[Guide] to Build your KitKat ROM (CM-AOKP-Carbon-Slim) x N5 from source (Ubuntu14LTS)

Search This thread

PippoX3

Aug 12, 2010
TN - Italy
aokp.co
Hi, my name's Stefano I'm from Italy, and sorry for my poor english. This is the guide to build your own the KitKat (or whatever branch you want) for your HammerHead. We'll start, obviously, setting up your client (PC), and here we'll use ubuntu x64. Is possible to use almost any linux distribution (also MacOSX) but I prefer to stay on what is much supported and known (for me!). This guide is taken from internet and reading forums/blogs. I didn't invent anything, you can found a lot of guides like this. Just this is updated with last changes. For the setup part I read and paste a lot from here (thanks to sylentprofet).
Regard the hardware side you'll need at least of:
  • a Dual Core processor
  • 4 Gb of RAM
  • 80 Gb of hard disk for each repository (Better if SSD but don't required)
  • The Graphics Card don't care, we don't use to compile
  • A good internet connection, you have to download up to 40 Gb of stuff
  • A lot of patience, if you aren't go to download a ready ROM, it's better!
  • Time, time, time, time and again time!

How to Configure Ubuntu for Properly Compiling Android ROMs​

This guide applies to Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail 64 bit (but also down to 12.04 LTS which is the version that I prefer). Do not use the 32 Bit version. Also, PAY CLOSE ATTENTION when to use “sudo” and when to not. It can make things funky if you do something as root that you shouldn’t. During normal build you don't have absolutely need to use "sudo", just during the PC setup.
Much thanks goes out to Google, ProTekk, Canonical, and everyone else that I read a random paragraph here and snippet there.
First, let’s set up the correct JDK.
Many of you probably have some kind of wrong Java installed. Sad cupcake.Let’s get rid of that. Copy and paste this into a Terminal window:
Code:
sudo apt-get purge openjdk-\* icedtea-\* icedtea6-\*

Back to the Terminal. Copypasta the following:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
This will add the correct PPA to your system for updated builds of Java 6 JDK that are compatible with 13.04 (or less). No more unrecognized Java version errors! Yay! And it’s self updating, so you don’t have to redownload binaries everytime they release a new version.

Next, we actually need to install the package. More copypasta:
Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install oracle-java6-installer

Follow the onscreen instructions. You have to Accept the Licensing Agreement or whatever. Hopefully no human centipede clauses. Once that is completed successfully, you will have to restart any open browsers with Java content for it to display correctly.

To make sure the correct version of Java is activated, run the following at the Terminal prompt:
Code:
java -version

You should see something like the following:
java version "1.6.0_45"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_45-b06)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.45-b01, mixed mode)​

Ok, back to a fresh Terminal prompt. Time for installing the guts to build stuff in Ubuntu. Because (K)Ubuntu no longer carries ia32-libs-multiarch and ia32-libs (from Saucy onwards), it is necessary to install from precise repos:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise main restricted universe multiverse"
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs-multiarch

once is installed, you can remove repository:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository --remove "deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise main restricted universe multiverse"
sudo apt-get update

Before start, install:
Code:
sudo apt-get install dpkg-dev

Code:
sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf build-essential zip curl zlib1g-dev zlib1g-dev:i386 libc6-dev lib32ncurses5-dev x11proto-core-dev libx11-dev:i386 libreadline6-dev:i386 lib32z-dev libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libgl1-mesa-dev g++-multilib mingw32 tofrodos python-markdown libxml2-utils xsltproc readline-common libreadline6-dev libreadline6 lib32readline-gplv2-dev libncurses5-dev lib32readline5 lib32readline6 libreadline-dev libreadline6-dev:i386 libreadline6:i386 bzip2 libbz2-dev libbz2-1.0 libghc-bzlib-dev lib32bz2-dev libsdl1.2-dev libesd0-dev squashfs-tools pngcrush schedtool libwxgtk2.8-dev python

And we wait. Don’t worry, this isn’t the crazy downloading part just yet.
When that is done, do this:
Code:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so

Now it's time to download and setup SDK Tools. First of all download Android SDK Tools for Linux x64. Extract the folder “sdk”, inside package, into your "Downloads" folder and rename it to "AndroidSDK" e.g..
Then come to your terminal and type:
Code:
cd ~/Downloads/AndroidSDK/tools
and after:
Code:
./android sdk

You can now see the GUI that propose all installable packages. Install Platform tools and Tools for most recent Android (4.4), with the most higher API (19+) version. Flag "accept" and install.

