[GUIDE] Basic Tips to avoid Bricking your phone

Search This thread

weeman45

Sep 21, 2011
Okay this is my first post (yaaaay).
I've been lurking around xda for quite a while now and bought my desire s some days ago. Now i s-offed and rooted it and installed virtuous rom on it.

I just read this thread and got kinda scared because i simultaneously update everything. I even pulled the battery and re-inserted it instantly.
Now if i try to run the terminal command i get:
cat/sys/devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc0/mmc0:0001/name: not found

Do i have to use some special terminal app or just anything from market?
I know that after i get a reply i'll facepalm so hard as noone did before.

Also if i'm already typing: Is there a way to use adb on a mac?

Thanks in advance for your help.

ben_pyett

Oct 28, 2006
London, Colchester, Wivenhoe
I've been lurking around xda for quite a while now and bought my desire s some days ago. Now i s-offed and rooted it and installed virtuous rom on it.

I just read this thread and got kinda scared because i simultaneously update everything. I even pulled the battery and re-inserted it instantly.

On a Mac can you not now virtual PC? If yes then install adb within that, set link in my signature, download and extract into directory in that

Swyped from my Desire S using XDA Premium

Reactions: weeman45

kylon

Dec 17, 2010
How can i see my eMMC chip?
I did everything that you wrote there =P
But luckly i didn t bricked my chip

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA Premium App

ben_pyett

Oct 28, 2006
Try the app TERMINAL EMULATOR. Worked for me.

Hey ben, i can never get adb to work. Do i need the android SDK? Or just htc drivers?

Well I use the proper way which is to do download the JDK, then ADK, amend PATH variables (there are many guides to follow - google them), but using that link I provided in signature is a shortcut method that works if you really need in a hurry. Both require the HTC Drivers (normally installing ADK puts on drivers for standard google NEXUS devices) but we have to manually install the HTC drivers ourselves.

If you use my shortcut (which I stole from various other sources) you extract to a directory and must run the CMD from the directory that you extracted the files to?

What errors do you get?

Last edited:

lynxnoon

Jul 6, 2011
Lagos
I tried using that command but didn't get any response except likely commands that I can execute
Can someone pls tell me the exact command to type and how?
Thanks
PS: it recognised my device when I typed in 'abd devices' at the prompt.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA App

ben_pyett

Oct 28, 2006
I tried using that command but didn't get any response except likely commands that I can execute
Can someone pls tell me the exact command to type and how?
Thanks
PS: it recognised my device when I typed in 'abd devices' at the prompt.

There must have been a typo in one of the versions of the command that someone wrote in one of the posts above:

Here is the working version (and the actual output) when I just ran in from my PC from within a Command Prompt (CMD)

Code:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Support Tools>adb shell
# cat /sys/devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0:0001/name
cat /sys/devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0:0001/name
M4G2DE
#

weeman45

Sep 21, 2011
On a Mac can you not now virtual PC? If yes then install adb within that, set link in my signature, download and extract into directory in that

Didn't bother to use virtual PC yet since i've got access to windows computers too. I used adb to root my device so i already had it installed.
after a while i figured out it was a typo. I didn't put a space between the cat and the path.

Hey ben, i can never get adb to work. Do i need the android SDK? Or just htc drivers?

Finally it worked with terminal emulator and the correct command :D
Sadly i got the M4G2DE. I'll post here if i notice any issues but the first two weeks i got the phone now were quite convenient. I'll be careful though.

Thank you all for your help :)

lynxnoon

Jul 6, 2011
Lagos
guys
mine is also M4G2DE!!:(:eek:
i guess i have been lucky with d several battery removals n stuff
will be careful from now on n follow the guide above...

Vasoski

Sep 20, 2011
Lion City
Hi guys.. just wanna share my experience. My DS bricked 3 weeks ago. What happened was, after I flashed a new ROM, market did all updates on my apps and at the same time I tried to restore few of my apps from Titanium.. Then I got most apps appeared force close. Suddenly the first bootloop.. My DS hanged.. I can't switched it off. Pulled the battery out and insert it again. Can't remember how fast I insert it back as I was quite in a panicky state.

Once it's on, I did the same thing.. Market keep updating my apps and I let it run the whole night..

The next morning...., my worst fear came... I can't switched it on.. I pulled out the battery and insert it back again.. it hanged on the HTC logo.. I went to recovery and tried to wipe my data... it came out:

E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/command
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log

And I'm stuck to no where.. I tried a lot of stuffs to recover it but still failed..
I thought of totally bricking the phone before sending it back to HTC so that they won't know if I S-Offed.... But I didn't know how to do it...

