[Q] Encrypted i9500 -> self factory reset -> can't access my data

Search This thread

hhtanev

Feb 21, 2014
Hello every one,

I have galaxy s4 gt-i9500 with android 4.3 and I encrypted my phone some time ago.
What happened yesterday is my BIG problem. Because of an app my phone was frozen and then it made factory reset by itself. After I turned it on and got into the phone I was not able to see any previous data (which is normal after factory reset) everything was deleted, but... not exactly.

I checked the storage and now I have the same free space which I had before the reset. So basically my encrypted data is on my phone, but there is no way to access it or at least I don't have the skills.

The device showed me that my phone is still encrypted, but it did not make sense, because everything disappeared and I did not have my data.

What I did last night is to decrypt the phone, but it was strange, because I had to make new password in order to continue the process, instead of typing my old one. So I made the new password, which is my old one, and I decrypted the device. Still I could not access any previous data.

I don't have a SD card, the internal memory is encrypted only. So I am missing around 5.2gb of more free storage, which is the exact amount of my data - photos, docs, etc. These 5.2 gbs are shown as "Miscellaneous files", but of course when I open the ""m. files" the biggest thing in the list is the cloudagent with only 4.86mb

So as far as I can understand my files are still on the phone (hopefully) and the android shows so, but I cannot recover them.

Is there any way to recover these files or at least to delete (if there is no hope of recovering) the 5.2gb on my phone.

Thank you for your time!