[Tut] Preparing Your One X for Custom Roms (For Dummies) [Mac OS X]

Search This thread

MrGarak

Oct 20, 2010
Dublin
I did it in Lion. You need to be a member of the wheel group to use sudo as I understand it, an administrator account should have this access.

If you're still stuck you can attempt this solution I found online which a few people said works in Lion:

Reboot into single user mode (hold Option S while booting until it switches to text mode)

At the single user prompt, type: /sbin/fsck -fy

This checks the filesystem integrity

Then type: /sbin/mount -wu /

This mounts the root filesystem as read/writable.

Next type: /bin/chmod 1775 /

This will correct the permissions for your / directory

Type: /bin/sync

This will make sure the change is written to the filesystem

Type: exit

Your mac will continue booting as normal and life should be good! Sudo should work.

sphuyal

Sep 1, 2009
OSLO
I keep getting denied permission, even with the password, and "operation not supported." Is this guide for use in Snow Leopard or Lion?

This guide works in Lion (i did it in Lion). Make sure that you have administrator rights otherwise sudo command would not work. You can try enabling root access for your user account in your mac (just google for how to enable superuser rights in "whatever OS you have"). In Lion it is under /system/library/coreservices

Reactions: Hemlocke

Hemlocke

This guide works in Lion (i did it in Lion). Make sure that you have administrator rights otherwise sudo command would not work. You can try enabling root access for your user account in your mac (just google for how to enable superuser rights in "whatever OS you have"). In Lion it is under /system/library/coreservices

Yeah, I found what I was doing wrong and got it fixed. Thanks.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

jermx

Oct 10, 2009
I did it in Lion. You need to be a member of the wheel group to use sudo as I understand it, an administrator account should have this access.

If you're still stuck you can attempt this solution I found online which a few people said works in Lion:

I think you meant command+s right?

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

zesty2k

Jun 20, 2010
hmmm

i get:

Mes-MacBook-Air:fastboot zesty2k$ ./fastboot-mac flash recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.2.7-endeavoru.img
unknown partition 'recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.2.7-endeavoru.img'
error: cannot determine image filename for 'recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.2.7-endeavoru.img'

any help?

sphuyal

Sep 1, 2009
OSLO
i get:

Mes-MacBook-Air:fastboot zesty2k$ ./fastboot-mac flash recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.2.7-endeavoru.img
unknown partition 'recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.2.7-endeavoru.img'
error: cannot determine image filename for 'recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.2.7-endeavoru.img'

any help?

I simply don't understand why people don't rename the CWM image file they download to just recovery. And hey your command should be:

./fastboot-mac flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.2.7-endeavoru.img

i ve highlight what you are missing in bold

kash20

Jun 7, 2011
Great thread, and tutorial, worked great!

Am I right in assuming I can now go onto the Market and install Superuser?

zedeff

Feb 21, 2004
Mumbai India
Thanks. This tutorial got me inspired to root the HOX. I was mainly not sure how to use fastboot on Lion. Now no more issues. Custom ROMS here I come.

I do have a question regarding the tutorial. The tutorial says that, to install a custom rom, we simply have to wipe the partitions and then install the ROM. However, almost every other custom rom requires the boot.img file to be flashed before installing the ROM. So the question is, has this step been omitted from the tutorial.. i.e. when flashing via mac, do we not have to flash the boot.img?

Pls help

DivinDuck

Mar 17, 2011
I do have a question regarding the tutorial. The tutorial says that, to install a custom rom, we simply have to wipe the partitions and then install the ROM. However, almost every other custom rom requires the boot.img file to be flashed before installing the ROM. So the question is, has this step been omitted from the tutorial.. i.e. when flashing via mac, do we not have to flash the boot.img?