Once is complete, you have you need the binary for repo that will let you talk to git servers and download all that precious source code:
Code:
mkdir ~/bin

curl https://dl-ssl.google.com/dl/googlesource/git-repo/repo > ~/bin/repo

curl http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/git-repo-downloads/repo > ~/bin/repo

chmod a+x ~/bin/repo

Open "~/.bashrc" to add a line:
Code:
sudo nano ~/.bashrc

At the very bottom, add the following line:
Code:
export PATH=~/bin:$PATH

Save it. In nano that would be Ctrl-O and then Enter. Then Ctrl-X to exit back to a prompt. Type to restart bash:
Code:
source ~/.bashrc

Now you have all need to work (or play) with your ubuntu and it's time to give the sources (repositories) from your preferred Team (who share the source code for their rom). The most known host service for sources and projects is GitHub. E.g. https://github.com/CyanogenMod/
The point of start of any repo is its "manifest" (default.xml) where the team list all it's projects (here an example), only the necessary to the building process.
Until last year was necessary to compile (before begin and looking to platform manifest) an own local manifest where we exclude from download all the devices/kernel/vendor parts unnecessary for our device. This saves up to some Gigabytes of download.
Fortunately now the repositories will download itself the necessary devices/kernel/vendor parts when we'll choose ("lunch") the device to build ("make"). With the exception of AOKP who wanna know, before initialize your local repo, for which device/s you'd like build.

Now I'll write a section for each Team/ROM you want to initialize, that's for me has sense. How take a sense to put each "platform/project" in a different folder (e.g. CarbonDev in a folder and Cyanogenmod in another, both sons of your Home folder).
In the waiting to read next part, better familiarize a little with terms like "breakfast, brunch, lunch, make" into Android contest.

Last edited:

PippoX3

Aug 12, 2010
TN - Italy
aokp.co
Building Cyanogenmod

In the terminal, now we'll make a folder where to store the Android source code. Typically will make it in your home folder, within a folder called like your projected ROM, to identify from other stuff, open your terminal and type:
Code:
mkdir –p ~/Cyanogenmod
cd ~/Cyanogenmod

Now we are going to initialize your local repository, with the "branch" cm-11.0 (KitKat), in your terminal:
Code:
repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b cm-11.0

And now, the most long part of the story: you’re going to get the source. We have to download around 10-15 Gbytes. First of begin the process, you must to know that you can accelerate the process related to your processor and, obviously, to your internet band. You can choose the number of simultaneous processes to start. They depends from the "#" in the "-j" parameter. E.g. the option -j6 is related to a “normal” processor. If you have a performant processor and/or internet connection, try to increment putting –j10 or more. On terminal:
Code:
repo sync -j6

From time to time, check the situation on output, maybe occurs a pair of hours or a whole night. But when all will be done, you’re ready to build Android!

Once you finish your repo sync, you’ll ready to build. In your terminal, into your working folder type (pay attention at the initial “dot”):
Code:
. build/envsetup.sh

The commands are loaded, now you can build (tune your -j# parameter as you want):
Code:
breakfast hammerhead && make -j6 bacon

At the end of all, your fresh ROM to flash will be in Cyanogenmod/out/target/product/hammerhead. Happy flash!

Thanks @Lloir for supervision.

Last edited:

Cuzz1369

Jan 25, 2013
Kitchener
I am getting a tone of errors while compiling. Is this normal. I'm gonna assume as long as it doesn't stop everything should be OK.

Sent from my hammerhead

bitdomo

Nov 3, 2011
Göd
I was about to do the same guide :D. I have made the part for paranoidandroid and aosp yesterday, but I am now late. Btw good guide. Better than mine.

Make this thread a sticky thread!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: PippoX3

Cuzz1369

Jan 25, 2013
Kitchener
@PippoX3 I really appreciate this guide and your help. My phone just booted into my self comiled cm11. This is always something I've wanted to do since I flashed my first ROM a couple years ago. @Lloir it was actually one of yours "evervolv" for HOV I would like to thank both of you for your help thus far and look forward to continue to ask silly questions. To some this sounds like nothing special. But using a rom you compiled yourself for the first time is quite a rush. Thanks again...

