How can i root my Xperia PLAY 4g???

Search This thread

tbird775

Apr 16, 2012
Ft. Myers
Hello everyone from XDA, im new to posting here and new to rooting phones and all that. This Xperia PLAY is the R800at model from at&t running 2.3.3, and its also my first Android phone. I love it but i read about people who root their phones and can make their phone do so much more and run faster and all that. I am not a complete newb to tech stuff, for example i can jailbreak a ps3 and an iPhone. But androids are alot tougher, or so they seem to be since there's many different versions of the same phone like the Xperia PLAY, there's like 4 or 5 different ones. Anyway i just want a complete noob guide to rooting this version phone, (if that's even possible). If there's words or terms that you include that have a specific meaning that you don't think a newb would know, please tell me what it means. One more thing, will i need to unlock boot loader??? Btw wtf does that even mean! Lol..... Thank you so much guys for reading and hopefully responding with a good super newbee tutorial! :D

Edit: I'm sorry if i made anyone mad, like i said i'm new so i probably should have posted this in the Q and A's section.

Sent from my R800at using xda premium

Last edited:

brock029

Feb 7, 2012
San Antonio
I just went through the same thing, and like spectre said if you have build .285 (go to settings-about phone- build number) it cant be done. So if your on .270 just search for flashtools, superoneclick, or doomlords rooting kit and then follow there instructions.

Reactions: tbird775

tbird775

Apr 16, 2012
Ft. Myers
I've got 0.270... So i guess thats good. Another thing, if i root, will this prevent me from being able to update to the new ICS update later?

tbird775

Apr 16, 2012
Ft. Myers
I've seen apps like Gingerbreak and z4 root that are supposed to be able to root your phone. Would this method work if i first unlock the bootloader, because they don't work right now.

Spectre51

I've seen apps like Gingerbreak and z4 root that are supposed to be able to root your phone. Would this method work if i first unlock the bootloader, because they don't work right now.

Download the latest superoneclick, latest flashtool or zergrush from doomlord. All three of those use the zergrush method to root and will work with .270

captain67

May 23, 2011
Aldergrove
The trick is to root the older firmware, and update through OTA so you keep root. It must be OTA, not PC companion or SEUS.

neverwinter

Oct 4, 2007
OK... I just bought the same phone, AT&T unlocked 4G, Android version 2.3.3., but it is build # 3.0.1.B.0.285... does this mean that I can't root it? Anything I can do to get it to root? Like flashing something or some other method?

neverwinter

Oct 4, 2007
Thanks a lot... I just rooted my phone now... now I am waiting forever to get the battery application installed.

neverwinter

Oct 4, 2007
So since I flashed and rooted my 4g XPlay, will updating it to .285 create any problems? Like not being able to root again or not being able to have root access? And is it better to have .285?

Spectre51

So since I flashed and rooted my 4g XPlay, will updating it to .285 create any problems? Like not being able to root again or not being able to have root access? And is it better to have .285?

You can go to .285 if you update over the air and keep root. Any other way and you will lose root and you can't root .285

Sent from my iPhone 4s

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What build number do you have? If you've updated to .285 there isn't a way to root yet that we've found. If you are still on .270 the look for zergrush or flashtool to root.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2
    I just went through the same thing, and like spectre said if you have build .285 (go to settings-about phone- build number) it cant be done. So if your on .270 just search for flashtools, superoneclick, or doomlords rooting kit and then follow there instructions.
    I've got 0.270... So i guess thats good. Another thing, if i root, will this prevent me from being able to update to the new ICS update later?

Nope you can still update.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2