Pls help

I just rooted and installed Viper x on my HOX and when I did that I needed to flash the boot.img first, so I think it depends on the ROM.

yungskeeme

Feb 21, 2011
I was running CleanRom and wanted to try SlimICS. I was told I had to use CWM so I use the recovery steps in the post and now my phone wont go into recovery. In terminal it says this

192:fastboot 1bpearce$ ./fastboot-mac flash recovery boot.img
sending 'recovery' (5742 KB)... OKAY
writing 'recovery'... OKAY
192:fastboot 1bpearce$ ./fastboot-mac flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.4.0-endeavoru.img
sending 'recovery' (5742 KB)... OKAY
writing 'recovery'... OKAY

thought it was installed but stuck

kash20

Jun 7, 2011
I've had the exact same problem as above, I no longer have a recovery even though in fastboot, it says writing OKAY etc

matt95

Aug 8, 2010
Milan
i tried doing this but when i try to submit the hox code htcdev gives me an error...i'll try again now

EDIT: now works good ;) unlocked and fine :p

Last edited:

sphuyal

Sep 1, 2009
OSLO
Ok..so, how do we flash the boot.img via mac?

Right click on the folder "fastboot" (i imagine you have the fastboot folder with everything in there) and then click "start terminal at folder" then terminal window will open...type

Code:
./fastboot-mac flash boot boot.img

Screen_Shot_2012-08-28_at_9.17.56_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2012-08-28_at_9.18.26_PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: amirage

Zinta

Nov 9, 2011
London
I've been using my windows partition on Parallel Desktop to root and flash my O.X. so I have access to all the files required from start to finish, but I'm not sure what I need have as I have already rooted so I am unsure what parts I need to download so I can flash roms without going within a VM.. Any help would be much appreciated! :)

tom_m

Jun 7, 2007
Palo Alto
Weird, I send the recovery ROM off ok, or so it says "OKAY" ... Then I can't load into it. It seems to hang at the HTC logo screen with red text. Is that as far as it's supposed to go? I thought I was supposed to see some prompts with the ability to make backups, etc.

I used two different recovery ROMs at this point, there's so many linked I'm not quite sure which to use... I currently using the one in the "update" text... recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.4.0-endeavoru.img

After the recovery - I'm confused about how I wipe and install a custom ROM. The directions aren't as clear as they were for the other steps.

Or maybe I am booted in the recovery? I see what appears to be a stock install. I had to re-enter all my user info etc. So what I'm lost on is the nandroid backup and then wiping and installing the new ROM. I can guess how to do the new ROM, it's just the two steps prior.

Thank you for the guide. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be a pain in the rear or anything - I'm reading and re-reading, I've flashed other phones before and I'm a programmer. I think the guide is really good, but I think it falls apart at the end is all...At least for me.

Thanks for the help.

---------- Post added at 07:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 AM ----------

Maybe these instructions are not for AT&T version?
I followed this: http://onexroot.com/one-x-roms/how-to-install-custom-rom-on-rooted-att-htc-one-xxl/
It worked. Basically same thing only the recovery image actually loaded.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2012
Bricked htc one x ... About to smash it...

Hey all ... why can't any admins or any1 help me out ??? I have a bricked htc one x ... used to be unlocked, now relocked ... don't know what to do with it! No one wants to help out ... my last resort would either be to smash the damn thing or send it to HTC in Toronto for repair which I don't have patience to do ... can any1 PLEASEEEEE HELP OUT? Admins ????

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Big thanks to bagofcrap24 for his great original guide here.

This one is for OS X users with an administrator account, I did it in OS X (Lion) because I haven't got the Android SDK installed on Windows at the moment and didn't want the hassle of downloading it just for the USB drivers.

If you get the [Waiting For Device] message in Windows Command Prompt and have access to a Mac instead, you might also want to try this guide.

If you get 'Permission Denied' in Terminal try this.

If I made any errors let me know and I'll correct it.

UPDATE: If you see any errors on HTC-dev such as "We are sorry, but this section of site is temporarily closed." just be patient, wait a little while and try again.

Unlocking Your Bootloader

Before we can even think about doing anything the first port of call is unlocking your bootloader.

As of the time of writing this there is currently no S-OFF method available so this is the only method of flashing a new recovery or boot image.

I'm going to keep this as simple as possible.

1. Go Here "http://www.htcdev.com/" and create yourself an account on HTCDEV.

2. Download this fastboot file for Mac.

3. Make a new folder on your desktop called 'fastboot'.

4. Extract the file 'fastboot-mac' from the .zip downloaded in step 2 to this folder.

5. Go here http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/ and select "All Other Supported Models" and "then begin unlock bootloader".