Last edited:

PippoX3

Aug 12, 2010
TN - Italy
aokp.co
@PippoX3 I really appreciate this guide and your help. My phone just booted into my self comiled cm11. This is always something I've wanted to do since I flashed my first ROM a couple years ago. (@Llor it was actually one of yours "evervolv" for HOV) I would like to thank both of you for your help thus far and look forward to continue to ask silly questions. To some this sounds like nothing special. But using a rom you compiled yourself for the first time is quite a rush. Thanks again...

You're welcome mate. I remember my first builded and flashed rom for HtcOneS and was a big goal for me. Then I understand you. A step away to grow again and learn more and more. Dig it! :laugh:

Reactions: Cuzz1369
D

Deleted member 4391994

The only difference for aosp is just changing the link in repo init -u ? I wanna build a stock rom only with advanced brightness adjustment :D

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Cuzz1369

Jan 25, 2013
Kitchener
I'm getting this error while trying to install packages after the Java step.(Ubuntu 13.10)

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'lib32z1-dev' instead of 'lib32z-dev'
Package ia32-libs is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
However, the following packages replace it:
lib32z1 lib32ncurses5 lib32bz2-1.0

I moved on to the next step and receive this:

cuzz1369@Cuzz-Ubuntu:~$ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so
ln: failed to create symbolic link ‘/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so’: No such file or directory

Edit: Found my answer here

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=50353201

Last edited:

PippoX3

Aug 12, 2010
TN - Italy
aokp.co
I'm getting this error while trying to install packages after the Java step.(Ubuntu 13.10)

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'lib32z1-dev' instead of 'lib32z-dev'
Package ia32-libs is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
However, the following packages replace it:
lib32z1 lib32ncurses5 lib32bz2-1.0

I moved on to the next step and receive this:

cuzz1369@Cuzz-Ubuntu:~$ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so
ln: failed to create symbolic link ‘/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so’: No such file or directory

Edit: Found my answer here

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=50353201

I got issues with 13.10 (was a beta, now I don't know...) try 13.04. My prefer is 12.04 or 12.10.

Cuzz1369

Jan 25, 2013
Kitchener
So I successfully compile slimKat. It gave me 2 different zips in my out folder slim****ota***.zip which was 186mb and slim*****.zip which was only 156mb. What the difference between the two?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, my name's Stefano I'm from Italy, and sorry for my poor english. This is the guide to build your own the KitKat (or whatever branch you want) for your HammerHead. We'll start, obviously, setting up your client (PC), and here we'll use ubuntu x64. Is possible to use almost any linux distribution (also MacOSX) but I prefer to stay on what is much supported and known (for me!). This guide is taken from internet and reading forums/blogs. I didn't invent anything, you can found a lot of guides like this. Just this is updated with last changes. For the setup part I read and paste a lot from here (thanks to sylentprofet).
    Regard the hardware side you'll need at least of:
    • a Dual Core processor
    • 4 Gb of RAM
    • 80 Gb of hard disk for each repository (Better if SSD but don't required)
    • The Graphics Card don't care, we don't use to compile
    • A good internet connection, you have to download up to 40 Gb of stuff
    • A lot of patience, if you aren't go to download a ready ROM, it's better!
    • Time, time, time, time and again time!

How to Configure Ubuntu for Properly Compiling Android ROMs​

This guide applies to Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail 64 bit (but also down to 12.04 LTS which is the version that I prefer). Do not use the 32 Bit version. Also, PAY CLOSE ATTENTION when to use “sudo” and when to not. It can make things funky if you do something as root that you shouldn’t. During normal build you don't have absolutely need to use "sudo", just during the PC setup.
    Much thanks goes out to Google, ProTekk, Canonical, and everyone else that I read a random paragraph here and snippet there.
    First, let’s set up the correct JDK.
    Many of you probably have some kind of wrong Java installed. Sad cupcake.Let’s get rid of that. Copy and paste this into a Terminal window:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge openjdk-\* icedtea-\* icedtea6-\*

Back to the Terminal. Copypasta the following:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
    This will add the correct PPA to your system for updated builds of Java 6 JDK that are compatible with 13.04 (or less). No more unrecognized Java version errors! Yay! And it’s self updating, so you don’t have to redownload binaries everytime they release a new version.

Next, we actually need to install the package. More copypasta:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install oracle-java6-installer

Follow the onscreen instructions. You have to Accept the Licensing Agreement or whatever. Hopefully no human centipede clauses. Once that is completed successfully, you will have to restart any open browsers with Java content for it to display correctly.

