proof in a sec... hard to do FROM the slate :p
    <ChiefzReloaded> CR-incremental_patched_update-unlocked-BL.zip is uploading to my public dropbox folder
    <ChiefzReloaded> i guess a screeny does nada since i "could" just be booting instead of flashing... soooooo.... u guys backup sd, use downgrader.... flash my zip... DL the 3.1 kernel... and fastboot flash boot """"".img and reboot... ur welcome
    <ChiefzReloaded> :p
    <ChiefzReloaded> when i come back i always come bearing gifts right?

See you soon w/ a DL link once its done uploading.... -CR

EDIT: Here ya go... Have fun... DOWNLOAD

Goodnight....
    thanks for the guide.. I wish we could unlock the bootloader and overclock.. :)

Speaking of the bootloader.... I made progress!! I am now running 3.0.1 again, with my CRF-Bawse OC-UV-CFQ-DL-NEON-CIFS beta 2 kernel FLASHED, not just booted, and the bootloader lock is gone. Netflix DRM errors gone as well, titanium backup fixed etc etc.... If anyone is interested hit me on twitter, gtalk, or gmail... You will lose all of your internal storage stuff so that you will have to back up, but other than that my device is like new again with all our old mods etc. 3.2 didnt bring me enough to keep it if I could bypass the BL issue. And I did it seems. Soooo... With that said, I will be working on a bootstrap app for the recovery from the sd card, and since ICS source is here, push on with that. I know LG wont any time soon. Cheers -CR
    I just used my Downgrader setup 3 times in a row and it worked like a charm... In fact, I used it, with a new patched bootloader and "itsmagic" to achieve where I am at now. Custom kernel etc.... Can you give me a little info... Operating system of your machine (Linux OS) what device you have and current build (G-Slate or Optimus Pad) and what steps you took in the exact order. It sounds mundane but the smallest things can effect function sadly. I have seen that error before but not in this context and usually that's a corrupt file via bad download etc. If its the flash.cfg that's throwing the error, try this one. Put it in the downgrader directory and try again. Also you may want to try opening a terminal in that directory and doing "chmod 755 *" without "s and hit enter then proceed with the cmd. If it fails once, you have to reset the device with the button under the battery door for any nvflash cmds to not throw the 0x4 error that this BL brought us. I can be reached via email, gtalk and twitter if you need personal assistance. chiefz.reloaded@gmail.com and twitter is in my sig.

As far as "dev willing to work on this thing" comment.. I didn't exactly just show up. ;) I have been here for months but had some family/work/home/money issues and took a break... I released the first custom kernel, and teamed up with Faye from the #g-slate IRC channel to create the CRF-Bawse kernels with OC/UV, USB host functions etc. I built the CWM recovery we used to root and originally put 3.1 on the slate before LG burned us... All of which has been on my github since I got the device. I then went at reverse engineering the SBK (secure boot key) hidden in the bootloader binary, learning from sc2k and with the help of RaYmAn who works on another tablet that uses nvlash which I previously was barely familiar with since I had a g2x for a little while. Anyways, long story short, yeah we are scarce with interest on cracking this thing but I have tried to lead the pack and if no one hops on board, so be it. But as long as I have a g-slate, LG isn't gonna hold me down with their garbage updates and locked BL BS... I will keep on truckin' and try my best to bring you guys with me... and I am still happy to be here... -CR
    Nice job man... Mine was pretty outdated I admit... Health issues and now the theft of my laptop (my only PC) and my sensation, have set me back to the stone age... Kinda upset lol... Alot of work was on there... At least the downgrader was in the cloud already. I will assist whoever wants to take the reigns but it will all be verbal through gtalk or something from my Doubleshot. Sorry guys... Again, good job... My latest project was the bootstrap and 4ext Touch recovery. If you havent seen it yet, check it out. Its full of #WIN... CR