So I decided to just proceed to HTC, preparing myself that the warranty had already void.. To my surprised, my DS can't even start when the HTC stuff tried to switch it on. She tried to boot it into Hboot but it refused to on. She plugged in the charger, it refused to charge. She changed the battery.. Again it cannot on.. Gave me a receipt and the next 3 days, they delivered it back right at my door step without any charges.. They informed me that there is something wrong with my motherboard and changed it to a new one... :)

kylon

Dec 17, 2010
Whitch chip extactly have this problem?
And what is the cause?
Ie why a download can break a chip???
I m curious to know how this can happen

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA Premium App

No-New-Phone

Jan 15, 2011
Xiaomi Poco F1
yes, sadly there is.

Run this command in the terminal app or ADB

Post the result. If it's M4G2DE, your with us, faulty eMMC

Those of you using the app RootExplorer can just follow the path, scroll down to "name" and then select "view as text". (maybe that works as well with other file managers as well, just check it out).

Mine is M4G2DE as well, but I (gladly) have never had any problems at all.

Reactions: Tapur007

Tapur007

Sep 28, 2011
eMMC

Thanks for the Guide Guys !!

& Sorry, if this has been asked earlier . . .

Although , i was able to reboot the device via adb, When i enter the command via the command prompt (in the folder C:\android-tools),

It always says 'cat' is not recognized as an internal or external command , etc etc ..

Tectas

Jul 26, 2011
Thanks for the Guide Guys !!

& Sorry, if this has been asked earlier . . .

Although , i was able to reboot the device via adb, When i enter the command via the command prompt (in the folder C:\android-tools),

cat /sys/devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0:0001/name /sys/devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0:0001/name

It always says 'cat' is not recognized as an internal or external command , etc etc ..

Maybe you didn't do it right ;)
The full command is:
adb shell cat /sys/.... ( the points
just indicate that I don't wanna write the full path^^)

Swyped from my Desire S

Reactions: Tapur007

Tectas

Jul 26, 2011
How can I stop market from re-installing all my apps everytime y change to a new rom? (i've got no titanium backup)

I'm not sure, but at the google account setup is an option synchronize account or so, unticking it should avoid the download.

Swyped from my Desire S

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys, if you've read around this forum, you must be familiar with the infamous bricked eMMC problems. This, sadly, is a hardware issue, and once it's bricked, you have no choice but to get the eMMC replaced by a professional. Following the popular saying, "Prevention is Better Than Cure", here are a few tips to prevent the eMMC chips from burning

=> Do not download multiple apps at once from the market. Even two simultaneous apps can screw your phone up.

=> Never Use the "UPDATE ALL" feature from the market. Update each app separately.

=> When you flash a new ROM, restore your apps using titanium backup before adding a Google Account. This will prevent the market from restoring all your apps at once.

=> NEVER EVER PULL THE BATTERY This is very important. Pulling your battery out is the most prominent cause of eMMC bricks. Use alternatives like -

=> Use ADB Commands to reboot into recovery

=> Press the Volume up, Volume Down and Power buttons together to reeboot the phone. In a bootloop, take off the battery cover (without pulling the battery) and press the buttons. The phone will turn off for 2-3 seconds before it turns back on. That's your window. Pull the battery in this time.

=> If you absolutely have to pull the battery, re-insert it at least 30 seconds later.
    ADB Commands

ADB Commands

You'll obviously need ADB on your PC, so download and extract the adb & fastboot onto your PC which you'll see in a link in my signature. Ensure that you have HTC drivers on your PC if not also download and install the link in my signature.

Plug phone into PC by USB cable.

Then fire up a CMD on your PC, go to directory where you put adb and issue the command
    Code:
    [B][COLOR="Blue"]adb devices [/B][/COLOR]    [COLOR="YellowGreen"]  ---- what is the result?[/COLOR]
    If your device appears to be recognised that's good, so next try

Code:
    [COLOR="Blue"][B]adb reboot recovery[/B][/COLOR]

[B][COLOR="YellowGreen"]OR[/COLOR] [/B]

[COLOR="Blue"][B]adb reboot bootloader[/B][/COLOR]
    yes, sadly there is.

Run this command in the terminal app or ADB

Post the result. If it's M4G2DE, your with us, faulty eMMC