To make sure the correct version of Java is activated, run the following at the Terminal prompt:
    Code:
    java -version

You should see something like the following:
    java version "1.6.0_45"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_45-b06)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.45-b01, mixed mode)​

Ok, back to a fresh Terminal prompt. Time for installing the guts to build stuff in Ubuntu. Because (K)Ubuntu no longer carries ia32-libs-multiarch and ia32-libs (from Saucy onwards), it is necessary to install from precise repos:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise main restricted universe multiverse"
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs-multiarch

once is installed, you can remove repository:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository --remove "deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise main restricted universe multiverse"
    sudo apt-get update

Before start, install:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install dpkg-dev

Code:
    sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf build-essential zip curl zlib1g-dev zlib1g-dev:i386 libc6-dev lib32ncurses5-dev x11proto-core-dev libx11-dev:i386 libreadline6-dev:i386 lib32z-dev libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libgl1-mesa-dev g++-multilib mingw32 tofrodos python-markdown libxml2-utils xsltproc readline-common libreadline6-dev libreadline6 lib32readline-gplv2-dev libncurses5-dev lib32readline5 lib32readline6 libreadline-dev libreadline6-dev:i386 libreadline6:i386 bzip2 libbz2-dev libbz2-1.0 libghc-bzlib-dev lib32bz2-dev libsdl1.2-dev libesd0-dev squashfs-tools pngcrush schedtool libwxgtk2.8-dev python

And we wait. Don’t worry, this isn’t the crazy downloading part just yet.
    When that is done, do this:
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so

Now it's time to download and setup SDK Tools. First of all download Android SDK Tools for Linux x64. Extract the folder “sdk”, inside package, into your "Downloads" folder and rename it to "AndroidSDK" e.g..
    Then come to your terminal and type:
    Code:
    cd ~/Downloads/AndroidSDK/tools
    and after:
    Code:
    ./android sdk

You can now see the GUI that propose all installable packages. Install Platform tools and Tools for most recent Android (4.4), with the most higher API (19+) version. Flag "accept" and install.

Once is complete, you have you need the binary for repo that will let you talk to git servers and download all that precious source code:
    Code:
    mkdir ~/bin

curl https://dl-ssl.google.com/dl/googlesource/git-repo/repo > ~/bin/repo

curl http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/git-repo-downloads/repo > ~/bin/repo

chmod a+x ~/bin/repo

Open "~/.bashrc" to add a line:
    Code:
    sudo nano ~/.bashrc

At the very bottom, add the following line:
    Code:
    export PATH=~/bin:$PATH

Save it. In nano that would be Ctrl-O and then Enter. Then Ctrl-X to exit back to a prompt. Type to restart bash:
    Code:
    source ~/.bashrc

Now you have all need to work (or play) with your ubuntu and it's time to give the sources (repositories) from your preferred Team (who share the source code for their rom). The most known host service for sources and projects is GitHub. E.g. https://github.com/CyanogenMod/
    The point of start of any repo is its "manifest" (default.xml) where the team list all it's projects (here an example), only the necessary to the building process.
    Until last year was necessary to compile (before begin and looking to platform manifest) an own local manifest where we exclude from download all the devices/kernel/vendor parts unnecessary for our device. This saves up to some Gigabytes of download.
    Fortunately now the repositories will download itself the necessary devices/kernel/vendor parts when we'll choose ("lunch") the device to build ("make"). With the exception of AOKP who wanna know, before initialize your local repo, for which device/s you'd like build.

Now I'll write a section for each Team/ROM you want to initialize, that's for me has sense. How take a sense to put each "platform/project" in a different folder (e.g. CarbonDev in a folder and Cyanogenmod in another, both sons of your Home folder).
    In the waiting to read next part, better familiarize a little with terms like "breakfast, brunch, lunch, make" into Android contest.
    Building Cyanogenmod

In the terminal, now we'll make a folder where to store the Android source code. Typically will make it in your home folder, within a folder called like your projected ROM, to identify from other stuff, open your terminal and type:
    Code:
    mkdir –p ~/Cyanogenmod
    cd ~/Cyanogenmod

Now we are going to initialize your local repository, with the "branch" cm-11.0 (KitKat), in your terminal:
    Code:
    repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b cm-11.0

And now, the most long part of the story: you’re going to get the source. We have to download around 10-15 Gbytes. First of begin the process, you must to know that you can accelerate the process related to your processor and, obviously, to your internet band. You can choose the number of simultaneous processes to start. They depends from the "#" in the "-j" parameter. E.g. the option -j6 is related to a “normal” processor. If you have a performant processor and/or internet connection, try to increment putting –j10 or more. On terminal:
    Code:
    repo sync -j6

From time to time, check the situation on output, maybe occurs a pair of hours or a whole night. But when all will be done, you’re ready to build Android!