6. Yes, tick both boxes, proceed.

7. Skip up to step 8 as we have all we need for the first 7 steps.

8. Power off your phone by holding the power button down for 10 seconds.

9. Power your phone on by holding power and volume down.

10. Highlight Fastboot with volume +/- then press power.

11. Plug your phone into your Mac and open a Terminal window.

12. Type this into your Terminal window:
    sudo -s (then type your password and press enter)

cd /volumes/"your OSX drive name"/Users/your-username/Desktop/fastboot

./fastboot-mac oem get_identifier_token
    13. Select & copy the text as per step 9 on the HTCDev website.

Terminal will add some characters to the left of the token, compare yours with the HTC example token, copy your token into the Textedit application and remove the text along the left to make them match, then copy the token again.

14. Paste your identifier token into the box at the bottom and submit.

You will receive an e-mail shortly from HTCDev with a link to the second part of the instructions and your "Unlock_code.bin" attached.

15. Download the "Unlock_code.bin" from the e-mail and save it to the same folder that we extracted fastboot files to in step 2.

16. Type this into your Terminal window:
    ./fastboot-mac flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin

17. The Display Will change on your phone, press Vol + to accept and power to confirm.

Congratulations, you have successfully unlocked your bootloader.

Now to the good stuff..

Installing A Recovery

This one is very simple to do once you have your bootloader unlocked.
    A thing to note; at present there is no USB-Mass Storage in recovery so if you are planning to install a custom rom i would get it put on the internal memory of your phone now rather than messing things up later and been unable to install it.

(if you have follwed my unlocking guide skip to step 4)

1. Download this fastboot file for Mac.

2. Make a new folder on your desktop called 'fastboot'.

3. Extract the file 'fastboot-mac' from the .zip downloaded in step 2 to this folder.

4. At Present The Latest Recovery is an Interim made by Paul O'Brien from Modaco, you can grab it HERE

P.S. its the top one out of the two, the bottom is stock recovery.

Update: Latest official touch and non-touch recovery versions by Koush are available here.

5. Download the custom recovery and save it in the same folder as you did the fastboot files.

6. Power the phone off by holding the power button for 10 secs.

7. Select Fastboot with volume + or - then press power.

8. Plug your phone into your Mac and open a Terminal window.

10. If you still have the Terminal window open from installing your bootloader then skip to the next step, if not then type this into your Terminal window:
    sudo -s (then type your password and press enter)

cd /volumes/"your OSX drive name"/Users/your-username/Desktop/fastboot

11. Type this into your Terminal window:
    ./fastboot-mac flash recovery name_of_recovery_image.img

in my case it was ./fastboot-mac flash recovery r1-modaco-recovery-clockwork-touch-endeavoru.img

Congratulations, you now have a custom recovery.

Flashing A ROM

1. Select reboot bootloader with volume +/- then power to select

2. Select HBOOT with volume +/- then power to select

3. Select recovery with volume +/- then power to select

You are now on your custom recovery.

4. First things first - do a Nandroid Backup of your current ROM in case anything bad happens.

5. Make sure you already have your shiny new ROM .zip on your internal memory as you cannot enable mass storage in the current recovery builds.

6. Wipe then flash your new custom ROM.

(You can flash the Super Wipe .zip from here to easily wipe your system partition and prepare it for the fresh ROM, thanks mike1986.)

OR you can download the latest SuperSU binaries from HERE and install them Via Recovery to just root the stock ROM.

Hope this helps some of you.
    You can use Homebrew to install the Android tools if you want. It will also update them for you if you ask it to, via a simple command. Pretty convenient.

http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/
    No problem, have fun ;)
    Might be worth mentioning that the official CW recovery is available in basic and touch formats from here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24738635&postcount=1

Great and concise guide, by the way. Hope this helps someone. ;)
    i have lion and i click it the folder and i don't see this

Services > New Terminal at Folder

Just for the records...to get the "services" option after you right click, go to system preferences and then select keyboard and then choose "services" on left there is a option on the right panel where you can check for the "new terminal at folder" (do not remember exactly where)

Screen_Shot_2012-04-14_at_1.28.41_PM.jpg

EDIT: Screenshot added