Waiting for Kitkat 4.4 for HTC Droid DNA

Search This thread

Jaggar345

May 24, 2012
Amston
Guys, a noob here. Just caught the news about KK coming over to Droid DNA. I have an unlocked version running Viper DNA 1.3.5 on Android version 4.1.1 with Sense 4.

Will I get notification of the KK update OTA since I'm in Canada and hence not running on Verizon's network and secondly, if I do the update, will I be able to run the ViperDNA as a dual boot option or is it even worthwhile to do that?

Thanks in advance folks!!!

No you won't get a notification if your running a custom rom.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

orangechoochoo

Nov 30, 2012
Beating up dumbbells
You will not get an ota notification, nor the ability to upgrade, since you're not on a stock ROM.

You must be on a stock ROM and recovery to get the notification and ability to apply the update.

Reactions: CovXX

nightbird4558

Apr 23, 2014
Thx for a prompt reply..Got it..So, will it be worthwhile to roll back to stock and do the update? Will I get the notification if I do go to stock even though I'm not on Verizon?

You will not get an ota notification, nor the ability to upgrade, since you're not on a stock ROM.

You must be on a stock ROM and recovery to get the notification and ability to apply the update.

---------- Post added at 03:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 AM ----------

Thx for a prompt reply..Got it..So, will it be worthwhile to roll back to stock and do the update? Will I get the notification if I do go to stock even though I'm not on Verizon?

Finally, is the ViperDNA version better than KK? Sorry, if my questions sound silly as I'm not too well versed in this aspect.

voxuanvy

Jan 25, 2009

You must attach the Verizon SIM into the device so that it updates OTA (can be done only in the U.S.), if not, they must flash the OTA ( .Zip format) manually through ADB utility

Last edited:

Jaggar345

May 24, 2012
Amston

---------- Post added at 03:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 AM ----------

Finally, is the ViperDNA version better than KK? Sorry, if my questions sound silly as I'm not too well versed in this aspect.

There is a viper version of kk venom 3.5. Its really stable and now that we have an ota to base it off of, it should be even better.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

tamlin42

Aug 1, 2009
Does KitKat play nice with PDANet these days? I rely on it for decent internet service at home.

orangechoochoo

Nov 30, 2012
Beating up dumbbells
Once the ota comes out I would defer applying the update until we get confirmation it doesn't prevent root access or that firewater works.

I know people here are anxious for an official update, but do you really want the update if it locks things down, especially since we have a legacy device which is not so prominent on a hacker's mind (the Verizon S5 has a few thousand dollar bounty, I doubt we can work up something that enticing).

Patience is a virtue that is difficult to exercise, but is usually beneficial.

Last edited:

Spider210

Sep 13, 2010
Tech notes says rumrunner blocked security off. So if already s_off this won't relock will it?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Jaggar345

May 24, 2012
Amston
Tech notes says rumrunner blocked security off. So if already s_off this won't relock will it?

Once your security flags are off the only way to turn them back on is by you doing it manually. So applying an OTA will not effect them.

Sent from my Droid DNA. If I have helped you in any way please press the thanks button.

Spider210

Sep 13, 2010
Once your security flags are off the only way to turn them back on is by you doing it manually. So applying an OTA will not effect them.

Sent from my Droid DNA. If I have helped you in any way please press the thanks button.

So by taking the ota with s-off won't prevent using roms in the future?

Top Liked Posts