Once you finish your repo sync, you’ll ready to build. In your terminal, into your working folder type (pay attention at the initial “dot”):
    Code:
    . build/envsetup.sh

The commands are loaded, now you can build (tune your -j# parameter as you want):
    Code:
    breakfast hammerhead && make -j6 bacon

At the end of all, your fresh ROM to flash will be in Cyanogenmod/out/target/product/hammerhead. Happy flash!

Thanks @Lloir for supervision.
    I might be getting a little ahead of myself by asking this, but if I wanted to build for another device (like grouper/Nexus 7 WiFi), what is the easiest way to do it? Do I just make another folder like Beanstalk-N7 and go through the whole process or can I make another file in local_manifest like grouper.xml and put the device specific files in there and then somehow tell the build to reference that file...

You just have to "brunch grouper". It will output it to a different folder.

Sent from my hammerhead

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
    Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.
    Note: packages/apps/Trebuchet/src/com/android/gallery3d/glrenderer/BasicTexture.java uses unchecked or unsafe operations.
    Note: Recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for details.
    target Java: Bluetooth (/home/cuzz1369/ck44/out/target/common/obj/APPS/Bluetooth_intermediates/classes)
    Note: Some input files use unchecked or unsafe operations.
    10 errors
    build/core/java.mk:330: recipe for target '/home/cuzz1369/ck44/out/target/common/obj/APPS/Settings_intermediates/classes-full-debug.jar' failed
    make: *** [/home/cuzz1369/ck44/out/target/common/obj/APPS/Settings_intermediates/classes-full-debug.jar] Error 41
    make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
    Note: Some input files use unchecked or unsafe operations.

Any Ideas on what went wrong
    Is there anyway how to insert some "cherrypicks" from other roms?

EDIT: and one more question, what are the steps when you are building your rom regularly? I soppose its not downloading the 15GB eveytime while syncing the repo.

Ah ah ah! The most often request. Cherry pick is relative simple. But I wouldn't face here in this thread ('cause is born only as a guide to build from ready sources) and because is a large argument.
    You can simply cherry-pick a commit, from gerrit and from your project (e.g. frameworks_base) opening the commit, look for cherry-pick button, copy the row-code (git fetch........ && git cherry-pick .......) and paste into your project folder (../frameworks/base) wait and you're done.
    But is always possible a conflict, and there you have to fix (manually often). Good luck.

So I tried the "lunch cm_jflte-eng" command and it builds and then stops at here... any ideas? I wish I knew more about building ROMs to help debug this...

Import includes file: /home/android/beanstalk/out/target/product/jflte/obj/SHARED_LIBRARIES/libwebviewchromium_intermediates/import_includes
    Import includes file: /home/android/beanstalk/out/target/product/jflte/obj/SHARED_LIBRARIES/libandroid_intermediates/import_includes
    Import includes file: /home/android/beanstalk/out/target/product/jflte/obj/SHARED_LIBRARIES/libandroid_runtime_intermediates/import_includes
    make: *** No rule to make target `/home/android/beanstalk/out/target/product/jflte/obj/lib/libtime_genoff.so', needed by `/home/android/beanstalk/out/target/product/jflte/obj/SHARED_LIBRARIES/libandroid_runtime_intermediates/LINKED/libandroid_runtime.so'. Stop.
    make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
    android@buiduntu-vm:~/beanstalk$

The error seems related to any kernel module or vendor blob. First of all, take a look on terminal, backwards until you see "error #". And check if you have the folders kernel/samsung/jflte and vendor/samsung/jflte.
    /home/fum/Downloads/AndroidSDK/ just like the guide states. Renamed it and everything.

Can you navigate to it with the file manager? If so you can add this to be able to right click then open in terminal from there. It's pretty nice to have this set up anyway if you type as slow as I do. lol